Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1973 F-Body - DSE Q-Link - Subframe Connectors

I have inherited a 1973 Trans Am project where the original owner went DSE Q-Link out back and DSE Subframe up front - but did not go with the DSE Weld-In Subframe Connectors. At this stage of completion (interior is in and it is in the paint booth) I do not feel like back-tracking to remove the interior to cut the floor pans for the DSE weld-in units. I am wondering if Hotchkis Subframes will work with the DSE Q-Link. The front locating point on the DSE subframe appears identical to the factory subframe, so that looks compatible. It also looks like the Hotchkis connectors attach to the rear factory frame rail - which the DSE Q-Link appears to leave alone and intact. Studying photos (actual car is at a shop several states away) it looks like the Hotchkis subframe connectors should work. Im just wondering if anyone here on the forum has been there and done that? Thank you all.

Country Flag: United States
      I have a 70 Camaro, full DSE suspension front and rear. Looking at my Q-link photos and connector install VS the Hotchkis subframe connectors, the short answer is No, the Hotchkis connectors will not fit.

To do the DSE Q-link, you cut and narrow the rear frame rail from the front leaf spring pocket all the way back to where it curves up for the rear end. I do not remember the exact amount that is narrowed, but it is about half the width of the frame rail. This is done to give clearance for the lower trailing arm. The Hotchkis connectors are based on factory width frame rails.

I'm sure the Hotchkis connectors could be cut up and modified, but they still have to be welded in at the rear. I would either not do the connectors, or just get the DSE connectors, since they are designed to work with the Q-link. **Also, I believe someone is selling a NIB set in the for sale section.**

side note, if the car is getting a complete paint job, the body shop should have the interior removed, so maybe its not too late to have them install the connectors for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigblockscott View Post
      I have a 70 Camaro, full DSE suspension front and rear. Looking at my Q-link photos and connector install VS the Hotchkis subframe connectors, the short answer is No, the Hotchkis connectors will not fit.

To do the DSE Q-link, you cut and narrow the rear frame rail from the front leaf spring pocket all the way back to where it curves up for the rear end. I do not remember the exact amount that is narrowed, but it is about half the width of the frame rail. This is done to give clearance for the lower trailing arm. The Hotchkis connectors are based on factory width frame rails.

I'm sure the Hotchkis connectors could be cut up and modified, but they still have to be welded in at the rear. I would either not do the connectors, or just get the DSE connectors, since they are designed to work with the Q-link. **Also, I believe someone is selling a NIB set in the for sale section.**

side note, if the car is getting a complete paint job, the body shop should have the interior removed, so maybe its not too late to have them install the connectors for you.
      Cannot thank you enough for the reply and the info. That helps a ton. Yes, I will look into going with the DSE connectors on this build. Well worth whatever additional cost and time on the front end will be.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com