Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

$2500 to spend on suspension. I Don't know where to start. 67 El Camino

I have about $2500 set aside for the suspension on my 67 el camino. As it sits currently it has poly bushings throughout, boxed rear control arms, boxed frame, stock everything else. My father started a frame off resto and it's all new steering and suspension, just stock. I will be LS2/6l90e swapping it this year. I want to do a 9" rear too. My plan is to drive my kids to hockey practice and enjoy it on twisty back roads. I keep reading conflicting info on of front coilovers are a good idea or not. I'm not sure how to know if one brand upper/lower front control arms are better than the other to justify the hundreds of dollars in price difference (QA1 vs DSE)

Country Flag: United States
      Call UMI
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Yes, some brands DO justify the added expense when brand A fits like a glove and brand B needs to involve grinding ,hammering, or other compromises.
      I went with ridetech on my wagon. Awesome stuff, all the way down to even how it's packaged for shipping. I wanted a few braces that they don't make so I sourced them from another well know company, not cheap either. EVERY one of their parts needed me to do something to make it fit. Some I didn't even bother trying and never installed. Piss poor instructions. Missing hardware because they just chucked everything in a box in sandwich bags of all things.

Needless to say you can see where your extra money goes.
      Tracey

From a place you will not see comes a sound you will not hear....

67 Camaro In progress

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Tap-67-camaro

Does your budget include doing brakes as well? May want to figure that into what you're doing as well.

Brakes are next. I'll be doing rear disc when I do the 9" and a larger front disc with CTSV calipers most likely.

Country Flag: Australia
      ridetech streetgrip if you are planning to drive mainly on the street
      Roger Andrews

68 Camaro Convertible LS1 6 speed
      72 C10 Stepside 350 4L60e - oldskool
      71 K5 Blazer

Check this thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...pension-advice

Just did 1,008 mile round trip to visit wrenching buddies in GA, went around the Suches Loop, wouldn't change anything on my setup except for better tires, setup performed perfectly and was comfortable 300 mile highway ride to and from.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

I have Kits or can create a Custom Package within your Budget Range

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=...4&maincatid=43

Hey 'vette,
      If you're looking for just a vendors package then any of the suggestions up top will do. I've never had enough money to buy everything from a vendor all at once, so I generally buy parts that make the most difference.

I'll offer a few opinions...
      The key thing is to get your roll centers, and cast/camber corrected. Caster Camber can be obtained with upper a arms. I like the SPC adjustable uppers, but I'm pretty sure you get in the same corrected ballpark when you go with a static tubular from UMI/ridetech/BMR.

If I had the money, I would splurge on a set of AFX spindles and ride off into the sunset a happy man. They are the only ones I've seen that do everything you want plus improve ackerman. I run stock spindles with taller upper and lower ball joints from Howes, SPC uppers and (as of last winter, lowers from SPC too.). I love the car with this setup, but again, those AFX's....mmmmmm

I've never been a fan of coilovers. maybe real high end ones (not QA1) make sense for cars that compete, but most a bodies aren't actually competing. They're usually having fun on backroads and autocrossing. I'm sure there's guys that have different opinions, but I think money is better spent elsewhere.

Shocks however, are the best place to drop some coin. some quality double adjustables are expensive, but allow your car to behave exactly as you want it to. I run Varishock 2's, and I'd never use anything else.

I never plan to a have a different fun car, me and this 442 have been through waay too much to upgrade. But I'll tell you, after 15 years of driving it, the day that I bolted on the Fays2Watts link, it changed my perception of what this car was capable of. I have a post on here about my experience with having 2 roll centers simultaneously, and how it didn't affect me until I had the roll center adjusted to the extremes. I never noticed how much the rear laterally shifted until the watts locked that thing in place. I've got a couple old Navy buds with A bodies and after they drove mine with the watts they saw how stable the rear end was when diving into a corner.

I hope this was helpful.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Thanks for the responses everyone. That was a great response jetmech442!

I built my 64 GTO with AFX spindles, SPC arms, SPC springs, Hellwig sway bars, Currietrac rear arms, Turn One steering box, and Bilstein shocks. The ride and handling were excellent. Great thing about AFX spindles is you can run affordable C5/6 brakes.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

What type/size tires will you be running? A suspension optimized for 15" Radial T/A's will be a lot different that one setup for wide, low profile 200TW tires.

I'm generally not a fan of the "hybrid" style coil overs since they put side load on the shock shaft and are hard on lower control arms (unless you get ones that are specifically designed for that type of setup). I'd run factory style shocks and springs unless you want to go "all the way" with a true coilover setup with weld-in mounts, but that'd put you way over budget.

I'm also not a fan of throwing aftermarket control arms at everything. If your control arms are rebuilt and in good shape, there's no real reason to change them unless you're going for >5 degrees caster in the front. Tubular control arms look cool, but they're usually heavier than stock, sometimes don't include provisions for bumpstops, etc. Polyurethane bushings wouldn't have been my first choice, especially in the back, but you can get away with them with the flexy stock rear arms.

My focus would be on getting springs and sway bars with rates appropriate for your tires, weight, and intended use, and then buy a nice set of adjustable shocks and carefully dial them in to your liking.

The AFX spindles are great but probably out of budget. Tall ball joints will get you many of the same benefits.
      - Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by stab6902 View Post
      Tubular control arms look cool, but they're usually heavier than stock, sometimes don't include provisions for bumpstops, etc. Polyurethane bushings wouldn't have been my first choice, especially in the back, but you can get away with them with the flexy stock rear arms.
      Our Tubular A-Arms are Lighter and Stronger than Stock, have Bumpstops and Billet OffSet Cross-shafts

Why is it that you don't like Polyurethane? Poly is Stronger than Rubber and not meant to Bind like Rubber. Everyplace that we use a Poly Bushing, there will be a Zerk ( Grease Fitting) so that they Rotate properly without Noise

Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
      Our Tubular A-Arms are Lighter and Stronger than Stock, have Bumpstops and Billet OffSet Cross-shafts

Why is it that you don't like Polyurethane? Poly is Stronger than Rubber and not meant to Bind like Rubber. Everyplace that we use a Poly Bushing, there will be a Zerk ( Grease Fitting) so that they Rotate properly without Noise
      To start I'm a long time BMR customer (I recommend your springs to everyone) and I like your A-arms better than most of the others on the market. I totally believe yours are stronger than stock. What's the weight of yours vs stock out of curiosity? Is the lower ball joint pushed forward at all to help add caster? I personally prefer taller bump stops like the ZQ8 bump stops the SPC arms use, but I understand there are different schools of thought on that.

I've had greaseable polyurethane bushings on a couple cars and every one of them has squeaked eventually. Most of the time regreasing them helped with the noise, but it usually came back. I also have general stiction and cold flow concerns with with poly. Rubber bounces back, while poly "takes a set" much quicker. I've removed polyurethane bushings that were visibly distorted due to cold flow. On the rear of A-bodies especially, the bushings need to be compliant to allow twist without binding. My personal preference is rubber on street cars and delrin if you're spending more time on the track than the street.

These are just my preferences based on my experience.
      - Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by stab6902 View Post
      To start I'm a long time BMR customer (I recommend your springs to everyone) and I like your A-arms better than most of the others on the market. I totally believe yours are stronger than stock. What's the weight of yours vs stock out of curiosity? Is the lower ball joint pushed forward at all to help add caster? I personally prefer taller bump stops like the ZQ8 bump stops the SPC arms use, but I understand there are different schools of thought on that.
      The weight savings isn't much, but it is 2-3 lbs per Arm. I have weighed competitor arms that were Really Heavy (like 8 lbs more than ours) Our Caster Change is a combo of uppers & lowers so yes on the position of the BJ

I actually measured my suspensions pieces as they were going on if you want the data..

Stock 1964 lower arms are 12.5lbs each. Ebay lowers are 17 lbs each.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

I would put you in the streetgrip easy all-around kit and it works great, and the shocks have a million mile warranty.... you can give me a call at the shop tomorrow 931-231-4505 my shop is Suspension Geek , https://suspensiongeek.com/products/...eetgrip-system

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
      I actually measured my suspensions pieces as they were going on if you want the data..

Stock 1964 lower arms are 12.5lbs each. Ebay lowers are 17 lbs each.
      That's good info, thanks for sharing!
      - Ryan

tube arms are not for weight savings its about the rigidity and strength, factory stuff is weak and flimsy, and the sticker and wider tires we run now stress the factory components, also with tube arms there are some geometry correction(added caster) and assistance that happens (ball joint angle for lowered car), and its not just on old cars, the 5th gen camaros rear arms are super flimsy and the cars benefit greatly from tube replacments (more traction and more predictable direction control)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com