Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Sub Location question

Hey Guys, I am putting a stereo in my 1st gen Camaro and need to locate the subwoofer/box.
      The two locations that look the best to me are in the driver side back corner or in the center.

I am not looking for perfect sound and hope to not loose my truck to the sub. This is supposed to end up being a car we can take on trips plus daily drive, thus suitcases and such will need to fit.

It will not work directly behind the rear seat as my fuel tank vent and differential vent live there now.

If any of you have experience with the corner location that is my preferred spot. But I have no idea if that is ok for sound quality.

Looking forward to hearing your experience and opinions. Cheers, Steve
      Attached Images Attached Images      
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Why don't you build a box to suit?

Find the datasheet on the subwoofer you own, look to see how many cubic feet of airspace it needs and build a box to go on the rear axle tray avoiding your vents.

Cubic feet is length x width x height. If you're using 1/2" MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) you have to account for the width of the material so you're only calculating the inside airspace. You can also account for the space taken up by the sub/wiring/etc.

Build the box, use a bead of liquid nails at the seams to glue the box together / make it air tight, spray bomb it with some flexstone paint to match the trunk, done.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Why not run a free air subwoofer or two in your rear deck? Lots of modern luxury cars with premium audio systems are setup this way. You don't necessarily have to cut any sheet metal; just make sure there's some open area (50%+) above your subwoofer(s). All you have to do is cut out a 3/4" mdf adapter to go between the bottom of your rear deck and the sub. I've done this in several cars with good results - I've fired both 10" and 12" subs through the 6x9 holes with no issues. You do lose a little efficiency vs a giant well tuned box, but this can be mitigated by sealing any holes between the trunk and cabin.

Example of what I'm talking about: https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa...pgrade.130441/
      - Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Motobrewmaster View Post
      If any of you have experience with the corner location that is my preferred spot. But I have no idea if that is ok for sound quality.
      Lots of OEMs put woofers in this location. The acoustics will be fine and actually better than firing directly into the rear seat due to reflective wave cancellation.

2000 Silverado RCSB

Built 6.1L / Kenne Bell 2.8L / 4L80E / Suspension

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com