Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Tremec - Swapping out .64 for .82 5th gear in TKO 600

Hi guys

My Dad has a TKO600 in his '69 Camaro. (.64 5th), I have a TKO600RR (.82 5th) in my '69 vette. The .64 sucks IHMO. Apparently it's possible to change out the .64 for the .82? i.e change the gear in the transmission.

I've emailed Standard Transmission Gear twice and emailed Tremec but no reply as of yet.

Anyone know anything about this swap? Cost? difficulty?

I'm in Northern Ireland so it's not that easy or cheap for me to call people up. Much easier to email.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Aaron.

Country Flag: United States
      Hi Aaron,

I don't know the answer, but here is a link to a video by Paul:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YBeFZzv83Y

It shows a complete TKO teardown. It might give you an idea of what would be involved.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Hi Andrew, great find!

The guy explains how fifth gear is part of the input shaft, therefore requiring the expense of a new shaft, other parts and total strip down of the trans.

We'll stick with the .64 trans but change the rear gears from 3.73 to either 3.25 or 3.40 (Ford 9"), will write another post about it.

Thanks.
      Aaron.

You’ll need to go numerically higher on you rear gear to get the impact you’re looking for on the overdrive.
      Edit: Just read your other post. You’re ok with the OD ratio being made “worse”, so numerically lower will help 1-4.

Jeff K.
      69 Camaro SS, 406 SBC, TKO600, 9" w/3.73 tru-trac, Speedtech Arms, AFX Spindles, Lee 670 Box, Baer GT front, C5Z rear. Hyperco Leafs w/ Fays2 Watts Link + Varishocks.

Quote Originally Posted by jknight16 View Post
      You’ll need to go numerically higher on you rear gear to get the impact you’re looking for on the overdrive.
      Edit: Just read your other post. You’re ok with the OD ratio being made “worse”, so numerically lower will help 1-4.
      Hi.

After driving my vette for 10 years with the .82 fifth. I absolutely love it. i'll change the 3.55 gears to 3.36 soon and that'll be perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com