Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Rotor Thickness Factors

Howdy folks,

Can anyone comment on the role rotor thickness has on sizing a brake system? Obviously thicker rotors have more mass to rotate and to suck up heat. Are there any other big driving factors for picking a 32mm thick rotor over a 30mm thick one?

Background:
      Since I don't push my nearly two ton Riviera to 8/10th, much less 10/10ths I'm sticking with common rotor sizes I can get at a parts store if something happens on a cross country road trip. I'm going with the Ford/Toyota/Nissan/Hyundai 5x4.5in [5x114.3mm] lug pattern there are lots of choices for 12.5-13in rotors to fill out Mustang type 18in wheels (again a choice more dictated by being able to get Crown Vic front hubs almost anywhere). There is however a clear break between the 12.5-13in and the 14in rotors in terms of readily available thickness, the smaller stuff is 30mm and the larger stuff is 32mm (how's that for mixing units). Calipers are setup for 32mm rotors natively so no worries there about them fitting but going with the thinner rotors also gives me a bit more options for wheels to keep the calipers out of the backside of the spokes.

Thanks
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      Experimental Physicist

'64 Riviera T-type: 4.1L Buick Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 OBDII SEFI swap

ROA# 9790

Quote Originally Posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
      Howdy folks,

Can anyone comment on the role rotor thickness has on sizing a brake system? Obviously thicker rotors have more mass to rotate and to suck up heat. Are there any other big driving factors for picking a 32mm thick rotor over a 30mm thick one?

Background:
      Since I don't push my nearly two ton Riviera to 8/10th, much less 10/10ths I'm sticking with common rotor sizes I can get at a parts store if something happens on a cross country road trip. I'm going with the Ford/Toyota/Nissan/Hyundai 5x4.5in [5x114.3mm] lug pattern there are lots of choices for 12.5-13in rotors to fill out Mustang type 18in wheels (again a choice more dictated by being able to get Crown Vic front hubs almost anywhere). There is however a clear break between the 12.5-13in and the 14in rotors in terms of readily available thickness, the smaller stuff is 30mm and the larger stuff is 32mm (how's that for mixing units). Calipers are setup for 32mm rotors natively so no worries there about them fitting but going with the thinner rotors also gives me a bit more options for wheels to keep the calipers out of the backside of the spokes.

Thanks
      Others with more insight might have other opinions, but I think it is all about the heat management. As you stated, thicker rootors have more mass and are able to handle higher temperatures.

It sounds like for what you are doing, the 30mm rotors will work just fine.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

The caliper comes into play as well. Use a rotor thickness that is designed to be used with the caliper so that the pistons do not over-extend, or the rotor cannot be installed.

For basic street driving the thickness of the rotor and the heat/mass relationship should not be a factor. I'd use standard, inexpensive, readily available parts that do not need to be modified to work.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Thicker rotors generally have more open space between the vanes so more air can flow through (better cooling) as well.
      - Ryan

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com