Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Engine alignment in the engine bay...

I'm about to throw my LS427 (LS7) and T56 assembly into my second-gen for the first time so I can figure out where the cut needs to happen for the shifter. I have the front-end off the car to make getting the assembly in easier. I'm using a Speedtech Extreme subframe. I have their motor mount adapter plates as well as their motor mounts. There appears to be adjustment points for the following points:
      • infinite adjustments on the Speedtech subframe
      • three set adjustment points on the Speedtech mounting plates
      • two set adjustment points on the actual LS427 block

I do not know what settings I should be using for those three adjustment points. I'm guessing, because there are so many points with so much variable, there's specific standards I should be using to judge where the engine/trans assembly sits in the bay? Would love to get some feedback, tips, whatever... that points me in the right direction. Thanks.
      1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

Pretty sure you have to use the forward most mounts on the block. After that you are trying to make sure your oil pan, headers, accessory drive and bellhousing fit without hitting anything. Generally speaking you want the engine as far back as it will go with everything fitting. I’d shoot for an inch or two clearance to the firewall as a first test.

So many variables it’s impossible to give hard rules.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Pretty sure you have to use the forward most mounts on the block. After that you are trying to make sure your oil pan, headers, accessory drive and bellhousing fit without hitting anything. Generally speaking you want the engine as far back as it will go with everything fitting. I’d shoot for an inch or two clearance to the firewall as a first test.

So many variables it’s impossible to give hard rules.

Don
      Thanks, Don. That's all really helpful.

Make sure to pay attention to your transmission angle. Generally speaking it should point a couple of degrees down.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I helped a friend's build on 70 camaro w speedtech extreme frame, LS3, 6 speed magnum. To get the correct driveline angle, we had to cut the entire tunnel out from the firewall all the way to the package tray support bracket. I was quite shocked. We ended up having a shop make the new tunnel. Aside from that, I'm very impressed with their quality & performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Z06vet View Post
      I helped a friend's build on 70 camaro w speedtech extreme frame, LS3, 6 speed magnum. To get the correct driveline angle, we had to cut the entire tunnel out from the firewall all the way to the package tray support bracket. I was quite shocked. We ended up having a shop make the new tunnel. Aside from that, I'm very impressed with their quality & performance.
      Wow. Can you post a pic of the ride height.

This one has a Speedtech extreme subframe and their torque arm and only their Trans tunnel mod.

Don
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I installed the Extreme subframe in my 2nd gen also. I had already raised the tunnel so no issues there. The engine did sit a little higher in the car than I expected, but that didn't create any problems which you should face. I second the 1-2" from the firewall distance. I had some limitations to work with like an external dry sump unit that was very close to the inner tie rod stud. But it all fit.

I didn't use the Speedtech engine mount plates, only because I bought another set that had a lot more adjustment points. But they probably would have worked for me too if I had.

Do realize that the engine is shifted to the passenger side of the car about 3/8" or so. In my case, clearance on the passenger side header to the frame rails was tight since I had v-band clamps welded to the header collector. If you weld on the extensions which come with the headers you will be fine.
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

70 Camaro RS Hunk'o'Metal - Previous Project
      71 Firebird Project T.O.W. - New Project

Quote Originally Posted by Z06vet View Post
      Crazy. I have Speedtech's T56 trans tunnel installed already. Most of the Speedtech second-gens I've see are running this tunnel with no clearance issues. I'm hoping that will be the case here as well. Would love to see pics of what you guys did if you got them.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
      I installed the Extreme subframe in my 2nd gen also. I had already raised the tunnel so no issues there. The engine did sit a little higher in the car than I expected, but that didn't create any problems which you should face. I second the 1-2" from the firewall distance. I had some limitations to work with like an external dry sump unit that was very close to the inner tie rod stud. But it all fit.
      Ok. 1-2" from the firewall. I called up Speedtech this morning and they gave me some starting points for everything. Said I may need to shift a little, but it would be close enough to start.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
      Do realize that the engine is shifted to the passenger side of the car about 3/8" or so. In my case, clearance on the passenger side header to the frame rails was tight since I had v-band clamps welded to the header collector. If you weld on the extensions which come with the headers you will be fine.
      It was the Speedtech headers you were using?

Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
      It was the Speedtech headers you were using?
      The ones they sell which are made by Ultimate Headers. The mid-length version.
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

70 Camaro RS Hunk'o'Metal - Previous Project
      71 Firebird Project T.O.W. - New Project

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com