Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Has anybody heard of hydroshox?

I'm very curious about this. I don't think I need a full 4 inch raise. I do think a 2 inch could suffice for my needs. 3 inch on the track and 5 on the street. I'm also wondering if there is adjustable dampening. I'm going to email them to find out more details. Thoughts from you guys?

https://www.mittlerbros.com/4-hydroshox-kit.html

Country Flag: United States
      I asked the same question a while ago. No responses.

My concerns are the relatively short shock stroke and short springs.

I see them being used on Instagram.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

What problem are they designed to solve?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Country Flag: Canada
      actual shock travel looks terrible.
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

It looks like they are street cars that want that certain look. No adjustability when it comes to dampening. Great concept but for a corner carver that needs specific valving this won't work.

From what I've seen, the spring/perch/etc stay static so no changes in settings happen regardless of ride height. Easier to share this video. Neat idea but HIDEOUSLY expensive unless that's exactly what you want in a suspension.

https://youtu.be/U84xBWhOaLo
      Tracey

If you want that option Id look at the ridetech TQ shockwave series
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square

Shockwaves are not the same thing.

The hydroshox (JRi has a version of this as well) are a standard coilover with a hydraulic cylinder on the bottom of the shock body. That cylinder actuates independently of the shock/spring to raise or lower ride height.

Some modern supercars do the same thing, usually just in the front.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Jimmy ran these on their "No Recess" C10 racetruck last August. The idea was a coilover that could raise or lower ride height without affecting the shock travel itself. While they do work for that purpose, I personally still think there is some work to be done to refine the true performance for the type of vehicles most of us are building. He was using them to win the challenge of a top 3 finish overall and laying frame. Even then they can't offer too much stroke because then the overall package becomes too long.

Think of this as a hot rodder's version of "Nose Lift" like you get in a Lambo or Ferrari to allow entering or exiting areas without scraping such a low vehicle.

Also there is the issue of suspension geometry. You can't drive around at various ride heights because then your handling is highly inconsistent. So this isn't for someone that wants variable ride height. This is purely for show or getting past an obstacle.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

I was looking at them for my 59 El Camino on an Ironworks frame. Ride height will be low and wanted the ability to increase the ride height temporarily when needed. It won’t be a corner carving machine, just a cruiser.

I looked at Shockwaves but the diameter is too large to fit.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I was just looking through the jri website, their system is double adjustable which is what I was looking for. Now if we could adapt a ride height system like that and the active suspension from dsc I would be all over that. I'd be able to adjust every part of the suspension from inside the cockpit. Im working on a pushrod suspension for the front and rear so I don't really have any real constraints when it comes to how long or wide the coil over needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      Jimmy ran these on their "No Recess" C10 racetruck last August. The idea was a coilover that could raise or lower ride height without affecting the shock travel itself. While they do work for that purpose, I personally still think there is some work to be done to refine the true performance for the type of vehicles most of us are building. He was using them to win the challenge of a top 3 finish overall and laying frame. Even then they can't offer too much stroke because then the overall package becomes too long.

Think of this as a hot rodder's version of "Nose Lift" like you get in a Lambo or Ferrari to allow entering or exiting areas without scraping such a low vehicle.

Also there is the issue of suspension geometry. You can't drive around at various ride heights because then your handling is highly inconsistent. So this isn't for someone that wants variable ride height. This is purely for show or getting past an obstacle.
      I thought of the inconsistency in suspension geometry. If I could set my camber, caster and toe when completely lowered for the track, I'd be totally good with that. As of right now with my sla suspension my car sits at 3.5 inches for ride height with a static camber of - 2 degrees. At 5.5 inches of ride height my camber sits at - 0.5 degrees. Im not entirely sure what my dynamic camber gain is because I haven't measured at full droop and compression. I do think 2 inches of lift/drop can optimize my settings for both street and track.

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Shockwaves are not the same thing.

The hydroshox (JRi has a version of this as well) are a standard coilover with a hydraulic cylinder on the bottom of the shock body. That cylinder actuates independently of the shock/spring to raise or lower ride height.

Some modern supercars do the same thing, usually just in the front.
      I understand the differences. Im saying if you want adjustable height with rebound and compression options the shockwave is probably a better route to take seeing how the ones posted are fixed valving. Its a lot to gamble on something that isn't a commonly talked about item.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post

Very well said, my thoughts(in my head) but said much better haha
      Matt

Planit Oahu, Hawaii if you don't belive me check shipping prices
      JRI shocks are what is used on the C10 race truck.
      The purpose is like what the C8 Vet, Lamborghini and other have its for clearance in and out of driveways, and speed bumps. I really don’t think that the purpose is for “track” or “street” right height.
      Just my thought.

Thank you all for clarification, it's kind of unfortunate that the purpose of these are for clearance issues. I'm I'm very curious to see if I can drive daily with it at max lift.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com