Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

New guy with not a typical build

Hey everyone, new to the forum to gain knowledge from the members. I'm from the land of potatoes with a not so common build. If I dont belong give me the boot.. just kidding please dont. Young and dumb so take it easy on me.

I run autocross at the moment and it's a blast. If there where tracks close by I promise I'd be there every day if I could. Grew up near Sonoma and the wonders of high hp drag cars, stock cars, kart racing and everything in between. Witch leads to this...

Current car is a 82 mazda rx7, that has allready been at the hands of this "surgeon" and still I want more from the car like 99% of us.

Plans for the car and why I'm hear. Is to convert from McPherson strut to double wishbone in the front and from this tiny soild axle to double wishbone. Because while I have most of the upgrades for the car handling wise I believe I'm ready for the next step in this cars journey.

I'll start a build thread when I'm allowed so stay tuned for more.

Rotary nut

One of my engineers has a 3rd gen with something like 700hp. He's probably already done a lot of what you're thinking about with a rotary engine. I'll be happy to pass along questions when they come up.

I can already visualize that project!!

IMSA flares
      Front and rear cradle with wishbones out of an MX5/RX8
      13B OR ??
      Big turbo
      Big ports
      Brap-brap-brap brap.
      Jim..Car Junkie
      1969 Vette--Big pistons, No turbo....yet
      RX7 Turbo II--No pistons. Big turbo--now in my Daughter's garage
      68 RS Z/28, '12 Boss 302, 86 911, several RX7's, 3rd gen f-bodies, fox body, and many more..(gone)

hopefully you keep it rotary powered, tell us more.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      One of my engineers has a 3rd gen with something like 700hp. He's probably already done a lot of what you're thinking about with a rotary engine. I'll be happy to pass along questions when they come up.
      Thank you, there will definitely be questions along this journey.

Quote Originally Posted by jimco84x View Post
      I can already visualize that project!!

IMSA flares
      Front and rear cradle with wishbones out of an MX5/RX8
      13B OR ??
      Big turbo
      Big ports
      Brap-brap-brap brap.
      I'll half to get pictures of the car as it sits. Its nothing to look at right now. Paint is striped and is undergoing rust repair. Then the ideas started... I mean its allready mostly striped down to nothing. I'm a little "old school" or special ( I'll let yall decide) and am trying to reduce the amount of fiberglass for the car. I know its lighter ect but there is a certain reward for shaping metal and making something come alive right before your eyes.

With that said it has 4" sheet metal flares as my current set up. That have been blended back into the car cleanly. Unlike most fiberglass flares. I simply cant afford a imsa kit. And why make a car that's allready been built 🤷*♂️, there is no fun in that.

I started with the idea of a 2nd generation rx7 suspension but it still retains McPherson struts but gains a r&p good upgrade alone from the dated reciprocating ball steering it has. But after driving a car that has this modification it still felt like it was lacking in my opinion.

So I gravitated to the idea of rx8 subframes. It has been done in the past. But to what I'm aware of two have completed the swaps and now a third in starting the process. While this will give me the "ideal" setup, with aftermarket and OEM support. For what ever I may need. You cant beat that can you?

Well I think I can. I will preface by saying I am not a engineer, professional fabricator nor have alot of experience in building a suspension from scratch. I know I'll lose alot of people hear with the "keep dreaming kid line".

So I'm going full out. And have a end project that nothing will trump this design. The end all be all so to say. Huge task I know.

C5 knuckles, hubs, rotors ect. Stock is superior to what the car currently has. And leaves alot of room for upgrades later down the road for braking capibilitys. And ofcourse custom control arms. This also would demand a new crossmember. That gives me a huge advantage of being able to locate the engine further back into the car. For the rear c5 knuckles ect a arms but ford 8.8 IRS mostly because I have it allready from another build that never come to light.
      I mean I'll half to cut the car up to swap in x subframe anyways so why not? I have the time.

And yes it will stay rotary power. This is #7 one was sbc swapped with a 4 speed muncie. I miss that car, tires stood no chance against it! But was a nightmare to drive more than 20 miles. One was sbf swapped sold it before I could drive it sadly.

Currently I'm running a street port 12a and it provides all the smiles per gallon with the brap brap brap. And will stay this way untell I know the car is capable of stopping big power. As for that part, 13b half bridge. I still want to take it out for date nights.🤣 with rx8 rotating assembly and gears. When the time comes.
      Super long post I'll apologize before hand.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Rotary nut

Last edited by Failureatlife; 02-09-2021 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Double posted reply

And what would everyone recomend book wise for what I'm getting myself into. Knowledge is king I believe.
      Rotary nut

Name:  51U570MrlJL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  18.2 KB

Those 13B's are getting pricey

Yes they are. But with years of hoarding and buying out everyone local I have quite the assortment of pieces and parts for almost any combination.
      Rotary nut

Welcome. Glad to see someone building not-a-Camaro. Camaros are nice and all, but I like seeing the uncommon builds. They're more of a challenge when you can't just buy a bolt-on kit.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com