Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Bell housing alignment analysis...

I'm aligning a Quick Time RM-8019 bell housing onto an LS427 and I'm doing so with the help of the QuickTime RM-130 indexing plate. I'm using the process as defined in the instructions as well as the Holly instructional video. Found the most positive point which was around the 5-o-clock position and have done several sweeps. All numbers are coming back consistently. Here's an image of my readings...
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0477.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	184842

I would like confirmation that I'm analyzing this properly. So what I'm seeing here is I have an offset of -0.0095" (0.019/2) and that needs to move the bell housing towards my zero mark (5-o-clock position). Correct?

Also, does anyone know what dowels I need to get that will move align the bell housing properly? I've read they come in .007, .014, and .021, so I'm guessing I need the .007 offsets. Is this a GM part or should I be getting it from Holly? A part number would be absolutely fantastic.

Thanks for the help, everyone.
      1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

Your analysis that you need .007" offset dowel pins is correct. I always thought that LS engines had .500" dowel pins, but I am now questioning that. Since you have an engine easily accessible, take some calipers and get the diameter of the dowel pins. Lakewood has many options, but the first step would be to confirm the pin diameter.

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 02-14-2021 at 06:25 PM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Hi Rogue,

The way I see it, you will need to have the offset of the pin towards the -0.019". Ultimately you would want 0.009" but the 0.007" should get you within the Tremec 0.005" max run out spec. Do make sure and check it after you do it.

https://www.tremec.com/anexos/TREMEC...ation.Tips.pdf

Cheers, Steve
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Your analysis that you need .007" offset dowel pins is correct. I always thought that LS engines had .500" dowel pins, but I am now questioning that. Since you have an engine easily accessible, take some calipers and get the diameter of the dowel pins. Lakewood has many options, but the first step would be to confirm the pin diameter.
      Here ya go.
      Name:  IMG_0480.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  285.9 KB

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Motobrewmaster View Post
      The way I see it, you will need to have the offset of the pin towards the -0.019". Ultimately you would want 0.009" but the 0.007" should get you within the Tremec 0.005" max run out spec. Do make sure and check it after you do it.
      Excellent. Thank you, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
      Here ya go.
      Name:  IMG_0480.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  285.9 KB

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent. Thank you, Steve.
      Lakewood lists some .007" offset dowels in that diameter. I believe it's the same as a regular small block.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I was able to get mine very close. BLACK are the first readings. PINK are after offset pins. Well within the 0.005" max limit.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Assuming I have the diameter right, I (think) found two options for offset dowels. There's the Lakewood offsets and the RobbMc offsets. Anyone have any thoughts on any of these? Also, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what's the need for the screw in the dowel? Aren't they just friction fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Motobrewmaster View Post
      I was able to get mine very close. BLACK are the first readings. PINK are after offset pins. Well within the 0.005" max limit.
      Yup. That came out nice.

The set screw is to prevent the pin from walking (turning) due to vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
      Assuming I have the diameter right, I (think) found two options for offset dowels. There's the Lakewood offsets and the RobbMc offsets. Anyone have any thoughts on any of these? Also, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what's the need for the screw in the dowel? Aren't they just friction fit?
      The RobbMc ones are all that I use now... the set screw expands the slightly undersized dowel to lock it into place. It makes fine tuning the rotational position FAR easier than pounding in the lakewood ones and then trying to rotate them after they are in. Worth the few extra $$
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vette427-sbc View Post
      The RobbMc ones are all that I use now... the set screw expands the slightly undersized dowel to lock it into place. It makes fine tuning the rotational position FAR easier than pounding in the lakewood ones and then trying to rotate them after they are in. Worth the few extra $$
      Ordered them last night. Now the wait begins. I wonder how quickly they turn around orders.

Did you check/verify the parallel alignment between the block and the BH first before checking the runout?

Quote Originally Posted by TBART70 View Post
      I linked to that video in my post.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ctcz28 View Post
      Did you check/verify the parallel alignment between the block and the BH first before checking the runout?
      Yes. I was all good there.

Did we do the math wrong here? I got the .007 pins as recommended and installed them. I'm now reading an offset of -.006, which makes sense, since...
      -.019+.007=-.012/2= -.006

So the offset dowel pins did exactly as expected. The problem is -.006 is still out of spec. Sounds like I was suppose to get the .014 offsets which would have given me an offset of -.0025, well within spec, since...
      -.019+.014=-.05/2= -.0025

So did I get the wrong pins?

---

Edit: Ok, no. That math above that I did was wrong. Using .007 offset dowel pins should have put me at an offset of .0025 (-.019/2=-.0095+.007=-.0025), well within spec. The problem is my offset dowels didn't move the full amount. That's absolutely strange. I tripled checked those number. I even removed and the bell housing several times, re-torqued everything, repositioned the dial, and re-ran tests. I ALWAYS came out to -.019 or -.0195. Always. Guess I need to troubleshoot this more.

How did this turn out for you?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com