Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Removing the eBrake on an automatic car

I'm putting together a ford 9" full float rear end and I have narrowed it down to 2 choices.
      A rear end from strange engineering, or chassisworks (I live near them so I can pick it up)
      The strange kit has a drum style parking brake, while the chassisworks does not. BUT the chassisworks has significantly more clearance for my rim and has a bigger brake surface area.
      Since this is the rear brakes it probably doesn't matter as much if the brakes are slightly bigger, but nice to have none the less. So really, it comes down to the parking brake, should i put in the effort to keep it? or should I go with a bigger caliper and more room for the rim and lose my ebrake.

Country Flag: United States
      Personally I'd keep the parking brake. I used to make automatic transmission park rods a looong time ago and it's not the same as a parking brake. On an automatic transmission, the "park" function is a spring loaded cam on a rod that basically jams into a gear and keeps it from rotating. If that spring or parking cam breaks, you're free wheeling. There's no in-between.

Not sure what kind of brakes Chassisworks uses but if it's wilwood you should ask them to incorporate one of Wilwood's new E.P.B. setups. Super slick setup in my opinion.

Have you priced the Wilwood EPB setup.... wow, it's not cheap.

Also safety inspections require a parking brake, so keep this in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance View Post
      Have you priced the Wilwood EPB setup.... wow, it's not cheap.

Also safety inspections require a parking brake, so keep this in mind.
      ya, not a cheap option by any means, my car is a 1975 so it's exempt from safety inspections (unless a cop tells me to get one, but thats unlikely to happen)

I contacted Chassisworks to see if we can attach 120-12069 without issue. If not I'll just go with the strange option. and get slightly smaller brakes (again, not that it really matters for the rear in the grand scheme of things)

someone suggested a line break, but that still relies on the hydraulic system so I don't think I will do that

Speedway motors has a pinion brake for a 9 inch that might work. If I didn't have Wilwoods rear I would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc View Post
      Speedway motors has a pinion brake for a 9 inch that might work. If I didn't have Wilwoods rear I would do that.
      If I didn't have a torque arm that bolted to the pinion I would absolutely do this. But it's incompatible with my setup

Its not just a brake for parking. Its an "emergency brake". What if something fails in the braking system that causes a fluid pressure loss? At least you'd have some way to slow down. I've had brake pressure loss before, its not fun.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com