Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

67 Chevelle Wiring Routing

I'm planning on mounting the battery and fusebox in the trunk but am running into issues on how to handle the wire routing. I'd like to run the battery cables through the inside and was planning on going under the rear seat but there isn't enough room between the seat frame and the floor pan for the 1 gauge + and -. Also with the fusebox in the back I need to find space to run the wiring between fusebox and the various switches and loads.

Has anyone else done something similar and how did you route the wiring?

Country Flag: United States
      I see you are in KCMO, I am as well!

I like running the battery cables from the back, along the frame rails. You can install pass through bulkheads in the trunk floor for the battery cables. This is how it is done on my GTO and I've had zero issues for almost 20 years.

Why do you want to have the fuse block in the rear? It is a lot more convenient to have the fuse block under the dash, in the stock location, which puts it at a more central location. Depending what you want to do under the hood, I would consider having a power distribution module under the hood.

If you ever need help with the wiring, I have many of the crimping tools needed.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

How i did mine..

Batt cables inside cabin to bulked through terminals on the floor of the passengers side. opens out to the body mount side of the firewall.. nice and hidden.
      From a place you will not see comes a sound you will not hear....

67 Camaro In progress

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Tap-67-camaro

I too vote not to put the fuse block in the trunk. That's a lot of extra wire / weight / complication.. I have a 64 Chevelle, mounted battery in trunk and ran wire over pass rear wheel well, through trunk divider, and exited underneath rear seat with no problem. If you think it's tight you could massage the sheetmetal to allow the cable to pass.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
      I too vote not to put the fuse block in the trunk. That's a lot of extra wire / weight / complication.

I really don't have room under the dash for the Coach Controls box or Holley PDM. I already have the ECU and Dakota Digital cluster box mounted there. I still need to mount the Dakota Digital boxes for OBD II, Climate Control, fan controller, and possibly TPMS. The beauty of the Holley PDM is that I can install the connector for the switches up front and then run an CAN BUS cable back to the PDM. Then I only have to run the larger load wires back up front. The Coach Controls box works similar in that the switches don't carry the load so I can run smaller switch wires to the back and again only have to run the larger load wires back to the front.

I put the rear seat frame/springs in to check clearance on the battery cables. I'm ok on the back but the bottom frame is too close to the cables for comfort. I'm afraid over time that the seat frame will wear through the cable insulation. I'm in process of cutting the floor pan under the seat and installing a trough to allow for clearance. I'll make a cover to install over the trough to protect the cables and all should be good.

Which Holley PDM are you referring to?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Which Holley PDM are you referring to?

Andrew
      Holley Smartwire

https://www.holley.com/products/data...ts/500-KT-SWST Switch module up front and switch panel cable runs to the PDM which is programmable. Downside - Cost

Coach Controls

https://coachcontrols.com/index.php?...roducts_id=123 Lots of features. Downside - relays are board mounted.

FWIW - Here's the trough under the back seat for the battery cables and PDM wires for either Coach Controls or a Holley PDM mounted in the trunk. I still need to finish welding and making the cover. I'm going to run the battery cables along the tunnel and then through the firewall behind the engine to keep them hidden.

The trough is made out of 16 gauge.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com