Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Swapping an l86 Into a First Gen

This forum doesn't seem to get a whole lot of activity so I figured I would post the build I've been working on.

Its an L86 out of a 2020 Escalade and it's cleaning up well. Will be replacing the big block in my 68 camaro.

Relatively mild setup.

• GPI SS3 cam
      • BTR .660 springs
      • C8 intake
      • Stock heads
      • Trunnion upgrade on the rockers
      • Morel lifters
      • Holley LT oil pan
      • ICT Valley Cover

I'm hoping to run a Holley Terminator ECU. They dont officially support larger fuel lobes so I need to look into that.

Name:  20210228_135826.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  321.2 KBName:  20210228_134840.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  1.08 MB

Anyone else working on a Gen V swap?

Country Flag: United States
      I’m planning to install an L86 and 8L90E in a 46 Chevy pickup in a couple of months. Going to leave it stock.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

The Terminator X Max V2 is an excellent option. For the power that you will be making, I don't see a need for larger fuel lobes. I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect Holley will have support for larger fuel lobes in a future firmware release.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      The Terminator X Max V2 is an excellent option. For the power that you will be making, I don't see a need for larger fuel lobes. I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect Holley will have support for larger fuel lobes in a future firmware release.

Andrew

Hey Andrew, thanks for the info. My hope is that Holley will have support for fuel lobes by the time I'm ready to make that purchase.

I totally agree that the fuel lobe isn't really needed for my application but it seems like most Gen V cams are starting to come with a larger fuel lobe as a standard option. Not a lot of info on tuning DI setups with Holley but some of the HP tuner guys say they dont change anything for the larger fuel lobe. The fact that Holley has a disclaimer in the software about not supporting larger lobes makes me think that there may be more to the story. Just have to wait and see or worst case go with a different cam.

agree, not much traffic on this forum lately. LT swap info is sparse. In the old days, there would have been a couple of dozen guys building cars and doing swaps.

I'm swapping an LT4 into a 69 camaro. Decent general info out there but not detail like you get when following a swap thread. LS swap threads were all over the place 10+ years ago.

Is there another resource out there? FB and IG are such ridiculous mediums for following a swap. or maybe I'm not using them correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

Are there any detailed comparisons between the Holley/Wegner/drive junky front accessory drives?

Quote Originally Posted by glr0212 View Post
      agree, not much traffic on this forum lately. LT swap info is sparse. In the old days, there would have been a couple of dozen guys building cars and doing swaps.

I'm swapping an LT4 into a 69 camaro. Decent general info out there but not detail like you get when following a swap thread. LS swap threads were all over the place 10+ years ago.

Is there another resource out there? FB and IG are such ridiculous mediums for following a swap. or maybe I'm not using them correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

Are there any detailed comparisons between the Holley/Wegner/drive junky front accessory drives?
      I can tell you that the Holley midmount is very well engineered and is available for Gen 3/4/5 and LT4/5. I just got one for my GTO update.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah you really have to sort through the junk on FB and IG. Youtube has some good info but it still takes some searching.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I can tell you that the Holley midmount is very well engineered and is available for Gen 3/4/5 and LT4/5. I just got one for my GTO update.

Andrew
      It looks nice. What are the advantages over wegner and Drive Junky? DJ touts being the only one to drive the supercharger directly. Holley's claim is keeping factory supercharger belt routing plus a strengthened PS bearing.

It looks nice. What are the advantages over wegner and Drive Junky? DJ touts being the only one to drive the supercharger directly. Holley's claim is keeping factory supercharger belt routing plus a strengthened PS bearing.
      I don't have direct experience with the Weaner or the DJ drives. However, just looking at the Weaner drive you can see that they mount the AC and the alternator up high on either side of the engine.

The Holley LT4 drive mounts the alternator down low and tucks the AC compressor tighter to the block.

The DJ is different still and has the alternator up high on the driver's side and the AC down low on the passenger side.

All drives seem to have good belt wrap on the supercharger.

Given the different configurations, I would think the best one is the one that fits best into your particular chassis.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

When evaluating drives I always compare power steering pulley belt wrap along with supercharger pulley wrap and number of belt ribs. Quite a few of them come up short and can lead to squealing/slipping belts under load, both supercharger and power steering imho.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Name:  6D2B094E-C84C-4D67-A812-2B66C4916921.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  324.5 KB

Here’s mine with a 10 speed. Tuning is a fun challenge with the gen v.

I have some pretty lofty goals of putting an L86/L87/LT1 and 8L90E in a ‘70 A-body. I too notice that there’s much less talk about LT swaps, and I wonder- are there drawbacks I haven’t thought through?

1. Adding power steering pump bracketry shouldn’t be too bad. I’ve got a Turn One GM type II pump with remote reservoir, cooler, and everything’s already plumbed in. Surely routing a belt and tensioner isn’t the biggest hurdle on the LT, and I think there are already some aftermarket solutions for this.

2. I realize this means splitting the trans tunnel and adding some material. But I believe the 8L90 is similar in size to the 6L80, correct? Are there many tales thus far of jamming an 8L into the 68-72 A-body?

3. Regarding the fuel system, a PWM controlled module that would typically work great for a fuel injected LS should supply the high pressure pump with ample fuel, right? I’ve got AN -8 NiCopp on the current setup so that won’t be a bottleneck.

For folks who have already been down this road, or those currently planning, are there other aspects of an LT swap that are going to blindside me, moreso than a more typical LS swap?

Did I ask a bunch of questions that have already been answered on this site? If so, my apologies!

Also wasn’t intending to hijack the thread…

Quote Originally Posted by slammed68 View Post
      Hey Andrew, thanks for the info. My hope is that Holley will have support for fuel lobes by the time I'm ready to make that purchase.

I totally agree that the fuel lobe isn't really needed for my application but it seems like most Gen V cams are starting to come with a larger fuel lobe as a standard option. Not a lot of info on tuning DI setups with Holley but some of the HP tuner guys say they dont change anything for the larger fuel lobe. The fact that Holley has a disclaimer in the software about not supporting larger lobes makes me think that there may be more to the story. Just have to wait and see or worst case go with a different cam.
      I'm currently building a C10 with a L86/T56 and a Terminator that I've already purchased. I've been searching around for the same information on using a larger fuel lobe but haven't had much luck.
      Have you come up with any definitive answers?

-Tanner

Quote Originally Posted by tannmann67 View Post
      I'm currently building a C10 with a L86/T56 and a Terminator that I've already purchased. I've been searching around for the same information on using a larger fuel lobe but haven't had much luck.

-Tanner

-Tanner

I have a LT1 with a TSP cam with 32% lobe, my friend Andrew "Dr EFI" tuned my car and it runs and drive excellent. A good tuner like Andrew can make it work, I highly recommend him he's a very competent tuner.

Quote Originally Posted by smith060 View Post

-Tanner
      Let me know if I can help.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com