Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      This is an awesome build. Great fabrication skills on display.

1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass S

http://fivelugs.com

Country Flag: Canada
      Cadillac console ?
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
      Console is going to look great

Thanks I hope that it will.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deejai35 View Post
      This is an awesome build. Great fabrication skills on display.
      Thanks!!! I humbly say that I don't think that I have near the skills that I see on other projects here on the forum.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      Cadillac console ?

No Actually it is a 2007 Impala center console.

Well got to drive the car to work on Friday. About a 23 min drive to the office. Everything seamed to stay in line. Was watching the gauges really close and had the dash displaying the AFR the whole drive. Its the first time that I have gotten the car to up to any speed. I need to GPS the car and verify the speedo. Seams that it reads fast. But with the overdrive it may be correct. I noticed on the way in that once locked up there did seam to be a miss or a bucking. So I was logging the drive in. I made it in fine and there were no leaks or blow outs. On the way back home at the end of the day it was the same nothing very out of the ordinary other than the slight stutter and shake under lockup. So once locked up I added throttle to put more load on and it just got worse. Once the trans kicked down the motor felt like it smoothed out a little. Still I kind of felt that there a few horses left in the barn. I have no dyno numbers for this yet but I think that the combo should be an easy 400 flywheel. When I got home I opened the hood and started to look at a few things. Nothing was obvious. There were no burnt plug wires. There were no sparks jumping that I could see. So went back to old ways of tracking things down. Pulled the coil driver harness for each cylinder, found that #6 did not change the rpm any at all. Pulled the plug and it looked like it had been firing at some point. All the plugs were new when I installed the motor. Spark checked that coil and had a good spark at over 3/4". Put a new plug in the engine. Started it up and same result. Was not excited about this as my brain went straight to mechanical issue. But pulled the plug and it was still clean and solid white on the insulator. So went to the parts bin and changed the injector out. After swapping the injector the cylinder picked up and now pulling the plug on the coil would change the rpm. Took her back out and up the road and well I am ashamed to say that NOW it feels like a 400 horse motor and is really smooth. I should known it wasn't right. So I pulled the log this weekend and looked it over. I think that I can see that the AFR was jumping all over on the log which makes sense. As that bank has the O2 in it. And if that cylinder was down then the whole motor would be rich. I think that I can see the motor pumping the air charge from the dead cylinder on the log. This must be why even though when I was doing cold start tuning that when the Holley was saying it was idling at 15:1 that my eyes were saying something else.

Anyway going to try to take it again this Friday and see how she does. Hopefully once I get the fuel lined out there will be more pickup as I am sure I am rich across the board now. Got more parts in though.

Got my lid for the charger. Was a tough one to find. But a member on here sent me in the right direction and I found one available in stock at a good price. I'm sure everyone knows but Lance over at R&D is a great guy to work with and has great service.

Name:  IMG_2628.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  437.7 KB

Picked up throttle body and cable bracket.

Name:  IMG_2627.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  422.3 KB

And thanks to Super Bright LEDs got the hood tach matching the dash lights. Need to add a resistor to dim them down a bit.
      Name:  IMG_2612.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  191.3 KB

Also got the driveway redone and gained more parking.

Name:  ATSY2649.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  950.6 KBName:  LAKO3646.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  844.1 KB

Glad you figured out the injector issue. A dead cylinder will wreck havoc to the tune.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Good to hear it was an easy fix.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Glad you figured out the injector issue. A dead cylinder will wreck havoc to the tune.

Andrew
      Yeah I shoulda known sooner. After getting it figured it was obvious that cylinder had been down longer. The primary pipe on that cylinder was not as dark as the others on that side.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      Good to hear it was an easy fix.

Yeah me too. And a lot better than loss of spark where id be washing that cylinder down. Id hate to have to do a rebuild in the middle of getting the LSA on and the rest of the car finished up. Well as finished as a driver project might be for the moment.

Pretty busy weekend. Got yard mowed and mower serviced, Sharpened all the blades and aired all the tires. Got the tractor out and serviced for the season. Got more of the garage ceiling installed. Also swapped all the old lights out for new LED strip lights. Made a huge difference in the lighting. Also got more done to the center console. Got the majority of the wiring done. Got the plate mounted and the indicator installed. Test fit in the car. Tested the wireless charger. Marked and cut in the cut out switch in the console. Put about another 20 miles on the car. AFR is more inline now that I got that cylinder fixed. Car runs out a lot better. Much smoother in cruise. Need to get the speedo calibrated. Its close about 5 mph off. Really like the overdrive data I am seeing. Much better rpm than what I was seeing on the old TH400. Still waiting on Vintage to ship out and for Dakota to ship. Trying to find space for the Heat Exchanger is kinda hard. I think I may have to run 2 separate ones.

New lights and more ceiling up. Need to finish so I can blow in insulation.
      Name:  IMG_2644.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  528.3 KB

Marked and cut in the exhaust cut out switch

Name:  IMG_2648.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  333.8 KBName:  IMG_2650.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  524.7 KB

Plate finished and cap screws installed. I think the carbon weave makes them look off center. But in person they look fine. Wired everything up and installed a weather pak connector to carry bat and ignition voltage. A ground, the one wire for the dash to show gear, and the reverse lights trigger wire. Makes taking the console out a lot easier. Now just have to mount the sender for the indicator and program that. And finish the mounts to hold it in place. Also need to decide what to do about the shift knob. I dont think brown is a good match anymore.

Name:  IMG_2651.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  602.9 KBName:  IMG_2652.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  417.4 KBName:  IMG_2653.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  292.0 KBName:  IMG_2654.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  481.4 KBName:  IMG_2647.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  594.0 KB

Country Flag: Canada
      I like the idea of using a newer car for its interior bits. I am lucky with using a newer car that I can recycle most of my interior in one way or another.
      The biggest thing in Motocross!
      My 97 Cougar Transcona, https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Dirty-Old-XR7

Quote Originally Posted by egoman View Post
      I like the idea of using a newer car for its interior bits. I am lucky with using a newer car that I can recycle most of my interior in one way or another.
      Yes it makes it easier to update the interior with more modern tech a lot easier. Plus I am not in a position to go and custom build all that out of MDF or other materials.

Got more done this weekend. Thrashed on it Friday. I was on call this weekend and wanted to get as much done as possible. Also being Easter weekend had a lot of other commitments as well. But got the old intake off. Installed the new LSA front drive conversion. Installed the new supercharger. Got all the connections made for the electrical. Measured for the new belt and started a new base tune. I also finished up the wiring for the center console and gear indicator. Got the trans line pressure sensor installed and stared on wiring it in.

Name:  IMG_2676.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  488.9 KB
      Name:  IMG_2677.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  544.8 KB
      Name:  IMG_2678.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  523.3 KB
      Name:  IMG_2679.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  488.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2682.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  478.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2681.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  485.7 KB

Changed the shifter knob color. Did not go well with new interior. :-)

Name:  IMG_2665.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  482.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_2668.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  430.3 KB

Got everything buttoned up on the LSA install. Got a temp. HX installed. installed the pump and the res. Ran the lines and connected to the lid. Got it out and filled the coolant and started up. Setup the laptop for some logging. Took off and drove about 18 miles. Runs real good and strong, need to get some more driving in and start working through the tune file. Logged about 18 min of the drive but at some point it lost the log connection. Never lost the USBlink. Also I think that I made a mistake on the converter. I believe that it is going to be too loose. I feel the converter start to couple around 4k. I think I am leaving a lot of acceleration on the table. So I guess I will have to make some calls and try to get that figured out. But overall its a night and day change. Still waiting on the Vintage Air. Did get my Dakota Digital HVAC controller.

Getting pump installed
      Name:  IMG_2742.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  455.9 KB

Got my new Dakota Digital HVAC controller. Going to start making the new dash panel for this.
      Name:  IMG_2739.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  240.3 KB

Wow, you have been busy! You made that LSA Swap look easy. I'm hoping to have mine buttoned up very soon.

What are your impressions of the LSA and Holley? I'm building my base tune now as well.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      Wow, you have been busy! You made that LSA Swap look easy. I'm hoping to have mine buttoned up very soon.

What are your impressions of the LSA and Holley? I'm building my base tune now as well.

Thanks it was not too hard. Just did a ton of reading and looking before I started. Well so far with the Terminator I have been impressed the whole time. Was super easy on the initial NA setup. Fired on the first try. Took a minute to get the idle sorted out and get the IAC% down. And then same thing with the new LSA. I just started a new global file from the base folder. Input the injector information and the cam specs. Copied over all the other settings and custom changes from the NA tune. Hit the start button and she fired right up like it was from the factory. Spent time after that getting the idle fuel good and talking with Andrew made a couple other changes. Took it out for a spin and not a single major issue. There are a few things I still want to learn and understand better about the trans tuning etc. But overall very happy with it. Glad I did not go the HP route for tuning.

Are those the Year One Rally II's?

What size wheel/tire did you go with? Thinking about getting these.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
      Are those the Year One Rally II's?

What size wheel/tire did you go with? Thinking about getting these.

Thanks
      Yes they are Year One Rally 2's

Wheels are their 17x9 5" BS

Tires are Fire Hawk 275/45/17

No clearance issues

More Updates

Got a few things done have not updated the thread as soon as I would have liked. Got the LSA installed and the car running. Have put about 150 miles on the car since installing the LSA. Noticed a few things right off the bat. The torque converter may be fine. I will have to spend some time driving the car. The engine is more violent in a good way than any other V8 I have owned. So everything is happening quickly. Either I am getting old or its just been a while since I've had a vehicle like this. The more I watch the tach when the car gets up on converter is more around 3500. The cam has an operating range of 3,750-7,000 rpm. Once we get to 3500 if I am in the throttle much more past 45% then we are blowing tires off and getting sideways. And the car is just pulling on through. I have not had the nerves to stay in it much past that. Guess I am just a sissy but would rather work up to full performance and not wrap it around a tree. Running the Holley and with the 4L80e there is a lot of tuning that can be done. One thing I have already changed and but as of yet have not driven to test, is that the trans comes out of first way too soon I think. Shifts to second before 10 mph. Going to move all the shifts up a little. And I think that the line pressure is a little aggressive. On the base global file it is at 0% duty before it gets to zero manifold pressure. So I have noticed at light throttle around town the shifts are way too firm.

Did get an email from vintage that my kit should be on the way this week. Hope it gets here soon. Its basically the last piece of the pie for now. I think another thing is that since I pulled the old HVAC out and left the hole in the firewall that it makes all the engine noise more amplified in the car. But it keeps me warm on the cool mornings that I have driven the car to work. Also on the plus side my kids went to town with me the other day and absolutely loved it. Kept hearing from the backseat, "Pedal To The Metal ane I can't Drive 55" the whole way there. :-).

The converter is a billet single disk. I need to do some research into weather it would be ok to lock it up in say maybe third instead of just fourth. Not sure if that would help with acceleration. Other wise everything else seams to be doing ok. Cruises down the road with no strange noises and a lot lower RPM than the old TH400. Temps never get over 195 even in city traffic. Actually I have not even seen the fan go into high speed yet. I know its not hot outside yet but the old engine in traffic would be inching over 220 just sitting at the light.

It will be car show season soon and cruise nights are starting to happen. So once I get the ac in then it will be getting a lot more time on the road.

Plugs look ok to me.
      Name:  IMG_2759.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  181.5 KB

Block off plate for the ac controls.
      Name:  IMG_2761.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  573.4 KB

Drove it to the firehouse for training.
      Name:  IMG_2771.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  505.1 KB

Bad picture but got the ac controls in. Will probably change this not completely happy with how it looks.
      Name:  IMG_2817.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  306.1 KB

Looking good! Plugs look good.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Nice job fitting the A/c controller. I love the SC whine.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com