Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1947 - 1953 Advance Design

Guys, not sure if this is the best place to post this but I'm looking for some resources on learning about the Chevy 1947 - 1953 Advance Design trucks (with a Pro-Touring bent). I ordered a catalog from Brother's Parts (which is taking forever to get to me) to see what's available in the market but I have to think that there's a forum somewhere that could help to speed my education but I'm not finding it. There is a hashtag on Instagram that helps, but I would really like to learn more about them other than just ogling pictures. My biggest concern right now is that I've read or seen a couple of sources that indicate that those of us who might be, uh, shall we say, above average in the avoirdupois category are not going to be comfortable behind the wheel.

There are two of these babies literally within blocks of my house, both sitting neglected (one is a '54 I gather from the grill, which does nothing for me!) (this is in the heart of Silicon Valley, so not an everyday occurrence) and the discovery of the other one of them has gotten my mind wandering on possibilities.... Thanks.

Steve

What do you want to know? I drove one everyday for a year and half and put 30,000 miles on it. It was my only vehicle.

There is not a lot of room in them. The keys to being comfortable are keeping a bench seat, making sure the seat back is as thin as possible, and keeping the seat bottom high enough that your legs are supported.

Lots of solid info about the trucks in general here. https://oldchevytrucks.com/blog/inde...icle-listings/

ProTouring is a pretty vague description of intended use. If you mean not suck to drive, then buy a chassis from someone. They're cheap.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

I built one on a bagged No Limit Engineering frame with an LS and 4L80E. Ride quality was excellent as was handling. A reasonably priced option imho.

Don
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Take a look at 67-72 chevytrucks.com in the 47-59 Chevrolet GMC Pickups message board. Loads of good reading and idea's.
      http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php

Thank you for the info! It is appreciated. Got some reading to do.
      Steve

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I built one on a bagged No Limit Engineering frame with an LS and 4L80E. Ride quality was excellent as was handling. A reasonably priced option imho.

Don
      Rob MacGregor @ No Limit is the coolest guy you could meet. All he wants is for people to enjoy their vehicles and to make them work. I've been to his shop on a number of occasions and always look forward to the next time. I haven't spent a dime at his shop yet he's always welcoming, gives advice at the drop of a hat, and will do everything he can to help you out. He's welcomed car groups in and helped dial in their suspension set ups, even helped my buddy get back on the road after a weld let loose on his rear control arm mount. We had to ratchet strap the axle to move it into the shop: https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...unds&crop=fill

Took a pic of his award winning truck while I was waiting for my buddies to show up: https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...unds&crop=fill
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Icon 4x4 builds these and they look pretty comfy to me. I think they use Art Morrison IRS chassis, but as others have said, there are many options.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I have seen some of the Icon stuff and it looks absolutely amazing, but they are severalfold outside of my spending limit! But I'm really just trying to educate myself right now. Thank you.
      Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
      Rob MacGregor @ No Limit is the coolest guy you could meet. All he wants is for people to enjoy their vehicles and to make them work. I've been to his shop on a number of occasions and always look forward to the next time. I haven't spent a dime at his shop yet he's always welcoming, gives advice at the drop of a hat, and will do everything he can to help you out. He's welcomed car groups in and helped dial in their suspension set ups, even helped my buddy get back on the road after a weld let loose on his rear control arm mount. We had to ratchet strap the axle to move it into the shop: https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...unds&crop=fill

Took a pic of his award winning truck while I was waiting for my buddies to show up: https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...unds&crop=fill
      No Limit made my fantasy short list when I was dreaming about building a truck with a new chassis (plus Roadster Shop and Art Morrison). There are a lot of opportunities out there. But I would have to sell my Camaro and I'm not certain I'm ready for that just yet.
      Steve

If you are on a budget consider the kits from code 504 that adapt an S10 frame. Lower on the performance scale but lower cost.

I’m going this route on a 46 Chevy pickup build.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Tre5 customs just finished a pretty nice pro touring one they named bad apple and have built a few others. Make sure you keep an open mind on the 67-72chevytruck forum. A lot of the people on the 47-55 section are not very helpful or open to modern mods to these trucks.

Im 6'6" and 225 and have 2 53s that I fit in. One is all stock and not comfortable, the other is mid-build and a aftermarket seat(like snowden) will work wonders in making you fit if you are a bigger guy. The stock seat and wheel are not your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by eviltwin_1987 View Post
      Tre5 customs just finished a pretty nice pro touring one they named bad apple and have built a few others. Make sure you keep an open mind on the 67-72chevytruck forum. A lot of the people on the 47-55 section are not very helpful or open to modern mods to these trucks.

Im 6'6" and 225 and have 2 53s that I fit in. One is all stock and not comfortable, the other is mid-build and a aftermarket seat(like snowden) will work wonders in making you fit if you are a bigger guy. The stock seat and wheel are not your friend.
      Good info, thanks. "Tall" is not my problem... :-(
      Steve

Quote Originally Posted by bootlegger View Post
      Take a look at 67-72 chevytrucks.com in the 47-59 Chevrolet GMC Pickups message board. Loads of good reading and idea's.
      http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php
      Wouldn't have thought of this forum, based on the name, but it is a good starting point, thank you.
      Steve

Then a new seat and a tilt column with smaller wheel will be the ticket for you. Which I guess if your doing a protouring truck, thats just standard stuff.

Since this spammer bumped this.....

If anyone has one of these trucks and wants to part with the factory seat sliders, I need a set bad.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post

If anyone has one of these trucks and wants to part with the factory seat sliders, I need a set bad.
      Good luck! I have found a lot of info from this thread and I appreciate everyone's help.
      Steve

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post

Pretty sure I have a set.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com