Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Forgeline differences...

It's time to pick out my wheels. I've been set on the Forgeline ML3C Concave for a while. In Forgeline's gallery, they have a second-gen Camaro like mine with the wheels installed. I'm not too happy about the larger, flat, more pronounced outer lip. Is this an affect from the backspacing people order or part of the style of wheel? It looks like all of the Concave Series wheels have the flat outer lip. I'm looking for something more like this where the lip is far less pronounced. Should I be looking at a different Forgeline series then? Additionally, what are some of the significant differences between the Motorsport Series, One Piece Monoblock Series, AL Series, Concave Series, and Performance Series? All pricing is generally comparable and the descriptions aren't too helpful, so I'd love to get some feedback on this.
      1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

The best advice would be to give Forgeline a call. They're know their stuff and would be happy to walk you through what you're trying get and make give wheel suggestions.

You're comparing a 3-piece wheel (ML3C) to a 1-piece monoblock wheel (Nick's car). All 3 piece wheels will have some form of outer rim segment. How deep it is depends on your backspacing and overall width.

The ML3C also uses a flat outer rim shell as opposed to the stepped outer rim shell of a wheel like the GA3. I personally don't care for the flat rim shells and like the stepped rims instead. That is about personal preference though.

The monoblocks are going to be more expensive, but if you like that look, it's the path you will have to take. I assume you have seen them, but have you also looked at Finspeed? Another option in the monoblock category with similar styling. The F10 is similar to the look of the ML3C in a monoblock form.
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

70 Camaro RS Hunk'o'Metal - Previous Project
      71 Firebird Project T.O.W. - New Project

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
      You're comparing a 3-piece wheel (ML3C) to a 1-piece monoblock wheel (Nick's car). All 3 piece wheels will have some form of outer rim segment. How deep it is depends on your backspacing and overall width.

The ML3C also uses a flat outer rim shell as opposed to the stepped outer rim shell of a wheel like the GA3. I personally don't care for the flat rim shells and like the stepped rims instead. That is about personal preference though.

The monoblocks are going to be more expensive, but if you like that look, it's the path you will have to take. I assume you have seen them, but have you also looked at Finspeed? Another option in the monoblock category with similar styling. The F10 is similar to the look of the ML3C in a monoblock form.
      Spoke with Forgeline to get more details and spoke with Nick again as well. Forgeline basically said they can do anything I want and I immediately asked them about a stepped lip ML3C. They said it could be done, but only on 19+ wheels due to the extra inch the step adds. That's unfortunate since I'm sticking with 18", but good for others who might be leaning that way. I do know of Finspeed, but I'm not a fan of the look on the 1-piece monoblock wheel, with means so I had to find a new wheel entirely.

I want to stick with a 3-piece design with a stepped lip because I like the look and I like the repairability aspects and I also wanted to stick with the Motorsports Series since they will give me more flexibility on tires. I'm now looking at the GA3R, GA3R Open Lug, and GZ3R. I forgot to ask Forgeline when I had them on the phone, but maybe you guys know. Is there any performance of functional difference between the GA3R and Open Lug version or is it strictly a cosmetic thing?

All those details make a difference, so now it sounds like you know what you will have to do.

I believe the open lug versions are lighter weight which would be the advantage. Will be a little pricier due to extra machine work involved.

Good luck with the choice, wheel selection is a tough one due to so many great options.
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

70 Camaro RS Hunk'o'Metal - Previous Project
      71 Firebird Project T.O.W. - New Project

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
      All those details make a difference, so now it sounds like you know what you will have to do.

I believe the open lug versions are lighter weight which would be the advantage. Will be a little pricier due to extra machine work involved.

Good luck with the choice, wheel selection is a tough one due to so many great options.
      Called up Forgeline again. They claimed there are two advantages to Open Lug versions. One is exactly as you said. More material is removed and, therefore, weight is saved. The other advantage is easier access to the lugs for people who will be pull them off and on frequently, such as on a track day. Forgeline claims the extra material removed does not affect strength in any way and the cost for the Open Lug version is usually the same as the regular version.

I think I'm set on the GA3R Open Lug 18x11.5 with Medium Anodized Bronze for the center and Clear Coat over Polished for the lip. These will be run on 315/30ZR18's, either the RT660 or Rival S. Now I'm just waiting to get the alignment tool from MCB so I can figure out backspacing.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com