Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

hidden costs installing 4L80 transmission in non computer non LS motor

I was thinking of replacing my TKO600 with a 4L80. Yes, I know, but I have a bad left ankle and other health problems so it is getting about time. I wanted to buy a later model used one with converter instead of an early one so I did not have to have it rebuilt. First, what are they, and what are the hidden parts that will be expensive. Like I was told it would bolt right up to my BBC using a flexplate that I already have. then I found out yesterday that I need a special adapter or special flexplate that costs in the neighbor hood of 300 bucks. Then I find out that the old bent lines from one of my old automatic transmissions will not work. What do I have to do to put cooler lines on it? What does it cost. I have a 400R4 shifter out of a 89? Camaro I was going to use. So can I use that shifter and cable? Do I need to buy a specific lever at the transmission? I know about buying a transmission controller and drive shaft might not fit. But the yoke should. I have a Centerforce crossmember I plan on making work. Then I heard that you have to have a throttle position sensor on the carb. That will not be a problem for me, as I have a HP EFI. My radiator has a transmission cooler, and I hope to use it. I just can't afford expensive surprises. I guess I will detune my 489 BBC to 427 and a 700R4 .The reason why I wrote this is to let other people know what are the hidden surprises that will pop up and what they cost.

What car is the 4L80E going in?

66 Lemans conv with 489 BBC

I believe the trans tunnel would be too tight to fit without modifying.
      These will fit a tight trans tunnel https://www.ebay.com/itm/6AN-x-1-4NP...item5b84824ab9

I do not think a standard or even a HD flexplate would cost that much? Adapter, for what?
      I bolted up my 4L85E trans to a 1969 inline 250 6 cylinder, it bolts right up. Same pattern as SBC & BBC

Shifter, cable, & lever might work for you. I used a Hurst shifter designed for a 700R4 for my 4L85E & it works.

Transmission cooler lines, not much money for straight pieces of metal tubing you bend yourself with fittings + hose $50 ish, also not a whole lot of money for -6 AN hoses to be custom made less than $200 ish

Thanks, mean buzzen half dozen. Steel lines I can handle. My fuel lines on my FI added a couple 3 hundred bucks, buying adapters for different fittings. 4 fittings on my TPI cost $43 to $46 bucks each plus hoses. Just adapting from old to new style fitting was expensive with steel lines.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com