Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Looking for a hydraulic pump

This is going to be an oddball question, off the main direction of this board, and I really don't expect an answer, but I'd like to know if anyone is aware of the existence of a hydraulic pump. What I'm looking for is a "sandwich pump" that will bolt between a GM small block engine and auto transmission to act as a PTO drive. Ideally, it would be no more than 2 inches or so wide, and connect between the flexplate and torque converter for its drive power. I'd like it to be something that can be always on any time the engine is running, and generates enough force to run a 20HP load at a constant 2000RPM, whether the pump is being spun at 500RPM or 6000RPM.

Is anyone aware of such a beast? If not it'll be back to the drawing board on this side project.

I don't know of such a pump, but I am curious what you are doing.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

If I can find one, and the cost isn't too high, this would let me put all engine accessories in the bed, putting the weight just in front of the rear wheels instead of just in front of the front wheels. Just an exploratory, right now.

Would the net weight gain to the whole vehicle offset the advantage of moving less than 1% of the total weight rearward?
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

I would be removing the accessories as well as all bracketry, pulleys and other related stuff off the front of the engine. It would probably drop 100LBS off the front, and move it to the rear, so it would be like a 5ish percent front to rear weight shift. Trucks are very front-heavy, so this can only help handling. Plus it would look pretty slick. I already have a plan on how to do this that puts just an alternator up there, I'm just trying to eliminate that too.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com