Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

TCI 6X, no electronic engine braking

I would like to start a new thread and get more input on this issue, I previously posted my story about the problems with TCI 6X and lack of engine braking under Opinions on 4L80E converted 6-speed automatics on this site. TCI is of no help and they don't care about Pro-Touring cars evidently, so I have been searching and calling other tech advisers ever since I installed the 6X in an effort to figure out a way to get engine braking in electronic bump shift mode. I thought I had found the answer with Sonnax Smart-Tech overrun clutch valve kit 34200-40K. It looked like a good fix and works on a 4l80e valve body for engine braking. But then I saw detailed posts from years ago on https://www.hotrodders.com/threads/6...-4l80e.285594/ which had pictures of the TCI valve body, and it looks like TCI has an extra solenoid in the valve body where the Sonnax Smart-Tech kit would be installed. I am so frustrated as the PCS 6 speed valve body had electronic engine braking and TCI does not, and they will not do anything about it. As I have mentioned before TCI's advertising on what the TCI 6X is used for which includes Pro-Touring cars is totally misleading.

Simple put is there anyway to make the TCI 6x valve body do engine braking in electronic shift mode?

If not, has anyone put a standard valve body in a 6X with the Smart-Tech overrun clutch valve and just used the transmission as a standard 4 speed with the TCI TCU?

Pete
      71 Camaro RS, LQ4
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Country Flag: United States
      TCI doesn't state engine braking on the 6X .... and they have an extra solenoid so it is because its basically an electric gear split, making a 4 speed into a 6 speed,, that is what i was told and why for autocross they had us use other transmissions

I'm a sponsored TCI driver and their engine braking builds for autocross/track day are the 700r4 and the 4l60e I used the 700r4 in suzys wagon and the 4l60e in the camaro

Thank you, however one would believe that "most functional and modern drivetrain combination on the market " with the "latest developments in drivetrain technology, TCI® has developed an innovative automatic transmission for Pro Touring" would have engine braking. Also all their installation manuals and tech reps said that it will "hold" whatever gear you have it in when shifting electronically in bump shifting mode. As you know a Pro Touring car by definition (see Wikipedia) is used on auto cross tracks, so engine braking is a must.

I am trying to avoid returning it, so I would appreciate anyone with a technical solution to answer my questions, as TCI says they have no engineers that know this transmission to assist me and the gentleman that designed the 6X has passed away.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com