Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Raingear or DSE, Which hidden wiper system?

I need a wiper system and like the idea of hidden motor systems. Opinions on what brand? Pros? Cons? Edited to add: 68 Camaro

For what car would help.
      Tracey

Quote Originally Posted by Tsaints1115 View Post
      For what car would help.
      68 Camaro

Country Flag: United States
      In for the replies...I want a completely clean firewall, so I'm leaning towards the Raingear setup. The DSE piece is very nice I'm sure, I just want a smooth firewall.

I just installed a Raingear set up in my 67 Camaro- very straight forward and easy with solid instructions. Didn't take much time at at besides cutting out the old sheet metal and installing a new patch ( i cut the whole area out and fabbed my out patch out of 18g sheet metal to be completely smooth rather than the patch provided in the kit).

High quality parts/kit.

Here's a good youtube video to help as well.

Thanks,
      John

Dave
      84 Monte SS - just a few bolt-ons

Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
      I need a wiper system and like the idea of hidden motor systems. Opinions on what brand? Pros? Cons? Edited to add: 68 Camaro
      I haven't got my car on the road yet but the rain gear is a very well engineered kit. Install was like 2 hours and pretty easy.
      Jason

TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Guess I should have updated this. I went with the RainGear and couldn't be happier. Great set up, easy install and works. Love it

Thanks for the updates!

Could you guys share where you ran the wiring through to get inside the car?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by John McIntire View Post
      Thanks for the updates!

Could you guys share where you ran the wiring through to get inside the car?

Thanks!
      I followed the rain gear instructions to the t. It describes drilling the hole between 4 a d 6 inches from the center of the driver wiper drive mount hole. I went with 5". You get a rubber grommet with it and just run them through it. I drilled it as high in the cowl as a drill and bit allowed for water shedding reasons.
      I've wound up drilling quite a few holes in the cowl panel between rain bear, vintage ac, and my ecm mounts etc. I used a rubber washer and at stainless washers alonng with 1/4"X20 allen head stainless for all bolts. My cowl pan will be sealed in the original one vented cowl panel holes so water won't be an issue anyway.
      Jason i
      tankmasterj
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

I'm considering both of these kits for a 79 Trans Am. DSE's kit only goes up to '77 for Firebird (and '78 Camaro for some reason), and Raingear lists a version that is specific to 79-81 (and another version for 70-78). Does anyone know what's different for '79 and up? Is it just the switch/bracket? And if so, wondering if this relevant to Firebird since the wiper switch location and orientation is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Alponcho View Post
      I'm considering both of these kits for a 79 Trans Am. DSE's kit only goes up to '77 for Firebird (and '78 Camaro for some reason), and Raingear lists a version that is specific to 79-81 (and another version for 70-78). Does anyone know what's different for '79 and up? Is it just the switch/bracket? And if so, wondering if this relevant to Firebird since the wiper switch location and orientation is the same.
      DSE doesn't make one anymore for the articulated arms that park ('hidden'). And I think that was all of them by 79. That was an option in the earlier years, but became standard at some point. Motors are not interchangeable from old style vs hidden. Raingear calls it pantograph

I have the old DSE ones for the articulated arms and its problematic and DSE doesn't have any answers. Not surprising they don't make one now

Newport wipers is another option.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Do the wiper arms on the Raingear system park below the hood line, like the OEM concealed ones do? Raingear says their system is hidden, but I suspect they're referring to the fact that the motors are located in the cowl rather than whether the wiper arms are visible.

I looked into the Newport wiper motor...but as with the other systems, they just list for '70-78 (two versions, with and without pantograph). Again, not sure what's different about 79 and up.

The only reason why I'm even considering aftermarket wiper systems is because the washer part attached to the OEM wiper motor interferes with the fuel rail.

Do the wiper arms on the Raingear system park below the hood line, like the OEM concealed ones do? Raingear says their system is hidden, but I suspect they're referring to the fact that the motors are located in the cowl rather than whether the wiper arms are visible.

I looked into the Newport wiper motor...but as with the other systems, they just list for '70-78 (two versions, with and without pantograph). Again, not sure what's different about 79 and up.

The only reason why I'm even considering aftermarket wiper systems is because the washer part attached to the OEM wiper motor interferes with the fuel rail.
      There is no place for the wipers to park below the cowl. The motor is hidden and all that is exposed are the arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
      There is no place for the wipers to park below the cowl. The motor is hidden and all that is exposed are the arms.
      Perhaps my query wasn't clear enough, so let me restate more directly. On a second gen F body, where do the wiper arms park with the Raingear system? Is it closer to where the wiper arms park with an OEM concealed/hide away/hidden/depressed wiper set-up (standard 77-81, below the back edge of the hood) or closer to where the wiper arms park with the standard (for 70-76) non-concealed wiper set-up (on the glass peaking out above the back edge of the hood)?

I have the same question for the DSE and Newport wiper motors.

Perhaps my query wasn't clear enough, so let me restate more directly. On a second gen F body, where do the wiper arms park with the Raingear system? Is it closer to where the wiper arms park with an OEM concealed/hide away/hidden/depressed wiper set-up (standard 77-81, below the back edge of the hood) or closer to where the wiper arms park with the standard (for 70-76) non-concealed wiper set-up (on the glass peaking out above the back edge of the hood)?

I have no clue on a 2nd Gen

Call Raingear. They are very helpful.
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

the actual wiper arms dictate what you need.

hidden
      Name:  WA hidden.jpeg
Views: 45
Size:  7.2 KB

regular (these might be 1st gen, but concept is the same)
      Name:  WA regular.jpeg
Views: 46
Size:  5.1 KB

edit: to be clear, that is not the only difference, its just an easy way to ID. The motor, the motor mounting plate, the harness, the wiper transmission are all different from one system to the other. Do a quick google of something like "1979 camaro wiper differences hidden vs standard" and you'll get a number of threads on this.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com