Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Recommended budget scales?

Hey Folks!

After reading and learning more about setting up suspensions, it is apparent that being able to scale your car is very useful (essential actually). I want to learn more and start playing with my car to continue improving. I have alignment tools and have squared my car which taught me a bunch. It sounds like I might want to add scales to the tool list.

So what scales do you all have experience with and would recommend for a budget minded amateur?
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

I haven't seen any real budget scales..... I guess its really what is your budget

Good thread, I'm about to start going down this road soon and am curious as well what people are using in their garage.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I got the Longacre Accuset II scales.

So far, I'm happy with them.

Currently under $1100 on Amazon... seemed like a good value compared to others I looked at.

Thanks Rod & Lonnie,

I would like to stay around the $1000 range if possible. Just searching Speedway & Summit then looking at the different options, these looked like possibilities. That said I am open to all suggestions.

Proform - https://www.proformparts.com/product...pads-hard-case

Kit from Speedway using the Proform above with ramps - https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Motors-Wireless-Scales-and-Ramps-Kit,451219. note: I like the idea of ramps to minimize the side loading from the suspension settling.

Longacre scales Lonnie suggested - http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...;-Basic-System

Longacre next level up - http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...s®-Hybrid-DX2-
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Well, I have an old set of hydraulic scales I bought used a number of years ago. Roll on to the pad, read pressure off the gauge, need to figure F/R percentage and cross-weight using, let me see, I think they used to called it math. Think I'm in about $200.

Looking at the Longacre, Speedway, and Proform, does anyone else get the vibe they are rebranding the same scales? DRO for Speedway and ProForm look the same, Longacre's is different, but the pads look like they came from the same pod....
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

hello
      you are talking about After reading and learning more about setting up suspensions, it is apparent that being able to scale your car is very useful (essential actually). I think you have to search google

Please expound.
      Quote Originally Posted by dora_wil21 View Post
      hello
      you are talking about After reading and learning more about setting up suspensions, it is apparent that being able to scale your car is very useful (essential actually). I think you have to search google

​Spammer....

1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Years ago I bought a set of used scales and roll-off stands on eBay. I was happy with the price of $750 for the pads, control unit, and aluminum stands, especially as that included shipping which wasn't cheap. I found a local friend who also wants to use them, so we split the cost.

For as little as you will ultimately use them, I highly recommend seeing if you can find someone else local to split the cost with you. They are great to use and tune the car with, but it's also a lot of work to set up and do correctly (I also bought a laser sight leveler to get the pads all at the same height).

Good luck!
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

70 Camaro RS Hunk'o'Metal - Previous Project
      71 Firebird Project T.O.W. - New Project

I’ve got the proform wireless ones... seem to work well, the wireless is a nice feature. I’ve had an intermittent problem with one of the scales not being seen, but a few power cycles on that scale seems to fix it.
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Just a follow-up

My wireless scales. They are hydraulic, use a piston w/ 1sq inch area into a pressure gauge, read the corner weight directly from the gauige. Some times old tech is better tecg- then sometimes, it's just old.

Seems appropriate that I used this on a vintage race MGB

Name:  IMG_20210508_112220389.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  15.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20210508_112253978.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  20.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20200619_182534623.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  48.7 KB
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

If you don't need million dollar race car accuracy, how does 20 bucks sound?

https://www.corral.net/threads/weigh...e-pics.993701/

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com