Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Basic wiring advice Bat/Start/Alt/Fuse

A little background. Had my 68 Cougar done with an AAW classic update harness for the Mustang. The shop did an overall good job but some years later now I'm wondering if I should redo anything.

Basically they didn't follow the AAW directions exactly and I'm still tracking down some of the wires I have questions about but I don't think I have any fuses or fusible links in the system between the Alt and battery or the Alt and Fuse panel in my case. I've attached a little doodle of what I have going on. I welcome any advice on adding a Maxi Fuse or two or three or in general.

Also, I know I'm going to probably add a standard relay to that ignition signal wire that goes to the starter solenoid. I'm pretty sure it's wired direct now. Still tying to get my head all the way up under the dash.. ha

Thanks

Attachment 186210
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Look at it this way. It doesn't hurt to have a properly installed fuse.
      Tracey

To clarify something, is the battery up front or in the rear of the car ?.

Basically a fuse, fusible link, or circuit breaker is added and sized to protect the wire. Generally a 12 gauge wire would take a particular sized fuse while an 8 gauge would take a larger properly sized fuse.

If you have a battery in the trunk and let's say a 1/0 wire going forward then you might be installing a 300A fuse right by the battery on this wire. Up front if you then have the 1/0 ending at the starter and then an 8 gauge going up to the alternator and then branched off of the alternator still with an 8 gauge to the fuse block, then the 8 gauge wire off of the starter needs to be protected by something like a 60A fuse.

Jim

Country Flag: United States
      battery Up front with a 1 Ga to the starter. and "I think" 8Ga to the Alt and then to the panel.

I'll also add that I'm about to install the Holley Terminator X Stealth on this car so that is why I'm wanting to make sure my electrical is solid and protected.

I took your drawing and modified it to where the starter main cable goes directly to the battery, the alternator output goes directly to the battery and then you have your feed off of the battery to the AAW fuse block.

On my modified drawing I also have what looks like the saw teeth on the blue wires close to the battery and these would be for either fusible links, circuit breakers,or fuses to protect the wire.

By having all of but the main cable and solenoid wire going to the starter, it would keep more of the wiring in my opinion away from heat and possible shorts not to mention possibly easier connecting of the wires to things.

Jim
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Disregard. Sorry, original comment didn’t contribute as well as originally thougt

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com