Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Widetrax View Post
      Starting with a really nice car to begin with really does save you years of time not fixing rust holes on a junk car! You are doing a better job than some in-discretionary shops wouldhave done!! Keep up the good work!
      Thanks!

The under coating was adequate but I wanted it to be better so I have undertaken scraping all the old off so I can clean everything up and reapply. I gotta say this part is not real fun. Using a combination of chemical paint remover, scraping and wire brushes on various air and power tools. Sure wish I had a rotisserie! Making very slow progress with this stage.

Your is looking good Scott
      Jason
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Been working hard on the build.

Heard from Roadster Shop my chassis has entered final assembly. Should be in my garage workshop in another month or so.
      In the meantime I have been ordering a ton of parts. Lots of backorders and supply chain issues currently. While it will be months before I need a lot of these items I am trying to stay ahead by ordering what I can now so hopefully I will have everything I need at the proper time.

Received the vintage air heat/ac kit and the front runner accessory drive.
      Ordered the Dakota Digital gauges. (they have about a 10 week lead time)
      Received my radiator and dual cooling fans. (cold case)
      Ordered the needed parts for the 3 pedal conversion. (Mcleod)
      Already have the engine (crate LS3), and transmission (t-56) along with bell housing, hydraulic slave cylinder, engine control pack etc.
      Ordered the brake booster and master cylinder (master power brakes)
      The chassis options include the brakes (Baer), steering rack, fuel tank, rear end and axles.
      Received the cold air intake kit. (roto fab)
      Ordered the sound system. (kicker)
      Received new taillight housings and lens/gaskets.
      Received the new wiring harness. (American auto wire)
      Received the seat belts (morris classic)
      Ordered the seats (Corbeau RRX - late September backorder)
      Received the steering column (Ididit)
      Received the steering wheel (Billet specialties)
      Few other small things.

Have most the main components accounted for with the exception of the drive shaft (will need the chassis here to measure) and the wheels and tires (again will need the chassis here to measure).

Whelp at this point Im six figures deep in this one and have a decent body shell and a couple rooms full of parts to show for it! lol

After finishing the wheel tubs I have been working hard on the underside. Since I got a body that did not need paint I couldn't really send it off the the media blaster. The undercoating on the car was ok but not good enough to satisfy me so I got to work with chemical stripper, angle grinder and a wire wheel and spent hours in the hot shop under the car going to town getting it all off. What a big mess that was. Honestly pretty miserable work but all projects seem to have a little of that. Pleased to say I have finished the removal and primed the bottom in preparation for doing the Raptor liner application soon. Was very pleased with the condition of the metal once I stripped it all down. There was some patch work under the passenger seat area and although the weld seems are visible and not the prettiest it was all in really good condition. Probably will grind those down a little and reprime before applying the Raptor coating.

Arriving today is a cover piece for the transmission tunnel to accommodate the T-56. This should give me the room I need and it is made to supposedly fit under the console with minimal modifications required. I want to install this first before spraying the raptor liner on the underside of the tunnel so that will be my next task. Basically just mark and cut out a big portion of the trans tunnel and weld the new one in place. Feeling much more confident that will be quite easy after all I learned on the wheel tub project.

Once I get done with that I will turn my attention to the interior. I have the Lizard skin 2 step heat and sound insulation to spray in on the interior. Have a fair amount of prep work to do before I will be ready to spray that. Im feeling pretty good about having that work complete when the chassis shows up.
      I need to modify the rear seat to accommodate the wheel tuns but dont know when I will get to that.

Really getting excited to get to the mechanical build portion of this project. That is the part I enjoy the most.

Finished with the bottom of the body. Did not enjoy removing all the old undercoating! I am really pleased how it turned out. Applied the Raptor liner and think it is looking pretty good. I got the body off the 2 post lift and back onto the cart. Next on the list is cleaning up the interior floors and then I will apply the Lizard skin heat and sound insulation. That should be substantially easier than working on the underside.

Latest update from Roadster shop on the chassis delivery is end of the month or right near the beginning of September. My progress is on track to finish the interior lizard skin and having the cart ready to roll to the upstairs garage to get to work on the chassis when it arrives.

Name:  up1.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  91.9 KB

Name:  up2.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  88.8 KB

Name:  up3.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  108.6 KB

Scott,

Since you're doing such a good job and you said you're going to use Holley EFI, I suggest that you think about variable speed fan control and integrating the AC compressor control logic through the Holley EFI.

VA now offers driers with an AC pressure sensor. I would use one of those and have that as an input to the ECU.

Email me to discuss further. projectgattago at gmail dot com

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Scott,

Since you're doing such a good job and you said you're going to use Holley EFI, I suggest that you think about variable speed fan control and integrating the AC compressor control logic through the Holley EFI.

VA now offers driers with an AC pressure sensor. I would use one of those and have that as an input to the ECU.

Email me to discuss further. projectgattago at gmail dot com

Andrew
      Thanks Andrew but I am not using the Holley EFI. I have the crate motor and the gm control pack.

Got the Lizard skin sound insulation sprayed. 2 coats yesterday that now needs to cure 24-36 hours and then I can do 2 coats of the heat insulation. Really like the coverage and how easy this stuff sprays on. Spent way more time masking stuff off than actually spraying. Clean up is easy also since it is just takes water.

Found a shop somewhat local to recover my back seat. I ordered some matching material from the seat manufacturer. Next thing I need to do is modify the rear seat structure to fit around the wheel tubs and then I can take it to the upholstery shop.

Here is a pic of the sound insulation sprayed but still wet. These are the seats I went with. The plaid won’t be to everyone’s taste but I like it for something different and it seemed somewhat era correct for a 60s car.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Work on the body is complete and ready for the chassis. I heard from Roadster Shop this morning that my chassis will be ready for shipping Monday so I should have it late next week or early the next. This build is about to get fun! Really pleased with the Lizard skin sound and heat products for the interior. That was my first time using it!

Name:  lizard5.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  121.2 KB

Name:  lizard4.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  122.7 KB

Name:  lizard6.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  121.7 KB

Those seats look fantastic and will match the car really well

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      Those seats look fantastic and will match the car really well
      Thanks. My next task is to modify my rear seat to fit around the tubs. My matching material is arriving Monday so I hope to get the rear seat frame to the upholstery shop next week.

Modified the rear seat to fit around the detroit speed mini tubs. Pleased how that worked out. I stripped them all the way down to the shell because I was concerned about the fire potential with only partially removing the materials.
      I ordered some of the matching material to go with the front seats from Corbaeu and dropped the rear seat and material off with the upholsterer today. He said it wold be a couple months. That is fine as I wont need them for a bit anyways. Front seats also on backorder until end of September (supposedly but I am not holding my breath)

My roadster shop chassis has shipped. Should be here in the next 6 business days. I travel for a living but luckily will be home during that timeframe. The chassis comes crated up and is heavy. I am responsible for getting it off the truck so I am hiring a flatbed tow truck to meet the big truck and winch it onto the flat bed and then we will get it down to the ground. Really excited for the chassis to arrive. When I ordered they told me 16-20 weeks we are right about 20 so great job by them.

Name:  seatmods.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  164.0 KB

Exciting progress, Scott!
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Roadster Shop chassis in the shop!

Got the chassis delivered today. I have been kinda nervous about the logistics of getting this thing off the truck and into my shop as it comes in a very large and heavy crate! It shipped from Chicago Monday and was delivered to me today (Thursday) in Alabama. When the truck shows up the driver has no way to move the crate. That is your responsibility. I hired a flat bed tow truck to be here and we winched the crate out of the delivery truck and then worked it to the ground and got it on some wheeled carts to roll it into the garage. My shop is in my basement garage down the hill so we were fighting against gravity. I had a friend over but it was a quite a chore for the 3 of us to get it into position. Then I went about attacking the crate. They really protect it well. I have an expensive pile of scrap wood in the driveway for the trash now!

It was so hot here today and after wrestling with the crate and cutting it up I was pretty whooped so didnt even open the boxes with the brakes, fuel tanks, headers and other components or look the chassis over that thoroughly. From a quick look it is really nice. Very excited to have it. When I ordered Roadster Shop told me 16-20 weeks. It was right about 20 so great job by them. That even included the time for them to send it out to the powder coating shop.

Really excited to move into the mechanical phase of the build.

Name:  chassis1b.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  112.3 KB

Name:  chassis1.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  120.5 KB

Name:  chassis2.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  chassis4.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  125.6 KB

This will be sweet!
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Awesome. I'm proud for you your build is rocking along. Keep it up
      Jason
      TANKMASTERJ
      Jasons Toys
      2000 HD Softail

That frame is a game changer for sure. The way that they design those frames there are no modifications to the body right?

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      That frame is a game changer for sure. The way that they design those frames there are no modifications to the body right?
      That is what they tell me. I have not checked the fit yet by lowering they body onto the frame but some initial measurements and it all looks good.
      They frame is made to accommodate the DSE mini tubs. I also have a gas tank I ordered through Roadster shop that is made to fit around the tubs. Hopefully it is a a good fit!

Got the car into rolling chassis. Installed the 13" Baer 4 piston brakes on all 4 corners and put the Guniwheel shop wheels on to get it on the ground. (well sort of, I have it on rolling carts to maneuver it around the shop easily). These Guniwheels are really slick. They sit outside the brakes so no clearance issues. Will work great until I can get my real wheels ordered up. Also checked the torque on all bolts on the chassis and greased the fittings where needed. Really enjoying the project.
      I had to lower the body down just to see how everything is lining up. All looks great.
      My only complaint is my shop is small and the lighting is crap so really difficult to get any good pics!

Name:  rc2.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  112.7 KB

Name:  rc1.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  119.7 KB

Name:  rc3.JPG
Views: 801
Size:  134.5 KB

Name:  rc4.JPG
Views: 740
Size:  93.5 KB

Name:  rc5.jpg
Size:  128.7 KB

The progress looks so clean, I am excited to see how this build will turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
      Got the car into rolling chassis. Installed the 13" Baer 4 piston brakes on all 4 corners and put the Guniwheel shop wheels on to get it on the ground. (well sort of, I have it on rolling carts to maneuver it around the shop easily). These Guniwheels are really slick. They sit outside the brakes so no clearance issues. Will work great until I can get my real wheels ordered up. Also checked the torque on all bolts on the chassis and greased the fittings where needed. Really enjoying the project.
      I had to lower the body down just to see how everything is lining up. All looks great.
      My only complaint is my shop is small and the lighting is crap so really difficult to get any good pics!

Name:  rc2.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  112.7 KB

Name:  rc1.jpg
Size:  119.7 KB

Name:  rc3.JPG
Views: 801
Size:  134.5 KB

Name:  rc4.JPG
Views: 740
Size:  93.5 KB

Name:  rc5.jpg
Size:  128.7 KB
      I had same problem with lightning so I bought 6 300watt LEDs. What a difference.
      Your car is looking awesome and your progress is coming to along rather quickly. Keep it up.
      Jason
      TANKMASTERJ
      Jasons Toys
      2000 HD Softail

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com