Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Cowl Opening

Cowl Opening

On my 68 Chevelle, I have 3 vent openings where the wiper arms reside. This same area looks like it funnels air down to the kick panels where you can control the amount of air coming through. Not that I've ever looked in depth but what happens when it rains. Where does the water go. This may sound like a stupid question but that's all I got, ha.

Thanks in advance
      Perry

There are drain openings for the water to run out. They're something that should be checked and cleaned periodically because it's the dirt/leaves/debris buildup that holds the moisture that starts the rust so common in that area.
      Tracey

Thanks Tracey. I am not using th kick panel vent opening as vents. I've filled it up with speakers. My speakers mount into a can that will protect th speakers from moisture. So another question is, where are the Adrain holes. Are they up high in the cowl opening or down at the bottom below here the speaker sits. Would I be able to see the drain hole from the below the car?

Thanks again,
      Perry

They'll be down at the bottom where water will flow. They may not be an actual "hole". They could be openings along the area where two pieces of the cowl/floor/etc come together. Look around, I'm sure you'll find them.
      Tracey

Don't know how close the Chevelle might be to the Nova body style but there may be a rectangular slot that allows water and air to get into the cowl sides and then direct it into the rocker sills and then have an exit out in the rear inside of the rocker sill by the rear tire opening.

Some of the Nova's and Camaro's also had rubber rectangular flaps on the rear opening of the rocker sill by the rear tirebut most probably went by the wayside over time.

Jim

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com