Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Convertible seats with integrated belts

Has anyone tried using seats with the top belt integrated in the seat side or headrest area, like in a convertible BMW seat? That seems like it would be an easy fix to lap belt only issue. See attached photo:

Name:  764E9B1F-3E06-4A6E-81B6-5A37E7DA8036.jpeg
Views: 2769
Size:  102.0 KB

Country Flag: United States
      I used a set of Caddy CTS seats, designed similarly to those, in an 87 S10. I have no pics available. Worked great for what it was supposed to do, as I was in an accident that had me run into the side of another car at 40MPH when they ran a stop sign.
      You will want to reinforce the floor pan where the seat attaches, because if your car didn't come with this style of seat the floor pan may not be strong enough to hold. On non-integrated, the seat belt attaches at least two different points than the seat does, so the seat's mounting point is only expected to hold the seat in place in an accident while the seat belt is expected to hold you plus possibly the seat. Trying to hold an extra 150-300lbs on top of the seat without the extra holding power of a belt might cause the seat to rip out of the floor in an accident. What I did on mine (this was a real concern to me) was to use a piece of angle iron to connect the two front and two rear seat bolts together, extending a couple of inches past the bolts on either side. This way, the seat would have to rip the whole floor out to break loose. Worked well too, when I examined the floor after the above accident, the floor pan didn't even show any sign of flex.

In case anyone is interested, I'd never use the CTS seats again, nor would I use any other GM seats designed similarly. The top belt fit me like crap across the chest and would dig into my neck, and I'm a tall person. A short person would probably find the belt trying to ride across their face. Those BMW belts look like they adjust, and the belt comes off the top of the seat at a better angle than the GM seats did.

Morris Classic Concepts has 3-point seat belts for Convertibles.
      We have a Patented design.Bolt in with very little modification.
      The modification is to the trim that fits around the power top cover
      on the side panel. These are also year and car specific.
      Any questions call us 864-987-0032
      Thx, Billy

To see an installation of the Convertible 3-points go to www.morrisclassic.com
      click on about, videos, scroll down to 67-69 camaro/firebird seat belt install.
      Billy

Thanks for the reply. As far as the Morris solution, although nice, I was intending on using the modern convertible seats in a hardtop coupe. And would prefer not mounting the third connection to the roof area.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com