Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Having a rough time resurrecting 350/4 barrel combo

Engine tuning is not my strong suit at all. I started with FI and prefer to stay there. That being said, I'm trying to get my 85 C10 motivated again after sitting for a few years. It's a little bit Frankenstein as it has a TH400 leftover from it's BBC swap and the old 350 from my Impala.

Carb is an old 4 barrel from the Impala, no choke of any kind. Trouble I'm having is I can't get the engine started from cold at all without priming the carb with gas. It will start right up once it's warm.

Also, I need to work up a throttle linkage with a kick down switch for the TH400 (was apparently never there).

The truck is worth bringing back - no rust anywhere and the bed has no dents at all. Should I just ditch the carb I have and start fresh with something that has an electric choke?

Country Flag: Canada
      My 2 cents yes ... just get a new carb with electric choke
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Does the accelerator pump work?
      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Dorion View Post
      Does the accelerator pump work?
      Possibly not. It's clearly an old carburetor and hasn't been rebuilt since before I got it > 10 years, plus it sat idle for another 3.

It also makes squeaky sounds when I rotate the throttle lever.

I opted to go ahead and order a new Holley 4 barrel (with a choke) and just be done with that part of it. Hopefully that'll get me on to the next phase - street legal.

I too want to go FI. Having said that, I put a 650DP on my 5.3 and am feeding my OCD with an AFR gauge and lot's of tuning!
      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

The 400 kick down switch would mount on the gas pedal under the dash. Your 1985 C 10 should have provision to mount it.

Name:  kickdownpedal1.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  71.0 KB

That's new to me and different from what I've been seeing. I was planning to use a switch up with the carb linkage.

Found it online with minimal searching. Amazing how knowing what something's called makes it easy to locate.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmah View Post
      The 400 kick down switch would mount on the gas pedal under the dash. Your 1985 C 10 should have provision to mount it.

Name:  kickdownpedal1.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  71.0 KB

What carb? qjets accel pump die easy death but can be bought from NAPA separate BUT best path is 2-3 cans Berryman cleaner, pop tp and base.
      jb weld jet well pligs and icle passage plugs, replace base to body gasket.
      Inside find accel pump check, some are under a flathead screw. clean and make sure its free. spray through jets, idle mixture screw holes and main jets. make sure metering rods are installed properly.
      Also some qjets have adjustable primary metering rods, makes dialing in carbs fun.
      On a Holley pop squirter off, tip over and see if check falls out, if not its stuck,stick small pick or screw driver in and get it loose. if lucky its pointed brass check. Spray channel out. double check accel pump diaphragm. Newer Holley use rubber checks in float bowl but hopefully The old carb IS old, and has steel ball check. if holley adding pv blow out preventer check valve is good plan,especially if it has no choke. and usung 3-5 rated pv or lower helps cold starts and rarely causes any issues.

Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com