Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register



    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 37
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Alamo, CA USA
      Posts
      221
      Country Flag: United States

      Fuel system recommendations?

      1973 Camaro with Speedtech Extreme subframe and torque arm. I have the LS427 and T56 going in this week. Speedtech headers are ordered up. I need to start thinking about all fuel and electrical delivery that's needed to get the engine going, but I want to focus this post on just fuel. I know I want to run a tank/cell from the stock location and not the trunk. That's about all I know.

      I need to know everything I have to purchase for my fuel system and some suggestions on which products you guys are running. What kind of tanks are you guys running on your rides? Fuel lines? Etc...?

      Thanks, everyone!
      1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Location
      Mountain Springs, Texas
      Posts
      3,884
      Country Flag: United States
      Ricks tank with a fifth gen ZL1 pump and a vaporworx PWM controller.

      https://www.vaporworx.com/

      Carl is very knowledgeable and helpful. Send him an email or give him a call.

      Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jun 2001
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      5,725
      Country Flag: United States
      Are you looking for a true fuel cell or a tank?
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Alamo, CA USA
      Posts
      221
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Ricks tank with a fifth gen ZL1 pump and a vaporworx PWM controller.

      https://www.vaporworx.com/

      Carl is very knowledgeable and helpful. Send him an email or give him a call.

      Don
      Thanks again, Don. Always helpful. So getting a little higher level, in terms of all the fuel components needed, I'm looking at a tank, lines/fittings, pump, and controller. Would that be correct?
      1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Alamo, CA USA
      Posts
      221
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
      Are you looking for a true fuel cell or a tank?
      Hey Carl. Well I suppose I would want recommendations from the hive mind as to what going to be best for my particular application. The link in my signature lists my goals for the project, but the TLDR version is; this needs to be a daily driver first while being capable and competitive enough to do dozen or so track days a year. Thoughts?
      1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Location
      Mountain Springs, Texas
      Posts
      3,884
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
      Thanks again, Don. Always helpful. So getting a little higher level, in terms of all the fuel components needed, I'm looking at a tank, lines/fittings, pump, and controller. Would that be correct?
      Yes that sounds right. Ricks has nice tanks and the fifth gen fuel pump module will prevent fuel starvation.

      For tank ventilation iimuch has what you need.

      Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Posts
      631
      How are you going to use the car?

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Alamo, CA USA
      Posts
      221
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnUlaszek View Post
      How are you going to use the car?
      The link in my signature lists my goals for the project, but the TLDR version is; this needs to be a daily driver first while being capable and competitive enough to do dozen or so track days a year. Thoughts?
      1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Posts
      536
      Iíd also recommend Ricks restomod tank. They are stock style tanks but have the opening for a zl1 or ctsv pump. They are considerably cheaper then the stainless versions. Order the tank from https://mcbparts.com/



      They will hook you up with a great price. As far as fuel module whether you get the ZL-1 pump or the CTS-V pump, check out Amazon or rockauto.com they have very good prices.

      For fuel lines, NICOPP hardlines with either an compression fittings or get a 37 degree flare tool and get tube nuts and sleeves. For short flex line connections, again something that wonít break the bank is Earls Vaporguard hose and their fittings. Don recommended these to me and thatís what I just ordered.

      Definitely, get the VaporWorx controller if your looking for a reliable daily driver.


    10. #10
      Join Date
      Apr 2001
      Location
      The City of Fountains
      Posts
      15,710
      Country Flag: United States
      I to recommend the Rick's RestoMod tank, 5th Gen Camaro module, VaporWorx PWM controller, and using NiCopp fuel lines. Here is a video that I made a while ago on how to mate NiCopp fuel lines to AN hoses.



      The AN hoses that you choose should be PTFE lined, not rubber.

      Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 2.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

      "You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Alamo, CA USA
      Posts
      221
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      Iíd also recommend Ricks restomod tank. They are stock style tanks but have the opening for a zl1 or ctsv pump. They are considerably cheaper then the stainless versions. Order the tank from https://mcbparts.com/

      They will hook you up with a great price. As far as fuel module whether you get the ZL-1 pump or the CTS-V pump, check out Amazon or rockauto.com they have very good prices.
      Ok. I'm set on grabbing the Rick's tank. I don't think they make the restomod tank anymore, but I will check. I think they're only doing the stainless steel now. With MCB, I've already been working with them the last couple of years. Bought 90% of this build through them so far. I'm glad to see they are a vendor for some of these manufacturers you all are recommending. Great people and great prices. Can't recommend them enough.

      Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      For fuel lines, NICOPP hardlines with either an compression fittings or get a 37 degree flare tool and get tube nuts and sleeves. For short flex line connections, again something that wonít break the bank is Earls Vaporguard hose and their fittings. Don recommended these to me and thatís what I just ordered.

      Definitely, get the VaporWorx controller if your looking for a reliable daily driver.
      I'll get in touch with VaporWorx immediately and get everything I need from them. Thanks for the recommendation.
      1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Alamo, CA USA
      Posts
      221
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I to recommend the Rick's RestoMod tank, 5th Gen Camaro module, VaporWorx PWM controller, and using NiCopp fuel lines. Here is a video that I made a while ago on how to mate NiCopp fuel lines to AN hoses.

      The AN hoses that you choose should be PTFE lined, not rubber.

      Andrew
      Thanks, Andrew. It's nice to see all these recommendations aligning.
      1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      Sulphur, La
      Posts
      467
      Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
      Ok. I'm set on grabbing the Rick's tank. I don't think they make the restomod tank anymore, but I will check. I think they're only doing the stainless steel now. With MCB, I've already been working with them the last couple of years. Bought 90% of this build through them so far. I'm glad to see they are a vendor for some of these manufacturers you all are recommending. Great people and great prices. Can't recommend them enough.


      I'll get in touch with VaporWorx immediately and get everything I need from them. Thanks for the recommendation.
      Update us on the tank. I see conflicting information on if it is still being offered & I want one as well.

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Apr 2001
      Location
      The City of Fountains
      Posts
      15,710
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      Update us on the tank. I see conflicting information on if it is still being offered & I want one as well.
      Call them. I just got one a few weeks ago.
      1970 GTO Version 2.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

      "You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Location
      Bakersfield, CA
      Posts
      578
      Country Flag: United States
      Note that when speaking to Hector @Ricks (if you aren't getting a "restomod" tank) to order a SS tank, you need to specify a road-racing/auto-x use case and request special baffles as they are not standard (as of Oct 2020 when I spoke to him anyway). Rick's is also doing the exterior of my tank finished in black. The width of the inside of my rear frame rails is standard but I'm not running an exhaust past the tank so I gave Hector custom measurements to get absolutely as much fuel capacity as possible. I then sent the CAD of the tank to Speedtech for them to verify there would be no issues with their IRS setup I'll be buying.

      I opted to use an AI FC-1500 fuel system instead of the GM ZL1 module: https://www.fueledbyai.com/FC1500-Fu...tem-p238256936
      This has a standard 6x9 hat with the surge tank, pumps, dual pick-up, tank vent port, fuel lever sender, and filler all incorporated so everything is internal.

      Carl @VaporWorx is setting me up with a dual pump PWM controller setup (he has my FC-1500 right now for testing). I also have a 10-micron glass -8AN in-line Aeromotive filter and the Walbro pumps have 100-micron filters on their inlets. I'll be running -8AN lines and a II Much tank vent (which is -6AN).

      My car has about the same use case as yours, although I do nearly no auto-x and mostly road racing. A dozen events a season but still able to drive street long distances for other events and cruises. My fuel system is going to maybe be a bit over kill, but if it's one thing I've learned building this car, it is to not cheap on ANYTHING and over build, otherwise, I end up replacing it anyway.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Apr 2001
      Location
      The City of Fountains
      Posts
      15,710
      Country Flag: United States
      He doesn't need all that for a LS427/570
      1970 GTO Version 2.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

      "You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Location
      Bakersfield, CA
      Posts
      578
      Country Flag: United States
      Sure, but it's good to know what options are out there.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

    18. #18
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Alamo, CA USA
      Posts
      221
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      Update us on the tank. I see conflicting information on if it is still being offered & I want one as well.
      Talked with MCB about it today. What I was told was... they stopped manufacturing the restomod tank for a while, but now they brought it back, but only without the notches. Which sucks because I'm going to run my exhaust all the way out the back. So it looks like it's going to be SS for me.
      1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

    19. #19
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Alamo, CA USA
      Posts
      221
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      Note that when speaking to Hector @Ricks (if you aren't getting a "restomod" tank) to order a SS tank, you need to specify a road-racing/auto-x use case and request special baffles as they are not standard (as of Oct 2020 when I spoke to him anyway). Rick's is also doing the exterior of my tank finished in black. The width of the inside of my rear frame rails is standard but I'm not running an exhaust past the tank so I gave Hector custom measurements to get absolutely as much fuel capacity as possible. I then sent the CAD of the tank to Speedtech for them to verify there would be no issues with their IRS setup I'll be buying.

      I opted to use an AI FC-1500 fuel system instead of the GM ZL1 module: https://www.fueledbyai.com/FC1500-Fu...tem-p238256936
      This has a standard 6x9 hat with the surge tank, pumps, dual pick-up, tank vent port, fuel lever sender, and filler all incorporated so everything is internal.

      Carl @VaporWorx is setting me up with a dual pump PWM controller setup (he has my FC-1500 right now for testing). I also have a 10-micron glass -8AN in-line Aeromotive filter and the Walbro pumps have 100-micron filters on their inlets. I'll be running -8AN lines and a II Much tank vent (which is -6AN).
      Good to know. With the restomod only being produced without notches, I'll be going with the SS.


      Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      My car has about the same use case as yours, although I do nearly no auto-x and mostly road racing. A dozen events a season but still able to drive street long distances for other events and cruises. My fuel system is going to maybe be a bit over kill, but if it's one thing I've learned building this car, it is to not cheap on ANYTHING and over build, otherwise, I end up replacing it anyway.
      That's actually the same use case I'm building for. Nearly all track time will be road courses. Maybe I'll throw in some auto crossing, but I don't foresee it at this point. Never say never, though, right?
      1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

    20. #20
      Join Date
      Apr 2001
      Location
      The City of Fountains
      Posts
      15,710
      Country Flag: United States
      Sadly the "more is better" logic doesn't apply to fuel systems any more than it applies to the diameter of throttle bodies. You want a system that will have enough fuel flow to support the engine and maybe 20-25% more.

      People have used the ZL1 pump with the corner pickups with great success and with the power output of a LS427/570, that's all you need.

      Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 2.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

      "You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast