Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

2020 GMC with Bilstein sits uneven

Hey guys. Hoping somebody can help me out. I have a 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd. I had Bilstein 6112’s installed on it, these come with new springs which I believe are made by Eibach. The truck seems to sit about 3/8” low on the front drivers side.The rear seems like it would sit level if the front was ok. Prior to the shocks, the truck set level. I’m wondering if the alignment specs could have anything to do with it? I attached the alignment sheet. Any other thoughts? Thanks.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Country Flag: United States
      Can you swap the RH and LH shocks to see if the level changes?
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

What are the shocks/coilovers doing? Lowering? The alignment specs look good.

Take a measuring tape and measure the wheel openings with the tape measure going directly in front of the wheel center cap. Find a spot on each side that is the same (like the wheel openings trim). Make sure you are on level ground. Compare side to side and see if there is a difference from side to side. Check this link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=meas...fxgbFt5XHFKnCM

If there is a difference, see if there is a tolerance accepted by the manufacturer. Also know that most suspension components take some time to settle into their final position-especially springs. It may work itself out over a few hundred miles.
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
      Can you swap the RH and LH shocks to see if the level changes?
      It suppose it could be done. I was hoping to avoid that because I have to pay a shop to do it since the springs are too heavy duty for my compressor, and then it needs a re-alignment. I’ll do that if that is the fix though. I was just wondering if the alignment could have any effect on ride height?

Quote Originally Posted by absintheisfun View Post
      What are the shocks/coilovers doing? Lowering? The alignment specs look good.

Take a measuring tape and measure the wheel openings with the tape measure going directly in front of the wheel center cap. Find a spot on each side that is the same (like the wheel openings trim). Make sure you are on level ground. Compare side to side and see if there is a difference from side to side. Check this link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=meas...fxgbFt5XHFKnCM

If there is a difference, see if there is a tolerance accepted by the manufacturer. Also know that most suspension components take some time to settle into their final position-especially springs. It may work itself out over a few hundred miles.
      They are more of an off road shock. They lift the truck anywhere from 1” up to 3”+ I forget exactly. I set it for 1.5” lift, which just levels the truck. I did that measuring technique you mentioned, the truck is 3/8” low on left front. Even if this is within the manufactures spec, I still want to fix it, as it is easily noticeable just walking up to the truck when its parked on a level surface. As far as the alignment goes, it has more caster on the passenger side by .9*, I wonder if that is enough difference to effect the ride height?

Quote Originally Posted by 65 drop top View Post
      I was just wondering if the alignment could have any effect on ride height?
      The tiny differences in left vs right alignment numbers will have no measurable affect on ride height.

I assume you already verified that the snap rings for the coil collars are in the same position on the left and right, and that the springs are indexed in the upper pockets properly?
      - Ryan

Caster is supposed to be offset from side to side. Typically there it is a half degree bigger on the right to account for road crown, but different vehicles call for different split. Some older sonomas need 1.5 degrees of split to drive straight. Regardless of the split it shouldnt effect ride height...its basically the angle of the steering knuckle.

You said it is set to 1.5 inches...does that mean you can set the shocks to differing ride heights based on spring position? Have you contacted the manufacturer? What is the part number? I'm curious.
      Is this the kit?
      https://www.bilsteinlifts.com/shop/c...-1500-2wd-4wd/

It looks like there are separate rings on the shocks. If thats like what you have, make sure they are both on the same groove like snap said above. If everything is the same, I would call the manufacturer with your ride height numbers and see if i could get some new springs.
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

Quote Originally Posted by stab6902 View Post
      The tiny differences in left vs right alignment numbers will have no measurable affect on ride height.

I assume you already verified that the snap rings for the coil collars are in the same position on the left and right, and that the springs are indexed in the upper pockets properly?
      Thanks, I did confirm the snap rings, both are on the #2 position. I haven’t checked the springs in the pockets yet, I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to see up in there. I’ll crawl around tomorrow and see if I can see the spring pockets. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by absintheisfun View Post
      Caster is supposed to be offset from side to side. Typically there it is a half degree bigger on the right to account for road crown, but different vehicles call for different split. Some older sonomas need 1.5 degrees of split to drive straight. Regardless of the split it shouldnt effect ride height...its basically the angle of the steering knuckle.

You said it is set to 1.5 inches...does that mean you can set the shocks to differing ride heights based on spring position? Have you contacted the manufacturer? What is the part number? I'm curious.
      Is this the kit?
      https://www.bilsteinlifts.com/shop/c...-1500-2wd-4wd/

It looks like there are separate rings on the shocks. If thats like what you have, make sure they are both on the same groove like snap said above. If everything is the same, I would call the manufacturer with your ride height numbers and see if i could get some new springs.
      Yes, those are the shocks. I did confirm the snap rings are both in the #2 position, and for my application that is a 1.5” lift, which just levels the truck. As the post above mentioned, I think I need to confirm that the springs are seated properly in the upper pocket. If that is not the issue, then I’ll contact Bilstein. Thanks.

And for anybody wondering, the shocks ride great. They are 100x better than the stock junkers they put on at the factory.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com