Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Recommendations for Fuel Injection on 1973 Pontiac 455 (73 bird)

Can anyone talk to me about a successful Holley Sniper install on a mild 455? I am thinking of going this way since the carb is pretty roached on my car. What ancillaries did you purchase to make it easier/more efficient? Returnless system? Quadrajet system, etc. Did you get a 20.5 galling tanks inc tank or use holley or factory? I am pretty sure I don't want to stick with the stock tank so open to all feedback positive or negative please. TIA

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by chaosrob View Post
      Can anyone talk to me about a successful Holley Sniper install on a mild 455? I am thinking of going this way since the carb is pretty roached on my car. What ancillaries did you purchase to make it easier/more efficient? Returnless system? Quadrajet system, etc. Did you get a 20.5 galling tanks inc tank or use holley or factory? I am pretty sure I don't want to stick with the stock tank so open to all feedback positive or negative please. TIA
      Instead of the Sniper system, I would recommend the Terminator X Stealth. The throttle body looks like a Holley double pumper. The Terminator X Stealth uses the Terminator X ECU, which is a lot more capable and expandable. The ECU resides inside the passenger compartment instead of being housed in the throttle body, like the Sniper, which tends to eliminate certain issues. The Terminator X also has more versatile inputs and outputs and can eventually be used with a multiport system, or even a LS swap. Automatic transmission is also possible, if you choose a system that uses the Terminator X Max ECU.

For fuel system, I would recommend going with a Rick's restomod tank and a modern 5th gen Camaro fuel pump module. Use a constant pressure conversion kit from vaporworks, or even better, get a Vaporworks pwm controller.

If you need further help with wiring or tuning, please keep me in mind.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I agree with Andrew. Placing the electronics in the throttle body subjects them to high temperatures. High temperatures reduce reliability.

That application most likely requires mil-spec components to deliver decent reliability. I doubt that it uses them.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I used the ricks tank and vaporworx on my 71 with the LSA, I was just trying to go a bit more budget with this one. What you're saying makes sense with the control module though as well as the expandability should I choose to do so down the road. The car is a numbers matching car so I really don't want to ditch the poncho driveline but that could change later.

Thank you for the input, it is definately something I will consider
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Instead of the Sniper system, I would recommend the Terminator X Stealth. The throttle body looks like a Holley double pumper. The Terminator X Stealth uses the Terminator X ECU, which is a lot more capable and expandable. The ECU resides inside the passenger compartment instead of being housed in the throttle body, like the Sniper, which tends to eliminate certain issues. The Terminator X also has more versatile inputs and outputs and can eventually be used with a multiport system, or even a LS swap. Automatic transmission is also possible, if you choose a system that uses the Terminator X Max ECU.

For fuel system, I would recommend going with a Rick's restomod tank and a modern 5th gen Camaro fuel pump module. Use a constant pressure conversion kit from Vaporworks, or even better, get a Vaporworks pwm controller.

If you need further help with wiring or tuning, please keep me in mind.

Andrew

To be clear, I'm not saying to use the Rick's stainless tank. They have a stamped steel tank that is a lower cost option.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

We used the Rick's restomod tank and the Camaro SS fuel module with Carl/vaporworx constant pressure conversion kit and a Holley Terminator EFI on my 440cid. Hid the ECU under the center console ahead of the shifter.

Name:  TBI vs Carb.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  381.8 KB

Name:  Terminator TBI.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  330.6 KB

Name:  Ricks Tank + Gen5 Fuel Module.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  330.3 KB

Name:  Ricks Tank.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  498.5 KB

Engine compartment and tank looks "Holley-carb stock"! Runs better than ever! Tuned by Andrew!
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Beautiful car BTW - I have the Holley Terminator Stealth (2017 model) on my 1975 Trans Am with a mild build (Kauffman built 480 HP) and really wanted it to work. I have had nothing but problems with mine. I have changed so many parts and have had a few tuners and have had no luck resolving the issues, even with expert tuners. Frankly, I'm done with EFI and the headaches. I'm in process going back to a carburetor although keeping the EFI gas tank and electric pump. Mine is a street car, not a race car but I just want it to run correctly. Tuning and the units cost a lot of money. Maybe in the future as Holley gets better with EFI, I may go back. I feel they are more finicky than a carburetor. I am NOT against EFI, just letting you know my experience as I have a Pontiac Kauffman Stroker for comparison.
      1975 4-Speed Pontiac Trans Am 400
      Blueprint/Balanced Stoker 462ci, Roller Cam/Rockers/Lifters
      Tremec TKO600 5-Speed
      Holley 870 Street Brawler, Dakota Digital RTX Firebird Gauges
      Stage 2 Ride Tech Coil Over, Wilwood 4-Wheel Brakes
      Global West Subframe, Vintage Air
      17" Year One Wheels, Digitails LEDs

Bad75TA... I'm sorry to hear about your experience... My Holley Terminator EFI has worked flawlessly and my only regret is that I didn't do it 10 years ago!

I HIGHLY recommend you contact Andrew (andrewb70) above!!
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Thank you for all the replies

Quote Originally Posted by OLDFLM View Post
      Bad75TA... I'm sorry to hear about your experience... My Holley Terminator EFI has worked flawlessly and my only regret is that I didn't do it 10 years ago!

I HIGHLY recommend you contact Andrew (andrewb70) above!!
      I have been working with Elliot, but I suspect there are hardware issues with his throttle body.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Thank you, I like the setup. Could you share which front drive system and thermostat housing you are running? TIA
      We used the Rick's restomod tank and the Camaro SS fuel module with Carl/vaporworx constant pressure conversion kit and a Holley Terminator EFI on my 440cid. Hid the ECU under the center console ahead of the shifter.

Name:  TBI vs Carb.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  381.8 KB

Name:  Terminator TBI.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  330.6 KB

Name:  Ricks Tank + Gen5 Fuel Module.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  330.3 KB

Name:  Ricks Tank.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  498.5 KB

Engine compartment and tank looks "Holley-carb stock"! Runs better than ever! Tuned by Andrew!

Front runner is from March Performance and the thermostat housing and front water crossover is from Kauffman Racing.

https://marchperformance.com/pontiac...sive-kits.html

http://www.krepower.com/
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird

Thank you sir
      Front runner is from March Performance and the thermostat housing and front water crossover is from Kauffman Racing.

https://marchperformance.com/pontiac...sive-kits.html

http://www.krepower.com/

EFI tanks are on current back order from Tanks & Spectra. Holley uses Tanks units.

For the EFI, I run a 24x system. Its fantastic. Haven't had any issues with. Its a multiport system with coil near plug ignition. Uses off the shelf sensors .

PM me for details.

Name:  IMG_7979.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  394.7 KBName:  20200517_153102_HDR-800x600.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  89.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I have been working with Elliot, but I suspect there are hardware issues with his throttle body.
      Yeah , something is not right. Went back to Holley 870 AV Carb for now. Once I get funds and monitor the future EFI products for our classics I may go back to it.
      Kind of had a headache with all my EFI problems and EFI is not cheap when you need others to help do the work. Andrew will get a from me once I'm back to EFI.
      Tremec TKO600 5-Speed

Tried 2 Snipers, both failed under warranty. Never again.

Tanks Inc and any of their pumps FTW, though.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor5588 View Post
      Tried 2 Snipers, both failed under warranty. Never again.

Tanks Inc and any of their pumps FTW, though.
      Too many EFI guys going back to carbs so I thought I would try it too.
      I have the Tanks and in tank pump for the carb. 870 Avenger for now, then go from there..
      Tremec TKO600 5-Speed

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com