Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Ireland

Help with 502 timing specs

Hi guys,

I just picked up my new '47 Buick Super streetrod and it has a crate 502 chevy engine. All I got with the car was 4 pages detailing the customisations made to the car, but no details on the engine other than its a "crate 502".

Name:  F4393780-29BD-488E-B304-DC545A9BDD79.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  953.2 KBName:  F05C4099-3058-4752-97F0-97366B98D654.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  608.0 KB

I've pulled the numbers off the block (14096859) and the casting date (C313) and from what I can tell its a 502 GEN V - but I need help confirming that.

Also, where can I go to get the stock timing specs? The Chevy site seems to just list the details for the current engines.

Country Flag: Canada
      I see you have an HEI. You need to know what part number it is, and what amount of centrifugal advance it has been set up for. The 502 is a mild engine. You will want to have around 14 degrees timing at idle, and 36-38 at full advance by 2800 rpm. Then connect the vacuum advance to full manifold vacuum so that you have 26-28 advance at idle.

I would also strongly advise to get rid of that power robbing and poor cooling flex fan, install a thermostatic clutch fan, and a proper shroud for it, which the blades sit half into and half out of the shroud.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by hipockets View Post
      I see you have an HEI. You need to know what part number it is, and what amount of centrifugal advance it has been set up for. The 502 is a mild engine. You will want to have around 14 degrees timing at idle, and 36-38 at full advance by 2800 rpm. Then connect the vacuum advance to full manifold vacuum so that you have 26-28 advance at idle.

I would also strongly advise to get rid of that power robbing and poor cooling flex fan, install a thermostatic clutch fan, and a proper shroud for it, which the blades sit half into and half out of the shroud.
      ^^^Sound advice.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com