Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Help converting a 69 camaro standard to RS

Okay so my car was originally a standard run of the mill 69 camaro, I would like to convert just the front end to a RS front end. I’ve read some places the fenders and inners need to be replaced others say you don’t need to do all that? I have speedtechs deep front tubs for the extreme frame do I need to modify them to run the hideaways? Also I was planning on using the DSE motors

Country Flag: United States
      I prefer the Retro Electro RS kit over the DSE. I’ve installed both. The DSE is a bit of a kludge imho. I have Anvil inner fenders and did have to drill a hole in them. You can use standard fenders by attaching brackets if yours don’t have them.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I prefer the Retro Electro RS kit over the DSE. I’ve installed both. The DSE is a bit of a kludge imho. I have Anvil inner fenders and did have to drill a hole in them. You can use standard fenders by attaching brackets if yours don’t have them.

Don
      I'm with Don on the headlight motors... Retro Electro kit is much simpler I have used two kits with out any issues.
      You can also get these adapter for the fenders.
      1969 Camaro Rally Sport Fender Conversion Adapter Brackets, Pair (camarocentral.com)

BB

3rd for the Retro-Electro although I have a 68 but they were great to install

Don
      Does the retro kit come with a template on where to cut the inner fenders such as the DSE?

Not sure if they included templates for 69RS. I did 67 & 68's.
      Here is the instructions...
      Retro-Electro instructions, PN-004 (retro-electro.net)

BB

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by 71maroesteban View Post
      Does the retro kit come with a template on where to cut the inner fenders such as the DSE?
      You just have to drill one hole, not very complex. It’s just a clearance hole for the motor, position is not critical.

As I said, the Retro Electro solution is simpler and more elegant than the DSE imho...

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

You just have to drill one hole, not very complex. It’s just a clearance hole for the motor, position is not critical.

As I said, the Retro Electro solution is simpler and more elegant than the DSE imho...

Don
      Thank you for the insight Don. I’ll go ahead and do the retro electric

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com