Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

73 Firebird with C5 brakes upgrade to Willwood Areo or FNSL

So going next stage on suspension and ended up doing a nine inch with my speedtech torque arm and DSE tubs. So thinking with wheels needing to be measured and ordered I should get my final brakes figured out.

Currently I have C5 brakes all the way around. I haven't driven car enough to know how good they are. I do have a wilwood I believe 1 inch MC tandem cylinder and Hydroboost (which I may remove now that I have a cam with vacumn)

Car is more for fun and enjoyment. I would like to do some events but if I was going all out I'd probably focus on my c6 z06 for that. I do want something that feels good and looks good to drive anywhere..which is why I love protouring

18 or 19's wheels probably Boze Clutch. Leaning towards 19 for the tire selection but man that is a big rim for the older cars!

Front suspension is speedtech streetfighter with atx spindle I think.

So contemplating finding a good bracket and parking brake for the nine inch to continue to run C5's. But leaning heavily into going with big Wilwoods. MCB quoted me two ways to go:

Areo 4/6 with 14 inch rotors front and rear. Seems weird to run the same rotors front and rear....
      FNSL 4/6 with 14 inch rotors in front and 12.88 inch in the back

I can't really find the differences of these two setups other than rotor size in rear and the Areo looks like a solid caliper. Any feedback, real life experiences is the Areo worth the $700 bucks more?

Or do I have enough brake already and get a quality bracket\parking brake for new rear?

Bobby
      1973 Firebird 466 Pontiac, T56, C5 Brakes, PTFB and Hotchkis suspension
      2011 Camaro SS Supercharged, ZL1 body and brakes, Z28 suspension.

Tons of different brake pads for C5's depending on your intended use.
      On my 68 C10 I used C5 brakes all around. The wheels were 20" so they made the 13" front rotors look a bit small. I changed out the 13" front rotors with 14" ZO6 rotors. The spindle hole is the same. The swept area is the same as the C5 rotor. I remade the caliper bracket moving the caliper out 1/2". Worked great. I did it mostly for looks.

If you took the Aero6 with a 4.04” piston area or the FNSL with a 4.04” piston area, you would not be able to tell the difference during normal driving. The Aero’s do have a few advantages especially when using them hard. They have larger pads, more rigid caliper, and I think use a 1.25” rotor as opposed to the FNSL 1.1” wide rotor, etc. So on a street cruiser, pick what looks cool and fits your budget. If you really plan on driving the car hard or tracking it, go with the Aero’s.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com