Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'm struggling to find budget friendly wheels in 18x8 and 18x9.5 for my 69 Firebird

I've been searching for a set of 18" rims for my 69 Firebird project. I ordered Detroit Speed speed kit 2 for the front, and speed kit 1 (3" drop) for the rear. DSE recommends an 8" wide rim for the front, and a 9.5" wide rim for the back. I'm struggling to find a reasonably priced rim that comes in both 8" and 9.5" wide. It seems like manufacturers either make 8.5" and 9.5", or 8" and 10". Right now my budget will only allow for an off the shelf wheel, because I've blown through the majority of my fun money on the suspension, a 6 speed trans, and a Wilwood brake kit. Here are my goals for rims:

1- 8" wide with 4.5"-4.9" of back space for the front, and 9.5" wide with 5.5" of back space. These backspace numbers seem to be the collective choice for correct clearance, but let me know if I'm headed the wrong direction.

2- a spoked wheel design in black or gray paint, with a machined aluminum rim edge, and machined aluminum spokes. I want the brake rotor and caliper to show through the wheel spokes.

3- budget of around $1300 for all 4 wheels.

Something like these

https://www.carid.com/tsw-wheels/chi...on_id=43176272

or

https://www.discountedwheelwarehouse...95TRM205114B76

or

https://www.discountedwheelwarehouse...95SIL205114B76

I think a wheel with some lip on the front of the spokes might look a little more natural on a vintage car like mine, but I'm not locked in on that decision. Let me know if you have wheel suggestions. Thank you!

Country Flag: United States
      I can't think of any budget wheels that meets every one of those requirements, but these would get you pretty close. Cast 18x9.5's usually have 5.25" back space.

http://us-mags.com/rambler-u117-w-12064.htm (probably the closest to what you want)

https://www.ridlerwheel.com/650

https://www.ridlerwheel.com/607-grey

https://www.visionwheel.com/wheel/28...e?finishID=101

https://www.americanracing.com/produ...iamond-cut-lip
      - Ryan

Check out The Rocket Racing Wheels, Time Attack series.

Recommends is recommended, not required. If those were the only sizes that will fit, they'd say requirement. 9.5 vs 10 is a very, very small difference and won't make a difference in the back. Given a choice, I'd rather go oversize in the rear than the front. On the other hand, nothing wrong with going smaller, because if a 9.5 fits, a 9 will definitely fit. You can even go 8 inch all around, use the same size tire all the way around, and be able to rotate.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      Recommends is recommended, not required. If those were the only sizes that will fit, they'd say requirement. 9.5 vs 10 is a very, very small difference and won't make a difference in the back. Given a choice, I'd rather go oversize in the rear than the front. On the other hand, nothing wrong with going smaller, because if a 9.5 fits, a 9 will definitely fit. You can even go 8 inch all around, use the same size tire all the way around, and be able to rotate.
      Doing some reading on here, 10" on the rear will more than likely rub. It's going to be painful, but I'm probably going to have to wait till the car is completely assembled to measure for back space, before I order wheels. To get the right back space and width, I'll likely have to order something special, which will mean a minimum 4 week wait, and a blown wheel budget. With my wildwood brakes, I don't know if I can even fit a 15" steel wheel to be able to roll it around. I thought wheels would be the easiest part of this update, I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebean View Post
      Doing some reading on here, 10" on the rear will more than likely rub. It's going to be painful, but I'm probably going to have to wait till the car is completely assembled to measure for back space, before I order wheels. To get the right back space and width, I'll likely have to order something special, which will mean a minimum 4 week wait, and a blown wheel budget. With my wildwood brakes, I don't know if I can even fit a 15" steel wheel to be able to roll it around. I thought wheels would be the easiest part of this update, I was mistaken.
      A 10" rim should be ~11" from outside to outside. A 275 that most run are typically 10.9" and 11.4" respectively. So I would think you could the larger rim if you get the backspacing dead on.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Just to add another information point: on my 69 Firebird I have a Quicktime Ford 9" w/GM "metric" rear disc brakes and have U.S. Mags Bandit rear wheels that are 17x9 (5.250" backspacing/+8.00mm offset). I'm running a Nitto NT 555 G2 sized in 255/50-17. My leafs are Hotchkis "Sport" leaf springs (1.5" drop). Nitto says that tire has a 10.43" section width. Special note: My Quicktime axle was mistakingly made by them to Camaro width, not the wider Firebird width even tho I specified I had a Firebird.

With that wheel/tire, backspacing, and suspension height; I had to use a sledgehammer to smooth the inner wheelhouse that's against the outside of the frame rail - on both driver and passenger sides. I was just BARELY getting rubbing at full travel, it was making contact with the sidewall lettering on the tires. Same for the outside fender lip, I had to heat it up and roll it, not much, but about halfway as it was making contact with the sidewall just below where the tread pattern ended. This was all with the tires fully inflated at their rated pressure, not at a lower track psi.

I'm currently switching to IRS, 14" Wilwoods, 18" wheels (for better tire options, these 17" wheels do clear 14" Wilwoods), and the DSE mini tub kit. Once all of that is done, then I'll measure for new custom wheels.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebean View Post
      Some donut spares would be enough for rolling it around the shop, and should clear the brakes with no problem.

If the money's an issue, and 10s will rub, go with 8s or 9s. 8s let you rotate, 9 vs 9.5 is only half an inch. We're talking 10mm on the tread width, so maybe instead of 305s you run 295s.

Onebean, Coys C44 wheels will meet all your requirements. Just put a set on my 71 GTO. Fronts are 18x8 5" BS, Rears are 18x9.5 w/5.5" BS. There are three styles availabl, black, grey and chrome. I went grey with the machined lip. Nice flat center caps. Total price to my door was $ 1250.

Quote Originally Posted by 1971 Goatman View Post
      Onebean, Coys C44 wheels will meet all your requirements. Just put a set on my 71 GTO. Fronts are 18x8 5" BS, Rears are 18x9.5 w/5.5" BS. There are three styles availabl, black, grey and chrome. I went grey with the machined lip. Nice flat center caps. Total price to my door was $ 1250.
      Those are nice looking wheels Goatman. I'm very interested in them. Have a picture of them on the car you can share?

I wish you could get the gray ones with gray centers, like the black ones.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Here are the Coys C44 grey. My car is just coming out of paint and the tires haven't been cleaned up but you get the idea. 245/40r18 front, 275/40r18 rears. Rears are Nitto 555r II's, can't wait to try them.

Name:  GTO New Paint.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  235.1 KBName:  Rear Coys .jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  288.6 KB

I agree Bonzo, personally my long term plan may be to have these re-powdercoated in black chrome, they would really look much better I think.

Here are the Coys C44 grey. My car is just coming out of paint and the tires haven't been cleaned up but you get the idea. 245/40r18 front, 275/40r18 rears. Rears are Nitto 555r II's, can't wait to try them.
      Think you could have gone wider on the front?
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Possibly, I wanted to use a size I knew would not suffer from any clearance issues. It's deceiving right now because they just dropped the lift to take this pic and the front end is still sitting up and has not settled.

Goatman that is a sweet looking machine!

Thank you! will send some pics when completed

American Racing CL205 with grey centers... 4.5bs front and 5.5bs rear

OR Jason Rushforth can make you a set with custom backspacing for about the same coin! FTW
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

US Mags, Heritage

Rushforth night train: https://rushforthwheels.com/product/night-train/

You can get custom sizing in just about anything, just I’m Not sure on the pricing..
      Another similar:
      https://www.billetspecialties.com/wh...es/grand-prix/
      Dave
      84 Monte SS - just a few bolt-ons

US Mags 18x8 and 18x9.5
      Name:  IMG_1502.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  536.6 KB
      Name:  IMG-1232.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  774.3 KB