Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Ridetech or Ridetech

Hi Everyone,

I'm an inch away from pulling the trigger on my suspension. I have a 69 Camaro with about 500hp and maybe more in the future. I'm upgrading to hydroboost and 4 corner discs. I'm stuck with being practical and budget minded vs feeding the addiction. I'm building the car as a turnkey and go cruiser with consistent spirited driving and the occasional track day, hopefully.

There's a $3300 difference in suspension packages and I don't want to build and want more down the road or pay out the nose and not use what I paid for. Insight from users and builders is much appreciated. I feel like the vendors are truthful, but in the end want to up-sell.

So, ridetech StreetGrip or ridetech full coilover and 4-link? And Why?

Thanks

Country Flag: United States
      Having had their full Level 2 system with Truturn I would recommend the street grip. Was not happy with the ride of the Level 2. Sold the car.

That being said there are better options out there imho....

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

What size/type of tire are you running? Any wheel hop issues now? Answering those questions will help us point you in the right direction in the always controversial leaf vs 4 link debate. I generally tend to lean toward leaf springs, but at your power level it's a tougher choice. I have a setup very close to street grip I pieced together on my own that I'm happy with, but I have way less power.

I'm curious to hear what Don likes better in this price range.
      - Ryan

I have ridetech coilover systems on my 66 El Camino and my 63 C10. They both ride and handle great. The key is the correct spring rates and taking the time to adjust the shocks to your liking. With that being said, I was able to drive the ridetech 72 Chevelle with the Streetgrip system and I was very impressed. IMO, you can't go wrong with either, it comes down to what you want and your budget.
      Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Yelcamino View Post
      I have ridetech coilover systems on my 66 El Camino and my 63 C10. They both ride and handle great. The key is the correct spring rates and taking the time to adjust the shocks to your liking. With that being said, I was able to drive the ridetech 72 Chevelle with the Streetgrip system and I was very impressed. IMO, you can't go wrong with either, it comes down to what you want and your budget.
      I worked with Brett to dial in the shocks and spring rates. He even drove the car. Was still not happy with the ride. Sure it’s fine on smooth pavement but any discontinuities in the road and it was harsh. My Art Morrison equipped Camaro delivers a far superior ride.

I also built a Street Grip equipped A body. The ride was nice after working through all the installation issues. I credit the progressive rate springs for the nicer ride.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I'm running 17 x 8s. 275/40 in the rear and 245/45 up front. Was thinking about moving to 18x10 in the rear. I did get bump steer etc. I have garbage KYB Gas-Adjust, hotckkis derched leafs, with hellwig progressive cut springs up front. It was a PST kit back in the day when I first bought the car. I know either kit is a huge improvement over what I got.

Your current setup should be fine if you get some decent shocks. Those Gas-Adjusts aren't great to begin with and they're a very poor match for your springs. I think you'd be surprised how far a good set of adjustable shocks would get you, assuming the rest of your suspension is in good working order. ridetech, Hotchkiss, and Viking all make good shocks.

Bump steer would get worse with the street grip kit due to the taller ball joints; see data here: http://www.pozziracing.com/proforged_first_.htm
      - Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Motohead View Post
      Hi Everyone,

I'm an inch away from pulling the trigger on my suspension. I have a 69 Camaro with about 500hp and maybe more in the future. I'm upgrading to hydroboost and 4 corner discs. I'm stuck with being practical and budget minded vs feeding the addiction. I'm building the car as a turnkey and go cruiser with consistent spirited driving and the occasional track day, hopefully.

There's a $3300 difference in suspension packages and I don't want to build and want more down the road or pay out the nose and not use what I paid for. Insight from users and builders is much appreciated. I feel like the vendors are truthful, but in the end want to up-sell.

So, ridetech StreetGrip or ridetech full coilover and 4-link? And Why?

Thanks
      give me a call at the shop we can talk about your car goal and how to get you there, my shop is Suspension Geek 931-231-4505, real world no BS my shop is in Lawrenceburg TN
      Name:  20201022_150931 (1).jpg
Views: 538
Size:  245.5 KB

Stick with leaf springs if in a realistic budget. Also don’t be afraid to look at another brand like Hotchkis or UMI. Plan on parts outside of the suspension kit and an alignment.

I would suggest giving Rod a call (previous post). He sells most brands and will steer you in the right direction for what you’re doing. I ordered from him a few weeks ago myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathonar89 View Post
      Stick with leaf springs if in a realistic budget. Also don’t be afraid to look at another brand like Hotchkis or UMI. Plan on parts outside of the suspension kit and an alignment.

I would suggest giving Rod a call (previous post). He sells most brands and will steer you in the right direction for what you’re doing. I ordered from him a few weeks ago myself.
      What did you buy? How is the ride?

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      What did you buy? How is the ride?

Don

Hey Don,

For my car, I wanted to keep install simple. Initially, I was set on using a simple/low-cost lowering spring coil and good shock but ended up coughing up some cash on ordering front Viking Warrior hybrid coilovers (bearing shock base), rear Viking Warrior shocks, and Proforged upper/lower ball joints. My factory control arms are already rebuilt with AFCO delrin lower bushing, solid steel upper bushings and Moog offset cross shafts. We're waiting on Viking at the moment because they're a few weeks out on manufacturing I guess.

Either way, with that being said, I never had a problem with factory leaf spring suspension to begin with. I own a '79 Trans Am with WS6 suspension package and had it as my main source of transportation in high school and college. Now, I'm just improving upon that with simple upgrades. I'm sure it won't be AME level of performance like what's in your signature but I'm sure it will work fine for me. Ride "quality" can be adjusted on Viking shocks so there's a lot of room for interpretation there. Many suspension shops use Viking in stock replacement leaf or link conversion suspension so they gotta be good for something.

After speaking with Rod on the suspension, I figured out he's a Holley dealer. Since I need to finish up some things on my LS/EFI swap, I also ordered a Holley fuel regulator, 4150 EFI throttle body, fuel line, fittings, filter, etc.

Much to be determined but I'm moving along with the project,

Jon
      Last edited by Jonathonar89; 03-20-2021 at 06:08 AM. Reason: grammar

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com