Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Beautiful work. Awesome skills.

Don

Thanks! Use to work at a car audio shop back in the day when fiberglassing contoured shaped speaker enclosures became popular. Owe all my composite knowledge to that time. Here's a better shot from the opposite side.

Name:  IMG_2705 (2).jpg
Views: 895
Size:  179.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
      I'm actually in Huntington,, 7 miles north of town.
      Too cool. Being a car guy the names Hoss Cocklin, Todd DeLay, and Greg Boxel may be familiar to you.

Just a few catchup items. My local car Audio shop said this stuff works very well under the headliner. Its nice and thick but lightweight and is layered with acoustic foam, foil material, and that sticky butyl rubber. With no AC and the planned satin black color I'm going to need all the help I can get.

Name:  IMG_2983.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  370.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2984.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  278.6 KB

Installing the Quick Ratio 12.7:1 box was a royal pain. I know these old headers have seen better days but they fit OK before. Cant understand after all this time why no one makes a set of headers that fit perfect for these cars. I had to cut and add a new section to go around the new steering gear. No need trying to source new headers anyway when an engine change is a future possibility. Was a fair bit of work just for about 3/8" of clearance but did not want to do the ball peen hammer thing.

Name:  IMG_2799.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  410.9 KB

Just gotta take it back out now and finish the welds. I know it looks like the cylinder#3 pipe hits the box but it clears by 1/4". Just a funky picture angle.

Name:  IMG_2798 (2).jpg
Views: 879
Size:  405.4 KB

You ever have those few body panel areas that are just gapped weird and makes you twitch when you look at them? Good old aftermarket sheet metal. Waiting on parts soooo........

Name:  IMG_2263.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  365.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2266.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  300.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2282.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  284.2 KB

Nice Job! you can't even tell it was touched.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      Nice Job! you can't even tell it was touched.
      Thanks! Not a fan of body work but I'm forcing myself to get better to remain a true DYI guy. LOL! I usually warp the heck out of these panels but learned to take my time. Only needed a skin coat this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraftwork69 View Post
      Just a few catchup items. My local car Audio shop said this stuff works very well under the headliner. Its nice and thick but lightweight and is layered with acoustic foam, foil material, and that sticky butyl rubber. With no AC and the planned satin black color I'm going to need all the help I can get.

Installing the Quick Ratio 12.7:1 box was a royal pain. I know these old headers have seen better days but they fit OK before. Cant understand after all this time why no one makes a set of headers that fit perfect for these cars. I had to cut and add a new section to go around the new steering gear. No need trying to source new headers anyway when an engine change is a future possibility. Was a fair bit of work just for about 3/8" of clearance but did not want to do the ball peen hammer thing.

Name:  IMG_2799.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  410.9 KB

Just gotta take it back out now and finish the welds. I know it looks like the cylinder#3 pipe hits the box but it clears by 1/4". Just a funky picture angle.

Name:  IMG_2798 (2).jpg
Views: 879
Size:  405.4 KB

Great work fabbing up that new dash pad! What size primaries are on those headers, my headers have 3/4" clearance with my Delphi 600 box, Flowtech's
      In for more update's

Attachment 185819

Nice work you're doing! Dash pad looks like it came out really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by slazisme View Post
      Great work fabbing up that new dash pad! What size primaries are on those headers, my headers have 3/4" clearance with my Delphi 600 box, Flowtech's
      In for more update's
      Thanks. They're 1-3/4" primaries. I see now that the 600 series boxes are smaller which would of helped. I also saw that the Flowtechs are popular for their better clearances as well. Next time!

The motor is how I want it for now so time for a little more fiberglass work:

Name:  IMG_3096.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  328.4 KB

3/4" scrap cut to the shape of the electric fan:

Name:  IMG_3016.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  557.6 KB

Partial box together dimensioned as the radiator:

Name:  IMG_3020.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  394.2 KB

Covered with tape .................

Name:  IMG_3021.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  340.5 KB

....... three coats of wax to serve as the release agent:

Name:  IMG_3023.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  208.1 KB

Polyester Fleece stretched tight, stapled and ready for resin:

Name:  IMG_3048.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  384.9 KB

Fleece is thick so apply heavily:

Name:  IMG_3049.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  576.9 KB

Remove carefully when fully cured:

Name:  IMG_3054.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  515.9 KB

Start test fitting after some light sanding and trimming:

Name:  IMG_3067.jpg
Size:  393.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3069.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  307.7 KB

Little filler, sand smooth, and prime for paint:

Name:  IMG_3083.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  594.5 KB

Fun project and I think looks and may even perform better than the flat aluminum setups. We shall see.

Country Flag: New Zealand
      Thanks. They're 1-3/4" primaries. I see now that the 600 series boxes are smaller which would of helped. I also saw that the Flowtechs are popular for their better clearances as well. Next time!

The motor is how I want it for now so time for a little more fiberglass work:

Name:  IMG_3096.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  328.4 KB

3/4" scrap cut to the shape of the electric fan:

Name:  IMG_3016.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  557.6 KB

Partial box together dimensioned as the radiator:

Name:  IMG_3020.jpg
Size:  394.2 KB

Covered with tape .................

Name:  IMG_3021.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  340.5 KB

....... three coats of wax to serve as the release agent:

Name:  IMG_3023.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  208.1 KB

Polyester Fleece stretched tight, stapled and ready for resin:

Name:  IMG_3048.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  384.9 KB

Fleece is thick so apply heavily:

Name:  IMG_3049.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  576.9 KB

Remove carefully when fully cured:

Name:  IMG_3054.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  515.9 KB

Start test fitting after some light sanding and trimming:

Name:  IMG_3067.jpg
Size:  393.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3069.jpg
Size:  307.7 KB

Little filler, sand smooth, and prime for paint:

Name:  IMG_3083.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  594.5 KB

Fun project and I think looks and may even perform better than the flat aluminum setups. We shall see.
      nice build!what brand are your acc pulleys etc?regards

Quote Originally Posted by Gmc427 View Post
      nice build!what brand are your acc pulleys etc?regards
      Thanks! Getting there. Pulleys and PS mount are from March Performance.

Mentioned earlier that the upper hardware that comes with the Speedtech Chicane mount kit was undesirable. I'm sure its plenty strong but was able to find what I was wanting. If interested the part number is MS21250-38 and can be sourced at most aviation hardware companies. It's a 180 KSI, 200,000 PSI tensile strength bolt. Overkill? Well....yea.

Name:  IMG_3080.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  169.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3073 (2).jpg
Size:  261.7 KB

So I had removed the torsion rods awhile back and this is my sad trunk prop rod. Either they were worn out or this aftermarket trunk lid is just too heavy for them. Is it me or are these trunk lids way heavier than they need to be?

Name:  IMG_2977.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  278.6 KB

With the battery now in the trunk this just wont do anymore so time to get some functional bling.

Name:  IMG_2953.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  353.7 KB

Installation was pretty simple but did need to make some shims to get the trunk lid height back to where it should be. Figure I'd use slices of carbon sheet to not add anymore weight to this heavy trunk lid.

Name:  IMG_3095.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  475.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3143.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  224.6 KB

Problem is you just cant put those in the back and leave these up front.

Name:  IMG_2979.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  488.3 KB

Problem solved but phew $$$$$$.

Name:  IMG_2919.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  499.1 KB

The hood literally flies all the way open when unlatched! Wondering if the struts are just a bit too strong for this aftermarket steel cowl hood. It wont stay in any position once opened but all the way up. The back could definitely use something stronger like these. May see if I can swap those all out but I'm happy overall. Solid open and close with no wiggle now.

Name:  IMG_2920.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  207.0 KB

Again, seems once you add a little bling it just grows from there. LOL. Had to splurge on these as well.

Name:  IMG_3139.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  256.4 KB

Wheels are Boze ProTour wheels with 18X8 up front wrapped in 225/40 Pilot Sports (I saw that this is what most folks use), and 18X11 out back with 315/30s. Zak at Boze spent a while with me on the phone making sure the measurements were perfect. Good experience and learned a lot. Small body issues to clean up with exhaust fixes then rolling.

Name:  IMG_3072.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  348.8 KB

When you say "I'll just fix this one area", it just exposes more and more spots that need attention. Fixing that trunk lid gap grew into an entire blocking of the body. It did need it though but nothing more than skin coats here and there:

Name:  IMG_2122.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  382.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2286.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  350.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2289.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  386.7 KB

So here we have it with what I call "stage 1" complete and a coat of hot rod black primer (for now). Take a stock 69 Base Camaro and install: mini-tubs, 4-link, coil-overs all the way around, big sway bar, tubular control arms (Improved caster/negative camber gain), fast ratio steering gear, Disc brakes with hydroboost, sub-frame connectors with solid body mounts, and finally wheels with soft rubber................ and what I got was a dramatically different and extremely fun driving vehicle. I'm sold. Nothing terrible to bolt-on with just a little welding. Time to enjoy this for the rest of the warm season and contemplate what "stage 2" will look like. Cheers!

Name:  IMG_2521.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  491.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2591.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  581.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2797.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  395.1 KB

Country Flag: Canada
      Awesome! I enjoyed the ride along... Went through it from the start again. Great way to enjoy my afternoon coffee break. I got glimpses of my future too!

Great job.

When you say "I'll just fix this one area", it just exposes more and more spots that need attention. Fixing that trunk lid gap grew into an entire blocking of the body. It did need it though but nothing more than skin coats here and there:

Name:  IMG_2122.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  382.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2286.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  350.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2289.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  386.7 KB

So here we have it with what I call "stage 1" complete and a coat of hot rod black primer (for now). Take a stock 69 Base Camaro and install: mini-tubs, 4-link, coil-overs all the way around, big sway bar, tubular control arms (Improved caster/negative camber gain), fast ratio steering gear, Disc brakes with hydroboost, sub-frame connectors with solid body mounts, and finally wheels with soft rubber................ and what I got was a dramatically different and extremely fun driving vehicle. I'm sold. Nothing terrible to bolt-on with just a little welding. Time to enjoy this for the rest of the warm season and contemplate what "stage 2" will look like. Cheers!

Name:  IMG_2521.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  491.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2591.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  581.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2797.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  395.1 KB
      Any info on your console? Is that just a stock 69 console that you modified? Looks great!

Glad to see your progress coming along nicely! Now that the car is rolling on new wheels n rubber it's gotta make you feel that all that hard work is staring to pay off and show. Keep on rockin in the free world.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheveezy View Post
      Any info on your console? Is that just a stock 69 console that you modified? Looks great!
      Console was one of the first things I made for the car. All home grown. MDF and fiberglass. Wish I had taken some pics but may be making one for my neighbor and will document construction. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhlhaus View Post
      Awesome! I enjoyed the ride along... Went through it from the start again. Great way to enjoy my afternoon coffee break. I got glimpses of my future too!

Great job.
      Thanks Ken! Following your 67 build as well. I learn tons by watching. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by slazisme View Post
      Glad to see your progress coming along nicely! Now that the car is rolling on new wheels n rubber it's gotta make you feel that all that hard work is staring to pay off and show. Keep on rockin in the free world.

It it sure is rewarding. I'm still a bit surprised at how well it handles corners. Also very pleased with how easy all the gear was to install and adjust. Already started another shopping list. LOL!

Console was one of the first things I made for the car. All home grown. MDF and fiberglass. Wish I had taken some pics but may be making one for my neighbor and will document construction. Thanks!
      Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com