Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Got the rest of the parts in. So got started pulling the old stuff. Doing it by myself so do not have a lot of step by step pictures. Old motor came out really easy actually. Good thing I pulled it. After getting it out I could see that about every seal and gasket was leaking oil. Transmission was covered in old dirt road and motor oil. Got the lift up as high as it would go. Having to try to swing the trans over the fiberglass front was a chore.
      Name:  IMG_1622.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  381.6 KBName:  IMG_1623.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  535.2 KBName:  IMG_1624.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  574.8 KBName:  IMG_1625.jpg
Views: 1539
Size:  520.5 KB

Got it all out and then had to get the car out of the garage and cleaned up. Rolled her out and got out the pressure washer. Bought a 3 gallon jug of purple power and filled a garden sprayer. Sprayed the engine bay down and got to work. About 2 hours later and 3 gallons of degreaser, had it all cleaned up. Then the fun part how to get it back up my ramp into the garage. Borrowed the neighbors 12 winch. Mounted a fall protection plate to the floor of the garage. Hooked the winch to the battery from the car. Had my son hit the button while I drove the car back up in the garage. Worked pretty good. Taped off the engine bay and gave the frame and firewall a fresh coat of paint.
      Name:  62501240675__B0E4EE37-602C-4E5C-A889-3AE265717C0E.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  563.8 KBName:  IMG_1642.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  849.4 KBName:  IMG_1641.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  560.8 KBName:  IMG_1657.jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  466.5 KB

Installed the new mounts for the engine. Using the BRP hotrods ls swap kit. Got the mounts in and dropped the engine in for the first time. Well finally first roadblock, the JEGS A body pan would let the engine drop straight in. But when releasing the hoist the engine would not rotate to the rear. Raised the lift, got under and the drop on the pan was resting on the back of the crossmember. Clearly this was not going to work. Not wanting to try to modify the pan the engine came back out. So first set back. Solution was to order the Moroso pan called out in the BRP catalogue. Ordered the pan and was shipped and at the door in 3 days. Great service on that.

Name:  IMG_1658.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  480.9 KBName:  IMG_1659.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  422.8 KBName:  IMG_1660.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  415.1 KB

Got the new pan in and installed. Dropped the motor back in ad it fit perfectly fine. Got to start working on trans mount and drive shaft. So I had a spare trans laying around that was burnt. Tore it down and used it as a mock up case to verify tunnel fitment and shaft length etc. Made the job a lot easier than laying on my back trying to lift a 4L80 up and in place multiple times in a row. Got the crossmember setup and called in for the new drive shaft. The mounts moved the motor up enough it was only 1.5 inches that needed to be cut from the shaft.
      Name:  IMG_1066.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  463.4 KBName:  IMG_1068.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  335.9 KBName:  IMG_1072.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  474.2 KBName:  IMG_1110.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  559.9 KBName:  IMG_1065.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  431.6 KB

New Drive shaft is in. Got the motor and trans in the car. Still doing all alone so not a lot of pictures on this either. Plus was trying to get it finished before I got busy again at work. Installed a new Tanks efi tank and in tank pump. Ran feed and return lines. Mounted the filter to the frame. Installed the regulator on the firewall. Installed the pressure transducer for fuel. Ran the wires for the Terminator. Installed the headers which fit almost perfectly. Installed the swap radiator. Installed the electric fan. Its a Rock Auto piece that is for the ford Windstar, 2 speeds and plenty of airflow. Installed new alternator, water pump, power steering pump, changed the flow valve on the pump to match the steering box. Made up braided lines for the power steering and for the trans cooler. Installed the trans cooler and ran the lines.

Name:  IMG_1807.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  558.9 KBName:  IMG_1797.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  387.4 KBName:  IMG_1796.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  457.4 KBName:  IMG_1809.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  490.0 KBName:  IMG_1873.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  320.6 KB

Built my own relay panel for the fans. There are 2 for the rad fan and 1 for the trans cooler fan. Made the wiring so that the high and low fan relays for the radiator fan are interlocked. That way there is no way for the 2 speeds to be on at the same time.
      Name:  IMG_1870.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  494.4 KBName:  IMG_1872.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  326.6 KBName:  IMG_1871.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  484.2 KB

Ordered the exhaust system for the car. Got a Pypes stainless system. Found one that had the GTO valance exit. Got the system in and installed. Installed also electric cut outs with turn downs. Also got the factory style splitter tips that mimic the OEM ones. Also have been meaning to pick up TIG welding so thought it was a good time to get one and start learning. I've MIG and stick welded for a while but wanted to add TIG to the mix. I want to get the tips pulled up in the cut outs but other than that I like the way the system fits. Was looking at their 3" system but was not going to exit where I wanted it to.

Name:  Pypes Exhasut 1.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  583.1 KBName:  Pypes Exhaust 2.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  183.8 KBName:  Exhaust 1.jpg
Views: 1556
Size:  406.8 KBName:  Exhaust 2.jpg
Views: 1507
Size:  347.0 KBName:  IMG_2123.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  331.9 KBName:  Welder 1.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  500.7 KB

I really like your project! I've been a die hard Pontiac guy for a long time, but as I've gravitated to this end of the hobby, I understand why folks go LS. I considered it for my '70 Firebird project, but already had an aluminum IAII, lightened crank, etc. I like that you painted it the right blue for '70. Are you going to keep it a LeMans? Hope so! I've actually been looking to buy a 70-72 LeMans or Tempest for while...ideally an honest original paint/interior car I can drive and build at the same...surprisingly difficult to find. I'm done with 5-year projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Alponcho View Post
      I really like your project! I've been a die hard Pontiac guy for a long time, but as I've gravitated to this end of the hobby, I understand why folks go LS. I considered it for my '70 Firebird project, but already had an aluminum IAII, lightened crank, etc. I like that you painted it the right blue for '70. Are you going to keep it a LeMans? Hope so! I've actually been looking to buy a 70-72 LeMans or Tempest for while...ideally an honest original paint/interior car I can drive and build at the same...surprisingly difficult to find. I'm done with 5-year projects.
      Ill keep it a LeMans. There are not many around anymore. I really do not plan on doing any sheet metal changes. I wanted to do a Butler stroked motor in aluminum or aftermarket iron. But to get the power per dollar down just could not do it. I did not want more in the engine than what I could just go buy a corvette for. . Going to make it a semi daily. Be neat to drive around in a car that most ppl dont see.

Got the intake and filter installed. Installed the battery in the trunk. Ran the wiring for the started and installed the fuse links and fuses. Tested the wiring to the rest of the car. Primed the fuel system. Checked it over for leaks. Installed new plugs. Changed the oil over to break in oil. Went and got plenty of 93 for the tank. Started building the tune file. Got the temps and sensors set up. Tested the fan operation in both high and low. Also verified that the trans cooler fan is being controlled by the ECU. Filed the trans with new fluid. Topped of the radiator and bled the block.

Name:  Intake Tube.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  449.5 KB

Been debating on the grille. Decided to try it in black. Masked everything off and prepared it for paint. I think it turned out good. Next debate is do I go back and paint the front edge of the squares silver or just leave it all black.

Name:  IMG_2128.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  468.7 KBName:  Grill Black.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  411.9 KB

Also got the Dakota digital to Holley EFI can bus box. Made hooking the dash up a breeze. So did not have to run extra sensors and I get a lot more data on the dash now. Next was time for the first start in the car. Tune was really rich. I have since worked that out. But I was happy that it was basically push the button, prime the pump, and short turn over and fire. Always a good feeling when a project starts and does not catch fire.

First start. Dad does not know how to hold his phone. Good oil pressure 40 psi at idle and good fuel pressure. AFR was around 12:1 at idle.

From inside after it was running for a min.

Then open cut outs

Changed the headlights out for some better LED versions that have the turns built in. Also they have a better cutoff than the old ones I had installed. I also changed all the bulbs over to LEDs. Makes a big difference in power draw and light output. Hopefully will make her easier to see at night and brake lights during the day.

Name:  IMG_2261.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  469.1 KBName:  IMG_2264.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  465.1 KBName:  IMG_2265.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  455.1 KBName:  IMG_2266.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  489.1 KBName:  IMG_2267.jpg
Views: 1306
Size:  188.5 KB

Not Pro Touring. But two other builds that I have done in the past. Both were a blast to drive.

Name:  140.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  402.3 KBName:  IMG_0244.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  144.8 KBName:  S10.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  60.6 KB

I’m loving this build thread. I’m a Pontiac guy (‘70 Grand Prix) so seeing this LeMans come to life is thrilling. I built two ‘70 GTOs with my dad many years ago, so it’s in the blood.

I too struggle with the LS vs. Butler build and every time I run the numbers, I lean toward building an LS and one day adding a blower.

Which headlights did you end up going with? I may have missed it.

Anyway, keep the posts coming!!

Quote Originally Posted by TanMan View Post
      I’m loving this build thread. I’m a Pontiac guy (‘70 Grand Prix) so seeing this LeMans come to life is thrilling. I built two ‘70 GTOs with my dad many years ago, so it’s in the blood.

I too struggle with the LS vs. Butler build and every time I run the numbers, I lean toward building an LS and one day adding a blower.

Which headlights did you end up going with? I may have missed it.

Anyway, keep the posts coming!!
      Yeah it was a hard choice, maybe one day when I win the lottery I will build a pure poncho motor. It was just a money decision for me. They are some amazon specials I found that had good reviews. I can't speak for how good they are yet. It is finally warming up here so as soon as the salt is gone and I get the ramp rebuilt on the garage I hope to get it out and drive it some. Then I can see how well they work. Once I get it all settled in and get the AC and heat installed, then I will work on getting the LSA blower installed.

Wow. Wow! This is trippy and awesome to see. My first car was also my dads 70 LeMans that is silver and originally had a black vinyl top. I drove it to high school and destroyed it. Eventually I restored it and removed the vinyl top. Same hood tach, same blacked out grills, same GTO valence w/splitters.... except mine had/has dark green interior.

while I am not a LS swap guy- it’s fun to see what would have happened if I took a more modern approach to the car. Very nice build!
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
      Wow. Wow! This is trippy and awesome to see. My first car was also my dads 70 LeMans that is silver and originally had a black vinyl top. I drove it to high school and destroyed it. Eventually I restored it and removed the vinyl top. Same hood tach, same blacked out grills, same GTO valence w/splitters.... except mine had/has dark green interior.

while I am not a LS swap guy- it’s fun to see what would have happened if I took a more modern approach to the car. Very nice build!
      Thanks

What did you use for the front spoiler? I was trying to find something for mine.

Oh great, just what we need, another drivable Pontiac that makes reliable power for reasonable money. Love the build, will keep an eye out for updates.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Got a few more updates going on. Found an idea on the center console from another member here. So going to give that a try and see how it turns out. Picked up some carbon from Rock West to make the top plate. Ordered a shift indicator from Lokar. Also got the shifter module from Dakota. It will integrate with the VHX gauges and the Lokar indicator. Plus will give me an output for the backup lights as well. Picked up a wireless charging pad for my Iphone and am going to graft that into the front pocket in the center console. Can't decide if I want the gloss or the dull side up on the center console. Also looks like I am going to be able to order the Vintage Air, rockers and hardened push rods this month as well. Hope I can get that all in before summer. Finished extending the ramp from the garage yesterday. Still not sure on the exhaust clearance from the ground. Edges of the cut outs are 2" lower than the trans pan. Just looks low to me. I have the x pipe touching the drive shaft at full droop. When under compression at ride height its about 2" above the x pipe.

Name:  IMG_2466.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  291.1 KBName:  IMG_2465.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  376.1 KBName:  IMG_2464.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  326.2 KBName:  IMG_2463.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  711.9 KBName:  IMG_2425.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  429.0 KB

The chin spoiler on my 70 LeMans is from a 70 Judge- reproduced and easy to find

Ok I will have to look for that then. I am going to order the vintage air kit and front drive kit this week. Got to get her out of the garage Saturday and put about 5 miles on the car. Need to take it back out for a tuning session. Got it to shift through all gears but need to adjust the lockup settings as it would hunt back and forth. Also have a miss fire in the middle of the rpm sweep. May just be a little lean still on the tune in that area. But its warming up and it will be time to start working the bugs out of the system.

Well the Vintage Air kit is on its way. The hardened pushrods and roller rockers are shipping. Got the LSA front drive kit shipping as well. And the Dakota Digital controller is in the mail. So YAY more work for me

Great project. clean install on the LS. Where is the relay/fuse block from. IT looks like a clean simple unit.
      Tim Mc
      71 Cutlass
      66 Tempest
      65 cutlass
      15 BMW GSA

Quote Originally Posted by TimMC View Post
      Great project. clean install on the LS. Where is the relay/fuse block from. IT looks like a clean simple unit.

Thanks. It's from Amazon. Has all the terminals and the seals. You just have to populate the terminals and wire it how you want. Then has the fuse holders built in.

Got a few things in the mail this week. Placed the order for the Vintage air system. They are 6 weeks out. Also ordered the controller from Dakota digital. Also on a delay.

LSA adapters and the front drive brackets and the ac mounts for the compressor. Also the crank pining jig and pins.
      Name:  CLFV8043.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  326.7 KB

Weatherpak connector kit. Hope this helps me clean up wiring and make things easier to remove and replace.

Name:  GRHX6275.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  473.9 KB

And a warranty take off blower. Got a good deal on it. Found the fuel rail and injectors. Went to order the ZL1 lid but found out it is on national backorder. Placed an order for one anyway. Would like to find someone selling a CTSV lid. Also don't have pictures but the parts for the center console showed up as well. Going to get started on it this weekend. Next on the list are the throttle body, coolant tank, hoses and the heat exchangers. Also got the solid coupler and new oil in the mail as well. Its going to be fun trying to fit the heat exchangers in behind the grill. May have to get creative with a location for it. Or maybe running two individual heat exchangers.

Name:  IMG_2549.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  435.3 KB
      Name:  IMG_2551.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  423.3 KB

Got the snout off and the isolator changed out. Cleaned up the surfaces and got her all sealed back up. Started to measure for the heat exchanger location. Then got to work on the center console a little today.

Name:  IMG_2565.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  395.4 KBName:  IMG_2564.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  490.8 KBName:  IMG_2567.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  424.9 KBName:  IMG_2569.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  374.9 KB

Cut out a piece of carbon to replace the plastic wood trim that was around the original console shifter. Grafted in, and wired a wireless charger. Changed the interior plug over the a fast high amp usb charger as well. Later this weekend I hope to get to fitting the new console and cutting out for the shifter. Cleaned the glass in the car. Going to drive her in to work tomorrow I think. I have to teach a class all day so wont need the work truck. It will give me a chance to put about 30 miles on her and get some data logged on the drive.

Name:  IMG_2572.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  507.0 KBName:  IMG_2573.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  648.3 KBName:  IMG_2574.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  433.1 KBName:  IMG_2576.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  220.5 KB

Console is going to look great

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast