Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Alternator options

Good evening everyone,

I have an ls3 mounted in my g body. It currently has a g8 style 2 pin alternator. I want to switch to a 4 pin style. Problem is I cannot find one that fits the mount and clears my motor mounts. My engine is shoved pretty far back. I tried a c6 alternator and it hangs too far off the back and hits the motor mount. I am trying to stay away from the ls1 style to keep my amperage up. Does anyone have any ideas of alternators that would fit the ls3 style bracket, be the 4 pin style connector and have a compact case? Thank you.

Something like this fit the bill? I've had good luck with Mechman, used them on 2 different pickups over the last few years and they're still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      Something like this fit the bill? I've had good luck with Mechman, used them on 2 different pickups over the last few years and they're still going strong.
      Hmmmm, I dont know if it will. Do the truck alternators fit ls3 brackets?

Quote Originally Posted by 1985olds View Post
      Saying "ls3 brackets" is a little confusing. Do you mean Corvette style brackets? Accessories are chassis dependent, not engine dependent. So which accessories do you have, exactly?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

What about this?

https://brand-x-electrical.myshopify...pass-with-plug

There is a detailed YouTube on how it’s done here..

https://youtu.be/LAlPMteyWaI
      Worlds Fastest LFX powered 1966 Chevelle, with a 3.6L/217 CI, 4 cam direct injected V6, 6 speed auto, full Hotchkis suspension, 4 wheel Wilwood discs, white w/red interior, cowl hood. 3260 lbs w/full tank.

No idea. My post was more about recommending Mechman as a supplier than a specific offering of theirs. They make alternators for pretty much all makes and models. The alternators I bought from them made more amperage at idle than the factory alt made period, and fit in the factory location. If the alternator you want to use came on a GM from the factory, they probably make a high amperage version of it.

The problem with the two pin may not be higher output as much as it is voltage control. The two pins tells me the alt is controlled by the ECM/BCM and is pwm.
      That’s the issue I have and my alternator has a VERY specific case. Two years of V6 Camaro only. So I’m going to go the route of swapping out the VR. It may or may not work for the OP.
      Worlds Fastest LFX powered 1966 Chevelle, with a 3.6L/217 CI, 4 cam direct injected V6, 6 speed auto, full Hotchkis suspension, 4 wheel Wilwood discs, white w/red interior, cowl hood. 3260 lbs w/full tank.

No idea. My post was more about recommending Mechman as a supplier than a specific offering of theirs. They make alternators for pretty much all makes and models. The alternators I bought from them made more amperage at idle than the factory alt made period, and fit in the factory location. If the alternator you want to use came on a GM from the factory, they probably make a high amperage version of it.

[QUOTE=67-LS1;1355001]What about this?

https://brand-x-electrical.myshopify...pass-with-plug

This is what I did. Very very simple
      I too could not find a 4 pin alternator that fit my holley mid mount water pump without having to spend the outrageous $450 for what it seems to me the only 4 pin alternator that fits that mount lol

all you need to do is either use a small saw blde like the ones that are used on the mini air saws or you can use a soldering iron to melt the terminal after that its a matter of just unbolting the 2 pin regulator and bolting in the 4 pin regulator and you can either crimp or solder on the terminal

i had to trim some of the plastic on the plug shroud to accomodate the wider 4 pin regulator plug

heres where i got mine
      https://customelectricservice.com/co...or-replacement
      1969 frost green camaro
      LS3
      Speedtech pro touring front subframe
      ridetech rear 4-link
      moser 12 bolt eaton tru trac 3.73

Sorry for the confusion about the bracket style. The brackets are from a 2009 g8 with the l76. I think I found a solution. The G8 has the same belt spacing as an ls3 c6. So I'm thinking of using a c6 bracket which moves everything a little higher, which (in theory) solves the alternator running into the motor mount and the c6 ps pulley hitting my power steering hose.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com