Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Hybrid View

Country Flag: United States

Steering wheel recommendations...

Could use some help choosing a steering wheel. Car will be daily driven with 8-12 competitive track days a year. I would say I have extensive road course track time, but nearly all of it has been in brand new production vehicles (I was in automotive media for nearly two decades) and drove whatever manufacturers made. Now that I can choose, I'm trying to identify what properties are most important to me. What are the factors I need to take into account? How do those factors affect me? What product or manufacturer recommendations could you make?

Thanks!

Edit: One of the recommendations given to me by the distributer I'm working with has been Billet Specialties. There's two that I'm eyeballing right now (Camber and Formula), but I was hoping to find something with the center alignment indicator strip on it as that's been objectively helpful on track days. Thoughts?

1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

Dont know your budget but right now there is probably no one better than Sparc Industries. Pick something from their line up or design your own.

https://sparc.industries/collections...teering-wheels
      Greg

Quote Originally Posted by garickman View Post
      Dont know your budget but right now there is probably no one better than Sparc Industries. Pick something from their line up or design your own.

My budget is pretty open. It’s a part I’m going to be touching all the time, so I have no problem paying good money for a good product. I’ll check out Sparc right now.

I'm a Momo guy- had this wheel in a few rides, when it gets knarly just replace it. Name:  dash.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  210.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by shelteredchevelle View Post
      I'm a Momo guy- had this wheel in a few rides, when it gets knarly just replace it.
      MOD 69? That's exactly the shape I'm looking for. Did that fit directly onto your column or did you need to adapt it? I'm using an Ididit tilt steering column.

I went with a wheel from Sparc and I am extremely happy with it. Jonathan, the owner also picks up his cell phone every single time I have called him. Which for me, is important.

I am also going with a Sparc wheel. Jonathan is building a custom wheel for me right now that incorporates paddle shifters. Fantastic design and really strong.

Quote Originally Posted by garickman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Senek67RS View Post
      I went with a wheel from Sparc and I am extremely happy with it. Jonathan, the owner also picks up his cell phone every single time I have called him. Which for me, is important.
      Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
      I am also going with a Sparc wheel. Jonathan is building a custom wheel for me right now that incorporates paddle shifters. Fantastic design and really strong.
      I looked into them. They seem a bit more boutique. A bit more flashy. A bit more form over substance. That's not really my style and not what I'm going for with this car. Looks like a great fit for the intended application. It's just not the application here. Thanks for the feedback and recommendation!

I just had Momo in Italy make me a custom wheel so I could get the design, material, center indicator, etc. exactly how I wanted. You can do it on their site. I have a similar wheel from a cheaper company that I use when daily driving it and bust out the Momo for track and shows. I have an NRG quick release so it's easy plus makes it much better getting in and out with the thigh bolsters on my seats.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Con2R.com You can design and order a wheel online.
      Worlds Fastest LFX powered 1966 Chevelle, with a 3.6L/217 CI, 4 cam direct injected V6, 6 speed auto, full Hotchkis suspension, 4 wheel Wilwood discs, white w/red interior, cowl hood. 3260 lbs w/full tank.

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      I just had Momo in Italy make me a custom wheel so I could get the design, material, center indicator, etc. exactly how I wanted. You can do it on their site. I have a similar wheel from a cheaper company that I use when daily driving it and bust out the Momo for track and shows. I have an NRG quick release so it's easy plus makes it much better getting in and out with the thigh bolsters on my seats.
      I decided to go this route too. With the quick release, did that take the place of the adapter or is the quick release in addition to the adapter? I'd be worried I'm adding too much length to the column.

Edit: Poking around shows me the quick release still needs to be connected to an adapter. I've got the Ididit hub on order right now, but I'm thinking it'll be better to grab NRG's short hub instead to keep the column length closer to factory. What hub did you use with your NRG quick release?

I have an Ididit Pro-Lite steering column. NRG and Ididit partnered on this setup and it's designed for the short hub adapter you mentioned, SRK-170H. I then used the SRK-280BK Gen 2.8 quick release, but whichever style you prefer should work. I also did the mod to remove the pin so it's one less step to remove and makes it much easier to do with your driving gloves on.

I also hate logos so I removed the Pro-Lite sticker and the NRG logos. Looks super stealth.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      I have an Ididit Pro-Lite steering column. NRG and Ididit partnered on this setup and it's designed for the short hub adapter you mentioned, SRK-170H. I then used the SRK-280BK Gen 2.8 quick release, but whichever style you prefer should work. I also did the mod to remove the pin so it's one less step to remove and makes it much easier to do with your driving gloves on.

I also hate logos so I removed the Pro-Lite sticker and the NRG logos. Looks super stealth.
      I have the Ididit retrofit tilt column over the Pro-Lite, but looking at the lengths, all of those combinations should still work. And yeah, I'm with you on all of these logos. I remove them anywhere I can. Thanks for the feedback!

Alright. I have the Ididit Tilt Floor Column already. I'm partnering that with the NRG SRK-170H Short Hub and NRG SRK-200BK Quick Release. On top of this, I'll be using the MOMO Prototipo Heritage steering wheel. What I like about this setup is that it's going to give me a steering wheel position very close to the factory position, but I'll have the option to quickly switch to a different level and depth (eyeballing the MOMO MOD. 07 for that) when I'm doing track days. It's a flexible solution for me and I really like that.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Nardi Wheel

I found a Nardi wheel on eBay that matched my interior..... Got the Ididit adapter and the wheel from the same vendor.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by oleyeller View Post
      I found a Nardi wheel on eBay that matched my interior..... Got the Ididit adapter and the wheel from the same vendor.
      It's been hard for me to find pics of the Ididit adapter in black. Looks nice. Is that the factory column? The shape on that wheel looks real comfortable.

Sorry for the slow response- I used Momo's adapter on the Ididit column. I did shave the collar a smidge to clear it from the column, but I didn't see a need for the NRG quick release hub.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com