Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

T56 long term storage

Don't know if this has ever been discussed before, so apologies if I've missed an existing thread.

I have installed a new T56 six-speed along with a GM crate LS3 into my still incomplete project car. The trans is still "dry" with no fluid poured in yet.

Because of an upcoming overseas move, I have to store my car now for at least one year, probably two before I can turn a wrench on it again. My question is, do I fill the trans with the appropriate trans fluid where it will just sit in the trans without rotation around the gears, or do I leave it dry for storage?

My concern is that if I fill it and then just leave the car sitting in storage, will the transmission fluid eventually find a way to drip out? Is there any harm in just leaving it dry?

side note: this question goes for the crate engine too. Oil it up before storage, or leave it as-is? I could pre-lube the engine as I have a kit for that, but once that is done it would be in the same situation where it would just sit.

side, side note: we're moving to Western Australia. Climate is mild-hot with very low humidity, so the car will not be stored in a location exposed to moist air. I mention that in case there are concerns around condensation within the trans and engine. That said, I'm no expert on the characteristics of condensation, but just putting that out there.

Comments, recommendations, experiences all appreciated. Thanks so much guys!

Funny how the cosmos aligned, but my well connected buddy, Andy, introduced me to Jason who owns Jetstream Custom Auto in Sidney, B.C., (jetstreamauto.ca , amazing, world class restorations), and I had a chance to bounce my long term storage question off of both of them. Conclusion? Fluid up. Because it will be both stored long-term, and shipped across oceans, the probability of condensation and temp fluctuations will be high, so the best protection for all components is to fill the trans, engine, and diff. I'll fill the trans and the rear with the recommended fluids, and then fill the LS3 with oil and then pre-lube it so that it hopefully gets around all components. There's the plan.

Make sure you plug the end of the trans so fluid doesn't leak out. I would use a real trans yoke to stop any leakage.

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      Make sure you plug the end of the trans so fluid doesn't leak out. I would use a real trans yoke to stop any leakage.
      Thanks for that, and excellent tip. I have already installed the new driveshaft with yoke so I should be ok once the fluid is in.

Country Flag: United States
      You might have to fluid up, then drain unfortunately. I have no first hand experience with shipping overseas but have seen/heard of vehicles being shipped have to be drained of all fluids before leaving port. Might check with shipping to find out. I would still fill it to the brim to coat all the internals before you drain to give it the best chance of keeping rust at bay.

I would also contact GM to see if they coat their crate engines before boxing up? Might have to purchase some engine fogger and oil down the cylinders through the spark plugs before you send it on it's salty way.

Not that I stayed at a Holiday Inn or anything of that nature, but here's one of the videos I was mentioning that went through shipping prep: https://youtu.be/rsCnT9J9XKk?t=586
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com