Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Venting...tank or filler neck

It seems I'm asking a bunch of questions on here as of late...got another, and thank you for all the help and advice!

I have a 67 camaro with a ricks tank and a ridetech filler neck. I have modified the filler opening so it is centered on the tail panel, which did raise it up about 1/2-1 inch. I have found and fixed all my fuel leaks, and I'm certain that there are none left to contribute to the fuel vapor smell in my shop, but I still smell a hint of fuel in the air. I think that the hose (2"ID) from the filler neck to the tank may be too big(ill measure that out later,) but the question....

Ricks tank has a 1/4" npt bung on the front of the tank for venting, but I have read that with a full tank, it saturates any vent system you put in (even II much vents). The ridetech filler neck as a n 1/8" npt at the top of the neck for optional venting. Would it be best to use that?

Anyone ever used this filler neck, and if so, how did you vent it?
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

I think you could tee the two vents together and the connect to a iimuch vent. Check with John at iimuch.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by ULTM8Z View Post
      I had previously seen this post, but it appears that some of the components are no longer available. I did like the routing of the vent though. It was that picture that made me think the vent on the neck was the better idea.
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

Yeah that mushroom valve is discontinued. My guess is though you could probably find something equivalent. Its basically just a check valve.

But the system works perfectly. Not a whiff of fuel in the garage or at any time. Fuel tank doesn't build up pressure, etc...
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

I used a tanks Inc roll over vent and ran the vent off the ridetech filler neck down the hole in the trunk pan and made a bracket for it to mount behind the license plate. A quarter inch tube connects the vent to the black line provided with the ridetech filler. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-vvr

This is what Stielow does for his venting. He then uses a ii much vent mounted in the trunk.

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthr...=57667&page=58

Here is what I did to my Rick's tank. I ran the vent lines up to a II Much vent in the trunk.
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

There are older models of the “Rick’s” tank that have an internal manifold, for instance Brewmasters tank. He opted to plug the existing port/manifold and add his own port locations. He’s been driving with that setup for a bit and I believe has not had any issues. Newer Rick’s tanks have a nice two port design with one on the filler and another on the body of the tank.
      Regarding the ridetech filler neck, a port can be run from it, but I believe the one on the very top is too high for most people and they plug it and drill a new one.
      Notice with three ports on brewmasters tank its almost impossible to create a situation where the tank can’t breathe.
      Last edited by JohnUlaszek; 03-06-2021 at 12:38 PM.

My tank has a vent port (just one) on the front of the tank. I never checked to see if it was internally baffled to prevent fuel from intruding. Since I have a 67, the ridetech filler neck vent port is in the trunk, but still very accessible. I should be okay just using the one vent correct?

My build Beast

You should tee them together imho.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by absintheisfun View Post
      My tank has a vent port (just one) on the front of the tank. I never checked to see if it was internally baffled to prevent fuel from intruding. Since I have a 67, the ridetech filler neck vent port is in the trunk, but still very accessible. I should be okay just using the one vent correct?
      It really depends on the tank. Some designs do just fine under normal driving conditions but can’t handle auto-cross, or maybe being parked on an inclined driveway. Other designs have issues immediately with a full tank because the venting strategy might not be compatible with the installed condition of the tank, such as ride height/stance.

I've got a question: here's my setup 67 camaro with Ricks Tank 1 vent in the front and II much Vent mounted in the trunk. Before I tore it down for paint did several track days and a couple Auto X events never had fuel smell issues but I always had a problem in just pumping gas into the tank. If i didnt go painfully slow in filling it up it would back up and splash out. I have a ridetech filler which i will be adding shortly to aid in venting but does anyone else have the same issue. now that its painted i'm concerned with the splash in i do fill it up.

Ive got just a regular tank but used the ridetech filler. The angle of the filler was off, kind of pinched the hose, I had it cut reangled and welded and now it fills much better. Sucks to have to cut and fix a $225 filler neck but I had to.

If you are venting from the filler neck its hard to get air out of the tank as the fuel goes in resulting in the phenomena you’ve described. A second port on the tank should mitigate this.

I have no problems during filling with my tank. In fact I filled it today all the way to the top with no spillage or back flow with no slowing of the pump until the last gallon. You can see in the pictures of my tank in my earlier post I have both the filler neck and a high mount location (two in my case) on the front of the tank. They are connected which allows multiple points for venting. These are then connected to a vent (II Much) located in the trunk. The lines leading to the vent are sloped upwards to the inlet of the vent canister with no kinks. The outlet of the vent canister is sloped down through to an external bronze filter vent in the rear axle tunnel.

It must also be noted that my tank is in a 69 Camaro with the filler neck in the Original location, which is fairly low compared to many vehicles.
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Quote Originally Posted by Motobrewmaster View Post
      I have no problems during filling with my tank. In fact I filled it today all the way to the top with no spillage or back flow with no slowing of the pump until the last gallon. You can see in the pictures of my tank in my earlier post I have both the filler neck and a high mount location (two in my case) on the front of the tank. They are connected which allows multiple points for venting. These are then connected to a vent (II Much) located in the trunk. The lines leading to the vent are sloped upwards to the inlet of the vent canister with no kinks. The outlet of the vent canister is sloped down through to an external bronze filter vent in the rear axle tunnel.

It must also be noted that my tank is in a 69 Camaro with the filler neck in the Original location, which is fairly low compared to many vehicles.
      Ok, good info..also need to add some clarity to my earlier post. I've always had the ridetech filler but plan on adding a vent in the neck also. So that will leave me with two vents one in the front and one in the neck. Thanks again for the info!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com