Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Clutch over hang on flywheel

Good evening everyone,

I bought a mcleod rst twin disc clutch for my ls3. I have a spec aluminum flywheel to use. I mocked up the clutch and there is a very minimal overhang of the clutch disc over the recess in the flywheel where it attaches to the crank. We are talking a very small amount, less than .125. I did a Google search and there is a 50/50 split of opinions (the couple I could find). A guy on another forum said he bought the associated mcleod flywheel and there was a small overhang. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by 1985olds View Post
      Good evening everyone,

I bought a mcleod rst twin disc clutch for my ls3. I have a spec aluminum flywheel to use. I mocked up the clutch and there is a very minimal overhang of the clutch disc over the recess in the flywheel where it attaches to the crank. We are talking a very small amount, less than .125. I did a Google search and there is a 50/50 split of opinions (the couple I could find). A guy on another forum said he bought the associated mcleod flywheel and there was a small overhang. What do you guys think?
      I don't see this being an issue.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I would send it back .It just doesnt sound right.

Without seeing it in person I don't want to speculate on whether or not it would be a real problem. I'd say it's more of a difference between how McLeod builds their clutch discs vs. how Spec builds their flywheels. I would call McLeod with the information about your Spec flywheel and ask them what their thoughts are. They may have an alternate solution that will be correct if the current unit isn't.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Thank you everyone for the input, I'll be calling mcleod later and will update

I talked to mcleod, they said it should be all good.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com