Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Removing factory bell housing dowel pins?

I'm finishing up my bell housing alignment. Got my new offset dowel pins. I've been wrestling with removing the factory bell housing dowel pins for the last hour. There's no grime or dirt to deal with. This is on a recently unboxed crate engine, so everything is nice and clean. Any tips on getting these things out?
      1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
      I'm finishing up my bell housing alignment. Got my new offset dowel pins. I've been wrestling with removing the factory bell housing dowel pins for the last hour. There's no grime or dirt to deal with. This is on a recently unboxed crate engine, so everything is nice and clean. Any tips on getting these things out?
      A punch and a hammer from behind is usually all it takes... (starter out and no headers/manifolds is ideal) Could try warming the block with a torch to loosen things up too. Wait for the block to return to ambient temps before dial indicating again though.
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vette427-sbc View Post
      A punch and a hammer from behind is usually all it takes... (starter out and no headers/manifolds is ideal) Could try warming the block with a torch to loosen things up too. Wait for the block to return to ambient temps before dial indicating again though.
      I was doing a long punch and hammer at first and wasn't getting anywhere. Removed the heads and dipstick and was able to get enough leverage at that point to punch it out. Thanks.

1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com