Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

LS swap to TKX help

Pretty new to the world of LS swaps and high performance and this site. Coming from offroading and jeeps, I need some help with my current build. I apologize if this isnt the correct forum or place but my typical jeep forums just dont have the experience and I am doing something that not a lot of people build, and so far this site has been the most help for my research.

I have a 1988 jeep comanche, currently a 5.3 L33 swap mated to an ax-15 jeep trans. It is lowered, 2wd, and modified to be a street truck with what I hopefully plan to either autox or do some type of racing maybe. But it is mainly my summer DD and fun ride. Right now I am using an adapter plate on the trans, large old school truck bell housing, standard BBC clutch with conventional fork and hydro style push rod slave and a sachs 1050 flywheel. worked alright butI am limited to around 5k rpm with the trans and I am pushing it at the 300 HP limit. I plan on making around 450HP so I recently purchased the new tremec TKX transmission to swap in. It is the same length as my current trans, about the same size, and shifter is in the same spot. So far I have also bought a repro 621 LS bellhousing and plan on a tilton hydro throwout. These are my concerns and questions:

-Can I, or rather should I, use the sachs 1050 flywheel for this swap as well or should I upgrade to the mcleod .400 thicker flywheel that is also sfi rated?
      -I plan on using a Mcleod superstreet pro clutch rated at 500HP, good choice in brand?
      -Would the LS7 clutch kit be a more economical choice for me? I have heard good and bad about these for swaps. Also the fact that this one has the issue with the .400 difference but I have read people dont have an issue with that.

Any other help or advice would be great. Like I said I am very new to LS swap world and performance stuff. I cannot go crazy with budget, but if it is the better option I want to know.

Country Flag: United States
      I am in the process of mating a TKX to my LS engine. Currently I am using an old Richmond 6 speed trans, which fits exactly the same as a TKX.

I use the large Corvette pilot bearing, LS7 clutch, and Tilton 6100 series bearing. I expect all of these parts to work just the same way with a TKX. The LS7 clutch is a great option except it is on the heavy side. Tick Performance (and probably others) offer an aluminum flywheel upgrade for just $105 more, when you purchase the whole kit from them. I am considering this for my GTO.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I am in the process of mating a TKX to my LS engine. Currently I am using an old Richmond 6 speed trans, which fits exactly the same as a TKX.

I use the large Corvette pilot bearing, LS7 clutch, and Tilton 6100 series bearing. I expect all of these parts to work just the same way with a TKX. The LS7 clutch is a great option except it is on the heavy side. Tick Performance (and probably others) offer an aluminum flywheel upgrade for just $105 more, when you purchase the whole kit from them. I am considering this for my GTO.

Andrew
      Do you anticipate any issues with .400" distance issue the LS has with an older style trans? I've read a couple threads where no one had issues but it still worries me a bit

Quote Originally Posted by 70hemicuda View Post
      Do you anticipate any issues with .400" distance issue the LS has with an older style trans? I've read a couple threads where no one had issues but it still worries me a bit
      Have a look here:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...sion-2-0/page3

Starting at post #55 is where I go through the bellhousing installation, etc... I did not have any issues.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Have a look here:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...sion-2-0/page3

Starting at post #55 is where I go through the bellhousing installation, etc... I did not have any issues.

Andrew
      Do you have the part # for the tilton bearing? Right now I am about to order 60-6101. Just want to make sure I have the correct one.

Quote Originally Posted by 70hemicuda View Post
      Do you have the part # for the tilton bearing? Right now I am about to order 60-6101. Just want to make sure I have the correct one.
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ion-2-0/page38
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com