Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Weight of a Pontiac V8?

Anyone know about what a pontiac v8 such as a 400 weighs, complete?

Thanks

Country Flag: United States
      Define complete. Aluminum intake and heads or original cast iron parts.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Aluminum intake, heads, water pump. Alt. No power sterring or ac. Headers.

The only info I could come up with was for a 389 (not sure if it's related to the 400's or not), but stock that weighed 650 lbs. Pontiac engines tend to run a little on the heavy side but are usually lighter than an equivalent Chevy.
      -Jim...

1970 Mustang Mach 1, Global West tubulars, roller bearing everything, del-a-lums, 355 Windsor Tremec TKO 600, lots more on the way
      A few other cool toys too

Really, my stock all cast iron 400 pontiac weighs less than a SBC 400?
      1968 Firebird 400

all I know is that all iron pontiacs are really really heavy...........sorry

I thought I heard somewhere to that they were close to a little lighter than a small block. Didn't make sense to me though.

My stock 350 2 barrel pontiac motor with everything on it was weight at my uncles job at 668 lbs. with no oil. It had headers on it too, not sure how much it added to the weight. So i'm note sure how much it weights without all the stuff
      -David

Very interesting, anyone got the weight for a stock small block, set up like his was when weighed?

Country Flag: Canada
      A complete 400 dry weighs approx 630 lbs. From personal experience I figure that the aluminum intake is worth about 15 to 20 lbs and the heads should be at least 50 to 60 easy (for the pair). So my guess would be close around 550 to 565 lbs.

My 350 is taken apart right now. so i could weight the parts if you want me too. The block has everything on it, but the oil pan. The heads are also complete. I sold everythign else off of it. I read somewhere that depends on the cranks and stuff pontiac motors weight 590-650, Not sure if it's with everything on them or not.
      -David

I've got some generally similar weight information fairly handy. The same 590 - 650 range (which is probably from the same reference list), and some weight & dimensions tables out of Hot Rod Magazine (Oct 77, Jan 80) that give 640# for the entire 326/350/389/400/428/455 line. That's for all-iron OE versions, BTW. The same references give 575# for the SBC and 685# for the BBC, again, the data is for all-iron.

Norm
      '08 GT coupe, 5M, suspension unstockish (the occasional track toy)
      '19 WRX, Turbo-H4/6M (the family sedan . . . seriously)
      Gone but not forgotten dep't:
      '01 Maxima 20AE 5M, '10 LGT 6M, '95 626, V6/5M; '79 Malibu, V8/4M-5M; '87 Maxima, V6/5M; '72 Pinto, I4/4M; '64 Dodge V8/3A

A lot more than an LSx?
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Thanks for the info, ...

LSWhat?

Old thread, but I've always been curious about the weight of a Pontiac V8, given that they're all the same size.. there is no small or big block. I assume casting weights are different (thicker walls for larger displacement), but if not, a 455 block would weigh less than a 326 because more iron would be removed for a bigger bore. A large journal crank (421 and 455) would weigh more with more metal in 0.25" larger journals and longer stroke. 455 pistons would weigh more (if same material) for 455 vs 326 - but aluminum is lighter than the cast iron which it would displace. Rods are all the same, as are intake, water pump, etc.
      I don't know much about small block/big block Chevy engine weights, but think a SBC would be much lighter than a Pontiac engine. The previous owner put a 383 aluminum head/intake manifold engine in my 69GP - it's much lighter as can be seen by the profile (front springs would need to be changed to restore proper front end height). FYI (and mine..) inet says weight of a Chevy 350 ZZ4 with aluminum heads and intake is 405 lbs.. about 225 less than Northern Goat's post w/630 lb.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com