Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1985 Monte Carlo Redline

Hello all, just joined the forum and looking forward to getting to some events.

I've owned this '85 since '87 and it's time to transform it one more time. She developed a mechanical miss and while pulling the engine I got a little carried away. First the front clip, then the interior and finally I had her to the point of separating body from chassis. That's when I realized (actually well before that) that I may not have the facilities or time to do her myself. Now with a little help from Kenny's Rod Shop (KRS) here in Boise, she'll get finished up. KRS will do any custom body work, paint and final assembly. I'll do the work on the suspension.

I'm not looking to run her on the track. Well, maybe just once or twice to see what she'll do. I just want a nice weekend driver that might get some spectator votes at local car shows. Since this won't see the track that much, no need for chassis stiffening. So the suspension will be a QA1 Stage 2 setup. That should provide a much nicer driving experience. A Currie 12 bolt will go out back to replace the one wheel blunder 10 bolt.

Under the hood will be a GM Performance LS376/480 with 495 HP backed by a 4L70E. All connect and cruise for now. When finances settle, maybe a Terminator X setup.

Paint, she will be going back to her original black with a couple changes. SS stripes will go on in flat black, but with a red outline. The 6th gen emblems will go back on and remain red. So hence the redline theme.

So now for the visuals. This is how She looked before I tore her apart.
      Name:  i-WRRCZ7t-M.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  91.0 KB
      Front Clip removed
      Name:  i-cRL8HXt-M.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  69.9 KB
      355 and TH200R4 out
      Name:  i-2T47cvd-M.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  93.9 KB
      Empty engine bay
      Name:  i-6N6mXfP-M.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  105.9 KB
      Clean Frame Horn and floor pan
      Name:  i-TpkpCkP-M.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  75.7 KB Name:  i-NjFxHzT-M.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  93.3 KB

And now for what will be going in.
      Name:  i-fZLtTHW-M.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  91.8 KB

So I plan on adding to this post as often as I can. That means she will be getting done and I will be able to drive her. Just waiting on KRS's paint shop to clear some projects and she'll be on her way.

Stay tuned
      BoiseSS - 1985 Monte Carlo SS

Under Construction (Again)

Just a quick post for a tiny update. I got some dress work done on the LS3. I'm still waiting on the hose fittings for the fuel rail crossover. But got the valve covers painted and installed. Helpful hint, if anyone ever gets the Proform coil pack relocation kit that I have, assemble it off the engine. If you drop one of the washers, they WILL make it under the manifold onto the valley pan.. So I had a set of valve cover stickers made for an old school look. Here is what it looks like now.

Name:  i-zbhzxZR-L.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  159.8 KB
      Name:  i-FkMC2wb-L.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  176.4 KB
      Name:  i-9fqB6x9-L.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  177.7 KB

Now I have a question for you all. What should I do with the oil pan? Should it stay bare aluminum, paint it red or paint it black?

Remember it is going into an '85 Monte so it won't be seen unless I set up mirrors at a show.

I never could force myself to paint an aluminum engine, but if you are going for a traditional look with painted block, then I would paint the pan. Otherwise it will look like an iron 5.3 with painted block.

Just a quick parts update. I'm going with Dakota Digital RTX series for the dash gauges. I want to replace the ash tray in front of the console with the two gauge set up from Dixie Restoration Depot. So I asked Dakota Digital to make a couple matching gauges. Fuel pressure and trans temp. Well they showed up yesterday and I'm stoked. They turned out perfect.

Name:  i-Lq7JT4p-M.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  97.5 KB
      Name:  i-G3jr8G7-M.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  101.8 KB
      Name:  i-hxrmMnH-M.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  89.6 KB

More parts arriving today. Will post them tonight.

Love this build!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Those extra matching gauges are sweet...
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Very nice!

Just a parts update. Finally the entire suspension kit showed up. Friday the Currie rear end shows up. Now I just have to wait on the shop to say they're ready for me. They'll remove the body and give me the frame back to work on it while the body is at paint. Getting itchy to start work and all the parts piled up in the garage doesn't help.

Here are all the pretty bits.
      Name:  i-chj4jdB-M.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  58.6 KB
      Name:  i-PfjCdtc-M.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  61.7 KB
      Name:  i-smK3Xpm-M.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  74.5 KB
      Name:  i-QKh5Ht5-M.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  68.2 KB
      Name:  i-7Xv8GH4-M.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  77.7 KB
      Name:  i-DSKt9tj-M.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  80.0 KB

Was it easy working with DD to get the little gauges?

Absolutely. It took a little longer because of COVID slowdown, but all I had to do was send sales an email (Scott Johnson) and the rest was easy.

Just a quick update. Just got back my rendering from KEG Digital Garage. I'm really happy with it. They even chose an appropriate background without asking.

What do you think?

Name:  i-r9KnHvC-L.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  131.8 KB

Excellent choice. I was back and forth between late 80’s MC or a early 70’s Chevelle (the two cars I coveted most groing up in the 90’s

Love almost everything about the build except how the wheels look in the rebdering. Not my cup of tea but if you like them then good on you.

Absolutely love the rest including redline theme

I like the direction this project is going!
      Enjoy digging over the bare chasis, that is the best access for all the new parts!
      Keep the pictures rolling when you can!
      Dave
      84 Monte SS - just a few bolt-ons

Most impressed with the fact that you cut your table contours to fit the walls.

Well, it's been QUITE awhile since I updated this thread. Life and all....Well the car is FINALLY in the paint shop. Owner says the door handle mods should be done soon. Hoping to get progress pics soon. The shop will reassemble the car and block it on frame. Once blocking is done, they pull body off frame and give it to me for the chassis and suspension work. The long wait kills me!

EDIT: Well the photos are in. Not much, but it's progress. Kindig flush handles going in.
      Name:  i-r7gDNZB-M.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  60.5 KBName:  i-BFpS7qZ-M.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  58.2 KB

Well the car is progressing at the paint shop. With that in mind I decided to start a YouTube series on me working on the chassis. I've got the first episode done and posted, link is below. This first episode is just a rehashing of what I've already covered here. Take a look and let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/_McAqDfyYM0

It's at least closer to being done!

Ok all, it's been a long time between posts. I finally got the frame from the body shop and started work on it. Got it stripped down and boxed. Then it was off to the powder coaters. Finally, I've got it back as a chassis. Instead of pics, I'll post my latest Youtube vid.

http://youtu.be/a4Lr9k482JQ

Okay, I'm done with my portion of the build. My responsibility was the chassis. I got the "old" chassis back from the body shop and started work stripping it down and boxing the frame. Got it back from the powder coaters and started putting the new stuff on. Well this last weekend I got the engine and tranny three pointed. Yesterday, I finished my portion by "hanging" the exhaust. She looks pretty.

Name:  i-FzM53xC-L.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  217.2 KB Name:  i-CbrWTWM-L.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  112.0 KB Name:  i-cwQ5HPL-L.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  108.5 KB Name:  i-w29bGSP-L.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  199.2 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com