Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

PTS-1 69 Camaro (Pro-Tour-Street No.1)

Well, here we go everyone. Home garage 1969 Camaro build on a budget. Been researching for awhile and I see that there's a fixed formula for a Pro-Touring vintage car. I'm following those basic ground rules and addressing handling, stopping, speed, and looks in incremental stages (no deep pockets here). Ultimate goal is a fun driver for the back country roads.

Well here she is. Nothing special. Just an X44 Base with what appears to be a bunch of Taiwanese metal already in place (floors, quarters). First step is to address all the "interesting" things the previous owner(s) have done to this poor car. Then, lets start with the rear suspension. Hoping to learn a lot from you guys. More to follow........

Name:  69 Base.JPG
Views: 1909
Size:  657.8 KB

whats the end goal of the car? what you install skill level (welder, fabricator) that will help a little on advice

such as a full touring car and we will see you at Goodguys, optima, Drive AutoX a few times a years, a simple 4 link and some adjustable coil overs are a good base for that and from there we can decide the levels........

or a casual tourer, a simple street grip that gives some of the stance, easy install, and the car will ride well and turn well

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      whats the end goal of the car? what you install skill level (welder, fabricator) that will help a little on advice

such as a full touring car and we will see you at Goodguys, optima, Drive AutoX a few times a years, a simple 4 link and some adjustable coil overs are a good base for that and from there we can decide the levels........

or a casual tourer, a simple street grip that gives some of the stance, easy install, and the car will ride well and turn well

End goal right now is a fun street car for the back country roads. I can weld and fabricate with welders/plasma cutter and the necessary tools accounted for.

This is my 3rd car project. Cut my teeth on a hot VW bug and built a V8 S-10 Mini-Truck many moons ago. Those are all gone now and this, and a Trailblazer SS (daily driver), are the only cars in the shop right now.

From all the readings I can definitely see the appeal to progress into a full touring car. Baby steps. LOL!

I know I know, there's a bunch of mini-tub pics on here already. But you cant have too much, right? LOL! As for the anemic tiny 10 bolt, It'll definitely get replaced as the power train items are upgraded in time. She can handle what's going to remain up front for now. Enjoy!

Name:  IMG_0616 (2).jpg
Views: 1880
Size:  264.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0626.jpg
Views: 1811
Size:  286.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0628.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  282.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0630.jpg
Views: 1840
Size:  220.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0645.jpg
Views: 1800
Size:  310.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0646.jpg
Views: 1845
Size:  291.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0685.jpg
Views: 1876
Size:  249.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0680.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  247.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0618.jpg
Views: 1815
Size:  533.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2764.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  313.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0695.jpg
Views: 1863
Size:  444.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0696.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  302.6 KB

I'm curious why you stayed with the spring pad mount for the lower shock and lower link instead of the weld on bracket. I just did mine and the spring pad sure would have been easier

Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
      I'm curious why you stayed with the spring pad mount for the lower shock and lower link instead of the weld on bracket. I just did mine and the spring pad sure would have been easier
      Hello there. This ridetech kit was specifically designed to work with the original rear axle's leaf spring perches and does not include lower weld-on mounts. Only the top link mounts required welding. On the heavy side but does simplify installation a bunch when using a factory rear end.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraftwork69 View Post
      Hello there. This ridetech kit was specifically designed to work with the original rear axle's leaf spring perches and does not include lower weld-on mounts. Only the top link mounts required welding. On the heavy side but does simplify installation a bunch when using a factory rear end.
      I did the same kit, however, I went with the lower weld on brackets. I have the spring perch brackets sitting on a shelf, might try to sell.

Resized_20201218_153203 by F G, on Flickr

Resized_20201229_191330 by F G, on Flickr

Honestly that's a much cleaner looking way to do it and if my future upgraded axle doesn't come with them I'll be doing it your way as well. Thanks for the pics!

Just noticed I use the same kerosene heater to knock the chill off so a little work can get done this winter. LOL

So when you remove this stuff......

Name:  IMG_2911 (1).jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  313.1 KB

..... and you cut out this stuff.......

Name:  IMG_2918.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  131.9 KB

... all this cool gear can finally be installed. ridetech is an awesome company to work with! :

Name:  IMG_2811 (2).jpg
Views: 1516
Size:  282.8 KB

I could not get Speedtech's Chicane mount to work with the Gulstrand mod. Had to settle with tall upper ball joints. I've read that there's little to no difference between the two in terms of the amount of negative camber gained during cornering.

Name:  IMG_2809 (2).jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  218.0 KB

I know I know...wear gloves but what's the secret again to remove POR-15 from your hands? LOL! I did not like the sharp corners on the front chicane brackets. Looked like stress risers to me so I filled them in with chamfers. Also not a fan of the upper bolt. Searching for a 12 point MS or NAS aircraft bolt designed for shear loads now (will look better too).

Name:  IMG_2812 (2).jpg
Views: 1602
Size:  253.5 KB

And this finishes off the front suspension for now.

Name:  IMG_0991.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  248.1 KB

It appears to be a consensus that DSE's subframe connectors are the best choice for stiffening up the undercarriage. From a structural standpoint intersecting the floor pan for addition stiffness makes sense to me. I also found a post on here where someone welded in sleeves to support through bolts vs. welding them to the subframe. With all that said, here you go......

Name:  IMG_2505.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  220.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2507.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  205.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2509.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  238.8 KB

Pulling up sound deadening material after its been down for a bit is a royal pain by the way. Wasn't fun at all.

Name:  IMG_2512.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  511.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2514.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  496.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2994.jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  182.1 KB

Beautiful job on those subframe connectors

Many thanks! I was a bit nervous cutting into the floor. Must've measured and marked for hours. 😂 Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I agree nice job! It all looks good.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      I agree nice job! It all looks good.
      Thanks Wayne. Fantastic work on your Camaro by the way. Very inspirational!

Here's some interior work I did earlier before tackling the suspension. I never liked the factory dash cap and word on the block was the aftermarket ones are low quality and don't fit well. Had decided to make my own.

Taped off the dash area and coated it with Pam as the release agent:

Name:  IMG_2024 (2).jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  168.4 KB

After laying down a layer of fleece with a layer of 1/2 oz cloth, trimmed to ensure fitment and left on to cure.

Name:  IMG_2026 (2).jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  219.5 KB

Wooden frame is built to support the contour shape around the gauge cluster area. This is where you can get creative with different shapes. I kept it kinda simple.

Name:  IMG_2027 (2).jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  183.6 KB

After glassing over the frame with lots of filling, sanding and priming.

Name:  IMG_2336.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  290.6 KB

These are the best I've used to reproduce that plastic/vinyl grain texture/color.

Name:  IMG_2704.jpg
Views: 1395
Size:  262.1 KB

Finished dash cap.

Name:  IMG_2703.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  191.4 KB

Stainless steel mesh installed over the defog vents.

Name:  IMG_2091.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  383.7 KB

Are you freakin kidding me? That looks awesome. If you're ever near Fort Wayne, please stop by and help do mine. All the free pizza and beer you can handle.. lol

Are you freakin kidding me? That looks awesome. If you're ever near Fort Wayne, please stop by and help do mine. All the free pizza and beer you can handle.. lol
      Will do!!!! LOL! You know I lived in Huntington for three years and spent lots of time in Fort Wayne. I do miss it up there.

Cheers!

Beautiful work. Awesome skills.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by Kraftwork69 View Post
      Will do!!!! LOL! You know I lived in Huntington for three years and spent lots of time in Fort Wayne. I do miss it up there.

Cheers!
      I'm actually in Huntington,, 7 miles north of town.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com