Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Recaro Sportster CS - 69 Firebird review

So when I did my Magnum swap just over a year ago, I swapped the stock Deluxe bucket seat for a Sparco Chrono (needed a folding seat for back seat access) in black vinyl, medium size. I also popped for the Sparco brand sliders and bracket. They don't make a bracket for a 69 Firebird so I made due with the 69 Camaro version. The bracket never fit flush all the way on all 4 ears to the floor, but close enough (I just added some washers). I swapped in the Morris Classic 3-pt seat belt too. With the Sparco Chrono the seat belt was always on my neck and the left thigh bolster was always a pain point and not just because of the clutch. I couldn't get the wider version of the seat because this one just barely fit between the console and the Morris seat belt retractor. From nearly the 2nd week dealing with all of this I knew it had to go, especially because it sat me up too high and blocked too much rear vision when turning my head.

Shopping around and based on comfort/appearance I decided the Recaro Sportster CS was the seat for me. After saving up, I found a place in Poland (AMX) through their eBay auctions that deals with these seats almost exclusively and does full custom interior upholstery work. The work I saw in their YouTube videos made them the obvious choice. Buying stuff out of country sight unseen did worry me just a bit (although their reviews are fantastic, especially on the BMW forums), so I reached out to Fesler for a quote. Because I wanted custom upholstery, it was a lot. But $2K more than the place in Poland. So I went with AMX, paid them the deposit, and he ordered them in from Germany.

I bought a set of 2 in the cheapest all cloth version since we were doing away with that anyway. I had them do black Alcantara in the center and black vinyl on the bolsters, added red stitching at the seams, added stitching down the middle, had RECARO stitched in red, and had them make integrated loops for the shoulder seat belt strap. I also really like the extra headrest padding that the JDM only Recaro Sportsters got for 2019 so I have that reproduced. They are super soft and plush and give the perfect amount of room for my helmet still.

I bought Recaro brand sliders and for the brackets I went with Planted (plus their hardware kits) because they made a set specifically for the 69 Firebird. I also knew I'd need low profile turn knobs to clear the Morris seat belt retractors, found only 1 place that makes them, they are nice black powder-coated aluminum (and I have an extra set for sale). I also bought 2 custom seat covers to protect them when not at a car show or at the track along with the usual suede spray protectant for spills/moisture (I use the same stuff on my steering wheel).

Attached are the pictures AMX sent me prior to shipping (we were in constant contact on WhatsApp about everything). Took about 8 weeks total, 4 weeks just for him to get them from Recaro. I don't have pictures of them in my car because I installed them with the seat covers. Next time I take the covers off I'll take some daylight pics and update this post.

The shoulder belts finally lay across my shoulder instead of my neck, the Planted brackets fit 100% perfect with the floor of the Firebird. Even with the Firebird center console that gets wider towards the front, I can still get a finger between the bolster and the console. For the passenger seat, it's centered perfectly on the Planted bracket. For the driver seat, it's moved all the way toward the center console so it clears the retractor same amount as the passenger side did. It's really great the brackets have this room for adjustment. The seats get by the Morris retractors with just a couple millimetres to spare using the low profile turn knobs. I really couldn't be happier with how everything turned out. My only gripe is that the passenger seat has limited forward-back adjustment because the handle is right up against my H3R 2.5lb extinguisher using the H3R seat mount bracket. But it does adjust forward enough to be close to inline with where I like my driver seat. The solution will be to bend those handles upwards a bit, not a big deal.

The bolsters on the Sportsters give me nearly 2" extra width for my thighs (which made all the difference with the clutch) and they have me back down to the same height as the stock seats were. The tops of the headrests don't interfere with my sun visors when leaned forward for rear seat access, and I like that the release is up top. I have about a dozen hours of drivetime on them and I couldn't be happier. It was a lot of money, but some of the best money I've ever spent on the car. They really contribute a lot to making the car feel that much more comfortable and daily useable. The seats are super light and even after the sliders and brackets, a fair bit less than the Sparco. They do take a special technique for getting out of the car tho to clear the outer thigh bolster.

I know these seats have been out for 10 years or better, but if you are on the fence about getting them, don't be. Buy them!
      Attached Images Attached Images                  
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Wow these turned out great, can't wait to see them in your car.

I'm putting a set of Recaro Pole Positions in my 67 camaro convertible.

Can you share the link for the low profile turn knobs?

I'm considering doing planted vs wedge engineering on brackets for mine, coupled with the recaro aluminum side mounts.

Thinking I may do sliders for some adjustability, even though I'm caging the car.

Did you look at wedge at all or just went straight to planted?

https://cantrellmotorsport.com/produ...slimline-knobs

My choice to with Planted was down to the fact that information was easily available on things like the exact Recaro P/N of the sliders that were compatible with them. For example, the 0.70.9NT in my case. I like knowing exactly what I'm getting. When Fesler gave me a quote for sliders and brackets, no manufacturer was listed for either and no P/N so I have no clue what they were selling me. I bought my brackets and sliders through CARiD, plus I found a discount code that saved me like $90 on everything. Planted didn't even have the sliders I needed in stock ut CARiD did. All kind of a gamble during Covid-19 I guess lol.

Only thing I would have done differently is have the snap for the shoulder belt loops flipped so it's at the bottom.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I really appreciate your thorough review. These are great looking seats.

Quote Originally Posted by itguy View Post
      I really appreciate your thorough review. These are great looking seats.
      Thank you. I purchased custom covers for them and only remove the covers for car shows. I still think the seats represent some of the best money spent on my car and are the anchor for my interior design.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      I don't have pictures of them in my car because I installed them with the seat covers. Next time I take the covers off I'll take some daylight pics and update this post.
      Look forward to seeing them in. I've been contemplating different seats, because my ProCar Rallys are a little narrow and the seat backs aren't tall enough. I wish I could find a place to go sit in these dang things.
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

I took some photos at a car show a few months back, I'll track them down and post them. It was really sunny tho and the lens on my camera phone didn't really do them justice IMO.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Here are the pics I have of them installed.

Name:  P_20211010_095458.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  266.9 KBName:  P_20211010_095504.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  265.3 KBName:  P_20211010_095507.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  377.0 KBName:  P_20211010_095520.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  335.1 KBName:  P_20211010_095529.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  358.0 KB
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Do you have a pic of how far they fold forward for rear seat access? I noticed the ProCar Rally suck in that regards.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

I don't, but they fold about halfway to the steering wheel compared to the stock seat that touched the steering wheel. A teen or a fit and nimble adult could get back there, for others you would need to slide the seat all the way forward in addition to folding IMO.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

They look great in there. I really like the seat belt straps. I took some measurements and sent my shoulder tethers back to Morris to be remade longer. I got them sitting on my shoulders now instead of my neck, but the seat shoulder straps would still be nice for keeping the buckles handy (sucks reaching back and grabbing the wrong part of the belt!).

Thanks for posting the photos and your impressions. Car looks great
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com