Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Muffler suggestions.

1967 GTO
      I’m running 474ci with mild roller and mild build. Right now I’m running 3” with 40 series flow masters. They exit just before rear tire on each side. As of now the exhaust is just too loud and sloppy. I can’t hear my stereo. I’d like something that is a little more kid friendly but gets raspy when in higher rpms. I will likely route the exhaust to exit in the back.

I run the Borla Pro XS mufflers in 3” with an X-pipe and over the axle tailpipes and love the sound. Mellow at cruising and they have a good sound when you step in it. I had Flowmasters before with turn-downs that I could remove and bolt tailpipes on and just running the tailpipes made a huge difference so adding tailpipes might be a possibility as well if you’re just wanting to tone it down a bit.
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

https://pontiacstreetperformance.com/psp/exhaust.html

I'm running the stainless 16" Dynomax Super Turbos on my 440cid Pontiac with a 248/260 SR and they really quieted it down with 2.5" pipes and an X-pipe vs the 3" straight through mufflers I had before with 3" pipe / H-pipe / 3" tails.

While the 3" with the straight through style 14" case mufflers (Magnaflow) sounded cool when idling into a parking lot they were just too loud for cruising and actually enjoying the car. I went with what I felt would be the quietest solution while losing the least amount of performance based on the article above. I love the end result! Muscle car lope/rumble at idle... enjoyable when cruising with the windows down... I can hear the stereo now... and it makes glorious noises when I mash the pedal!

If you read the above article you could keep your 3" in front of the mufflers and 2.5" tailpipes without affecting performance. My vote would be between the biggest Dynomax muffler you can fit or the Borla ProXS mentioned above. Both with an X-pipe. HTH
      Attached Images Attached Images        
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Another vote for Dynomax here.
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

The dynomax race bullets sound really good too. Very deep rumble no rasp when you get on it
      1969 frost green camaro
      LS3
      Speedtech pro touring front subframe
      ridetech rear 4-link
      moser 12 bolt eaton tru trac 3.73

Borla ProXS

Do you have a sound clip?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OLDFLM View Post
      https://pontiacstreetperformance.com/psp/exhaust.html

I'm running the stainless 16" Dynomax Super Turbos on my 440cid Pontiac with a 248/260 SR and they really quieted it down with 2.5" pipes and an X-pipe vs the 3" straight through mufflers I had before with 3" pipe / H-pipe / 3" tails.

While the 3" with the straight through style 14" case mufflers (Magnaflow) sounded cool when idling into a parking lot they were just too loud for cruising and actually enjoying the car. I went with what I felt would be the quietest solution while losing the least amount of performance based on the article above. I love the end result! Muscle car lope/rumble at idle... enjoyable when cruising with the windows down... I can hear the stereo now... and it makes glorious noises when I mash the pedal!

If you read the above article you could keep your 3" in front of the mufflers and 2.5" tailpipes without affecting performance. My vote would be between the biggest Dynomax muffler you can fit or the Borla ProXS mentioned above. Both with an X-pipe. HTH

Any sound clips?

Here’s a clip of my car on the dyno with the 3” Borla’s...

https://youtu.be/CUpwuXv3b8s
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

As you know exhaust sound is highly subjective.... but...

FWIW: My 69 Camaro had Flowmasters when I bought it and I didn't like them at all.
      I swapped them out for Dynomax Super Turbos and now I think it is too quiet.
      1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B (Jan 69) LOS Build

I have the Borla ProXS on my Cougar and I like them a lot. If you want it quieter and you have the room, get the 19" case muffler (which is what I have).

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

borla, magnaflow, dynomax
      ...life is too short, live for today, tomorrow isn't guaranteed

Quote Originally Posted by 77thor View Post
      As you know exhaust sound is highly subjective.... but...

FWIW: My 69 Camaro had Flowmasters when I bought it and I didn't like them at all.
      I swapped them out for Dynomax Super Turbos and now I think it is too quiet.

I couldn’t agree more. I’d like something in the middle. Right now at idle in my garage its 95 decibels. Kids are scared of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gmachine1911 View Post
      Here’s a clip of my car on the dyno with the 3” Borla’s...

https://youtu.be/CUpwuXv3b8s

damn that sounds good and looks even better!!

...life is too short, live for today, tomorrow isn't guaranteed

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com