Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Opinions on UN assisted rack and pinion steering for 67 mustang

Hello to all, I am building a street oriented pro touring 67 mustang small block, probably going with Hotchkiss TVS2 suspension, originally was going to go with a power rack and pinion but now I’m wondering if anybody has a unassisted rack and Pinion and how is the effort level on the street.
      These are things that you just can’t know until you know, if an unassisted rack and pinion is slightly better than manual Ford steering I think I would be OK with it and I could do away with a power steering pump any opinions would be appreciated.thanks

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Country Flag: United States
      Ever look at EPAS? Adjustable effort, no pump
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Country Flag: United States
      I have an unassisted R&P on my '64 Corvette from Steeroids. I'm running R compound 215/70/15 tires and a 14 inch steering wheel. Having just completed a 1600 miles road trip, I can tell you its great on the highway at speed, but is terrible around town. I'm actually concerned that the herculean effort it takes to turn the wheel at low speed will eventually, over time, cause some sort of failure in either the bolts holding the steering wheel to the column or the bolts mounting the column to the dash.

I'm just now researching adding the EPAS to the manual R&P or switching to a power R&P from Steeroids.
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

Depends on front suspension geometry (caster, scrub radius, wild negative camber...etc), tire size and weight. At a stop, manual steering is going to require some force, so plan accordingly when it comes to rack ratio and wheel diameter. It might feel like you are going to tear the leather off of a steering wheel at a stop, but once you're rolling it gets much easier.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com