Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Speedtech Chicane Coil Over brackets and your specs

Looking to see what any of you are running when doing the Speedtech Chicane coil over conversion brackets on your first gen F-body.

What lower arms are you using with this?

Stroke/length of shock?

Coil spring 8" , 9", or 10" ?

Coil spring rate? 600, 700 lbs etc?

Chicane upper mount cage kit as seen here for those unfamiliar:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZz0mCcBINM/

First gen coilover users w/ Speedtech chicane top cage... lets hear your specs on shocks

Country Flag: Canada
      Well its all going ro change based off of what engine what are your goals for the car , use of the car heck even tire size
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Just from experience,why don't you just use speedtech arms?
      It's all made to work together with there shock specs.
      72 chevelle.

Well yes I can use Speedtech lower arms and a 4.1" stroke shock. But seeing if anyone is running say ridetech lowers which then allow for a longer 5" or so stroke shock.. or any other combo

And yes I know different motors, etc will factor in to spring rates used. But want to hear what those are using so one thread has the info.

Post away.

Thanks.

If your running the chicane, and want to install ridetech lowers,YOU'LL NEED TO set the car up at YOUR desired ride height and pick the right stroke shock for YOUR application.
      Also with spring rates is if one person says a 550lbs spring is stiff,it might feel soft to someone else.
      Your best bet is to get some uaed hyperco spring off ebay
      And see how they feel.
      Good luck.
      72 chevelle.

My understanding is the chicane mount can fit a coilover with plenty of compression and extension travel at a typical 2" lowered ride height using a t-bar lower mount in a conventional lower arm (one with a conventional spring pocket). What is your goal with combining the drop mount in the lower control arm with the raised mount of the chicane? My understanding is the Ride Tech and QA1 etc arms that have a double shear lowered mount integrated into the arm are designed to solve the same problem (fitting a long enough shock into the space) differently. What is your goal for combining the two approaches?

Something to consider on the Ride Tech arms is the instructions state only for use with their sway bar (not compatible with stock type).
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

chicane

I have a 68 Chevelle and I did install the chicane upper mounts but decided to remove them and went with Global West's extended kit. For my application I like them much better.. I also have Speedtech's upper and lower control arms, AFX speedtech spindles with viking coil overs..

Quote Originally Posted by dgonzale View Post
      I have a 68 Chevelle and I did install the chicane upper mounts but decided to remove them and went with Global West's extended kit.
      That's a nice looking solution for A body. I like how they include reinforcement sleeves for the UCA mounting bolts and use those for locating the mount during fitup/welding. Unfortunately looks like they do not make it for 1st gen F-body / 3rd gen X-body.

Name:  2022-04-14_14-37-02.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  23.0 KB
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

68 chevelle

I have a 550lb 10" spring and a viking 207-T shock with my setup.. My frame sits about 4.5 inches from the ground. I don''t have it completely dialed in yet. I have not had it on the street yet, still in the build stage..Name:  IMG_0266.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  418.9 KB

On my 2nd gen camaro I'm looking to use the global west extended length coilover mount while combining that with speedtech upper,lower control arms and spindle. From pictures the global west mount looks to be raise at least one inch higher than the speedtech unit just from pictures. it would be helpful to find the aactual height spec for both these mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by AMPZ28 View Post
      On my 2nd gen camaro I'm looking to use the global west extended length coilover mount while combining that with speedtech upper,lower control arms and spindle. From pictures the global west mount looks to be raise at least one inch higher than the speedtech unit just from pictures. it would be helpful to find the aactual height spec for both these mounts.
      Name:  PXL_20220227_031956694.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  234.7 KB
      I installed the global west conversion recently, there is about 4" from the base of the frame to the shock mount
      You won't be able to use speedtech arms when you do this conversion, when you buy the kit it comes with special arms due to stock style arms not having enough clearance anymore.
      I picked this kit out of all companies because the bracket looked to have the most travel, easiest install, and strongest mount.

Hi, with the clearance issue you mentioned. are you talking about interference on the top control arm to the coilover mount?
      also, which spindle are you using out of curiosity? I want to be able to use my AFX spindle.
      Thanks.

Upper 2nd gen camaro control arms are usually flat and have a bump stop in the center of the arm, because of this, stock style arms won't work as the movement would hit the new shock mount.
      When you buy the kit from global west their control arms are included and have more of a curve to them. You also weld a new bump stop to avoid this issue.

The speedtech arms may work, but it is unlikely global west will sell you just the bracket alone, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I intend on using stock style spindles, your AFX are direct bolt ins so I don't expect you to run into issues.

I was able to place an order for the global west mounts themselves. Guess we will see if they fit. I also asked about the spec height for the different coilovers. speedtech (14.25 inches) and global west (19.5 inches).

We used the Chicane kit to replace the now non existent Detroit Speed coil over conversion kit on my daughters '74 Nova. It has Global West upper and lower arms for a stock suspension. The lower arms were modified (plated) to adapt to coil overs. The coil overs we used are Chris Alstons Varishocks. They are the 5.15" stroke single adjustable. 10" 550lb springs from Viking. We actually just had her coil overs rebuilt. They were so old there was an update kit that had to be done on them. Turnaround was less than a week from us shipping them out. About $360ish including shipping both ways. Car rides excellent.
      Matt H.