Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
      Gonna ask an off-topic question here just to see if I can save myself (and all of you) from yet another post of mine. I'm playing with the routing of the fuel lines right now. Obviously, there's places where I must use fitments, but is it good practice to try and make single longer hard tube going from back to front or is it actually good to use some fitments here and there? Maybe where there's tighter turns that the bending tool can't make? I guess I'm looking for overall good practices to use when mocking up these lines.
      Generally speaking your bends are too tight if you are adding fittings to make them. I use one continuous length with no bends tighter than I can make with my tubing bender. Tight bends can cause a pressure drop.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathonar89 View Post
      There's a lot of conflicting information on this if you poke your head around with Ethanol. Some people say it's the worst corrosive thing ever and others swear by it with no claimed issues at all.

For those who may be worried about ethanol, brands like Lucas and Sta-Bil offer fuel treatment/conditioner and stabilizers for storage.
      There’s a reason new cars are no longer equipped with aluminum fuel rails.

And they typically come with nylon/plastic fuel lines instead of metal.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnUlaszek View Post
      There’s a reason new cars are no longer equipped with aluminum fuel rails.
      This can be said about many things such as manufacturers switching to DBW, decline of manual transmission vehicles and now eliminating gasoline engines from production.

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Generally speaking your bends are too tight if you are adding fittings to make them. I use one continuous length with no bends tighter than I can make with my tubing bender. Tight bends can cause a pressure drop.

Don
      Gotcha. This makes sense.
      1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

I’m guessing that since people have been doing this forever, there’s a generally accepted route from the back to the front on these cars? Like all fuel line run up the driver’s side or something like that? Again, I’m just trying to make sure I’m using common practices.

I’m guessing that since people have been doing this forever, there’s a generally accepted route from the back to the front on these cars? Like all fuel line run up the driver’s side or something like that? Again, I’m just trying to make sure I’m using common practices.

Follow the factory line routing. Hard line on the body/frame....soft line between gas tank to body, body to frame and frame to engine.

- - - Updated - - -

Follow the factory line routing. Hard line on the body/frame....soft line between gas tank to body, body to frame and frame to engine.

Ok. This helps. Everything down there has been stripped off, so I’ll have to go digging around for a diagram that shows where it all sat before. Thanks.

Ok. So some quick searches and I was able to find the factory routing. Seems simple enough. At some point, I would need to route the line to the driver's side to access the fuel rail on the LS427 as opposed to the original carb access from the passenger side. When/where do people usually make that deviation from the factory route?

Ok. So some quick searches and I was able to find the factory routing. Seems simple enough. At some point, I would need to route the line to the driver's side to access the fuel rail on the LS427 as opposed to the original carb access from the passenger side. When/where do people usually make that deviation from the factory route?
      Most factory fuel rails can be flipped to put the inlet on the passenger side.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Don
      This would be true for his engine.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I ran 3/8" NiCopp hard line following the OEM routing up the Pass side up to the motor mount. Flex lines from tank to hard line and from engine mount area to flipped fuel rail. Note: My engine compartment is busy due to being a dry sump setup.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Don
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      This would be true for his engine.

Andrew
      Don, Andrew, thanks again for the clarification. So I'm gathering most run the fuel lines up the factory route and do flip their rails? This would be a common setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Motobrewmaster View Post
      I ran 3/8" NiCopp hard line following the OEM routing up the Pass side up to the motor mount. Flex lines from tank to hard line and from engine mount area to flipped fuel rail. Note: My engine compartment is busy due to being a dry sump setup.
      This description and included visual is super helpful. Thank you, kindly!

Don, Andrew, thanks again for the clarification. So I'm gathering most run the fuel lines up the factory route and do flip their rails? This would be a common setup?
      People do whatever makes sense for their particular build. The feed line on my GTO is on the passenger side. I used a pre-bent 1/2" line that I got from one of the popular companies. I don't remember which, since it was 20 years ago.

The hard line terminates in the front, about where the firewall starts. From there I run a PTFE hose and AN fittings up to the rail, which is flipped on my engine. You will need an adapter on the fuel rail for the AN fitting.

This one works well and doesn't require any special tools:
      https://www.holley.com/products/plum...arts/751166ERL

This one is more robust and has a secondary retainer clip (which I like), but needs a GM quick disconnect tool (available anywhere):
      https://www.holley.com/products/plum...ts/AT991966ERL

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 03-17-2021 at 09:14 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Here’s how I ran my lines for a 69 Camaro pics are rear to front. I haven’t done the flex lines yet.

Name:  A172047C-2825-4F3E-9352-CFEEA95987C8.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  360.4 KBName:  D4DF5A96-69EE-4114-AEF4-0B8186E5B3DF.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  358.3 KBName:  66C7F630-0C2F-408C-A65D-21C08DB289DA.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  284.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      Here’s how I ran my lines for a 69 Camaro pics are rear to front. I haven’t done the flex lines yet.
      That looks good. I'm hoping mine come out that nice. So where your hardline has ended on the firewall, you're going to come straight up with the flex line and connect to your fuel rail coming from the back? Or you're going to keep going forward from the hard line and go up towards your fuel rail?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      People do whatever makes sense for their particular build. The feed line on my GTO is on the passenger side. I used a pre-bent 1/2" line that I got from one of the popular companies. I don't remember which, since it was 20 years ago.

The hard line terminates in the front, about where the firewall starts. From there I run a PTFE hose and AN fittings up to the rail, which is flipped on my engine. You will need an adapter on the fuel rail for the AN fitting.
      This is helpful. It has me thinking how far I should take the hardline in the front. My initial thought was to take it anywhere it's touching the body all the way up to the top of the firewall, but now I'm thinking terminating towards the bottom of the firewall will leave me more flexibility to re-route should I ever do some sort of major reconfiguration of the engine bay (like a dry sump or something).

It wasn’t very hard and you can see it’s just some soft bends. I only used the tool to make one 90 bend when turning from frame rail to firewall. Also the stone guard really makes it look perfect because it conceals the fact that the hard line is not 100% straight. I don’t have a tube straightener and honestly you don’t need it as can be seen by the pics. The nicopp line comes in a roll. I just put the roll on the floor and push it straight against the floor. Comes out pretty straight.

Yes I plan to route the flex line to the rear passenger side fuel rail. I think there’s maybe 18” of flex line at the front and maybe 12” at the rear. Should look nice and it’s pretty well hidden.

Another thing that you want to plan for is how you will mount the fuel pressure transducer. Here is the fitting that I used with the Cougar:

You don't want to mount that fitting on the rail (or on the engine) because the sensors are fairly susceptible to vibrations and mounting them on the engine shortens the life of the sensor.

Here is how I terminated the fuel line in the engine compartment:

Then the fitting above attached to the fuel like at the fender and a flex line goes to the fuel rail.

I was going through my Cougar build to find these pictures, and as I was going through, I saw many posts that I think will benefit you. You should read the whole build:

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...es-and-videos)

There are almost 1000 pictures posted.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com